advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Photographers: What is the best way to back up your shoots?
Posted by: CharlieStango
Date: December 05, 2008 04:00PM
I work at a studio and we have always backed up to hard drives and labeled them with job #'s. We now have about 50 drives and it becomes a hassle finding certain jobs we need. I was thinking about just using DL DVD'S, but most jobs are about 15 to 20 gigs. It just seems like it would be eaiser in the long run to look through a file of DVD's organized by job # then to hook up hard drives and cables everytime. What do you guys do?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Photographers: What is the best way to back up your shoots?
Posted by: DP
Date: December 05, 2008 04:28PM
I think your situation has just gotten out of hand. I have 4 externals and a disk burned as a b/u to the externals. I have the disks organized by the year and stored in that order.
You may have to (or have an assistant) go thru each external and put a sticker on the case ID'ing the jobs contained. Do this before it gets more and more out of control then stick to a more organized way of storage. Any way should work as long as you can stay organized.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 05, 2008 04:31PM
Actually, even before reading the thread I was going to recommend hard drives. You should have two sets - one as backup.

What size drives are you using? It might be worthwhile to go and consolidate some small drives onto a single 1.5TB drive.

Might be time to use a database (filemaker?) to track which drive the jobs are on.

Posted by: jeffNOTjon
Date: December 05, 2008 04:35PM
[www.deathtofilm.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 05, 2008 04:43PM
SATA drives?

how about a dock like this? [www.newegg.com]

i agree about the consolidation of drives -- a couple of 1TB or 1.5TB drives and reaplace all the small ones...

how about bluray? sorta expensive at the start, but cheaper than a bunch of drives

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: mrbill62
Date: December 05, 2008 04:51PM
I also suggest a set of backups kept off site ... just in case.
Posted by: CharlieStango
Date: December 05, 2008 04:59PM
We shoot a lot of fashion catalog work so each page is about 15 gigs or more and we shoot about 250 days a year. I have been using 500 gig firewire drives and I buy them in pairs. The drives take up so much cabinet space and we keep one at the studio and one in storage so it also cost more money then DVD's would. My main concern is storing DVD's for a long time and the media going away.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 05, 2008 05:20PM
So you arent using a tray system?

probably something to look into...

[www.cooldrives.com]

[www.cooldrives.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 05, 2008 05:56PM
>>My main concern is storing DVD's for a long time and the media going away.

Thats a very valid concern. I really don't think optical media can be considered archival.

I know a photographer that has 100s of CDs which he has a very difficult time accessing. He has a very old mac that will do it but thats not a very reliable way get your data.

You're using drives plus cases? I'd consider using a SATA drive docking system, perhaps even something without trays. (trays tend to cost as much as enclosures)

something like this - [www.getusb.info] or this [www.wiebetech.com]

while your data might seem overwhelming, hard drive densities will continue to grow. as it is now, you could consolidate those drives into 1/3 of the space, if not less, by simply moving up to 1.5TB drives. Then you'd only have 17 drives.

Posted by: volcs0
Date: December 05, 2008 07:44PM
I have a local backup of my photos that runs every night. I also use Smugmug as an offsite backup.

For your critical work, you might consider the cloud storage that smugmug offers or directly from Amazon.
[aws.amazon.com]

For me, I'm comfortable having a local mirrored backup and an offsite backup (Smugmug). Smugmug has unlimited storage, BTW.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 06, 2008 02:44AM
I'd go those docking doohickeys and get a buttload of the massive 1.5 TB drives. When the 5 TB drives come out, have an intern/assistant transfer everything over.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: December 06, 2008 10:09AM
What about Retrospect and a tape drive for archival storage.
Make a duplicate to store offsite of course.

Steve
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 06, 2008 05:23PM
tapes are far less convenient, and slower, and I bet more expensive when you factor in the software, drive and tapes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020