Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Whoo hoo! Posting from Leopard on the MBP
Posted by: PeterB
Date: December 18, 2008 11:14PM
Original post here: [forums.macresource.com]

Wow, this is interesting... gonna take some getting used to... good "test drive" for me to see if I like it enough that I might want to think about installing to my home machine ... not sure if it would run well on a Quicksilver 1Ghz dual?

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Whoo hoo! Posting from Leopard on the MBP
Posted by: Doc
Date: December 19, 2008 03:02AM
Maxxed out the RAM in the QS?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: December 19, 2008 08:14AM
I'm still trying to figure out why you would prefer to work on a Quicksilver dual 1ghz vs a brand new macbook pro. the laptop would run rings around the quicksilver.

Date: December 19, 2008 09:03AM
Yep, RAM is maxed out on the QS.

Quicksilver dual 1Ghz is a nice setup ... three monitors, five HD's, two printers, two scanners, Firewire, USB, SCSI, TV in, too many other peripherals to count, etc. Also as I'd posted in the original thread, it's acting as a backup for work and vice-versa.

Date: December 19, 2008 09:08AM
Drives are cheap enough... why don't you try Leopard on an external for awhile and see if it suits you?
Date: December 19, 2008 09:08AM
I get that. Believe me. I have a computer at work and two at home. My point was that outside of extenuating circumstances, one is never used for the other. It would just seem to me that if your main problem is syncing, there's no better solution than to use one computer (the laptop) for "work" tasks. Problem solved. And backups are easy. I'm not trying to be annoying. Just trying to understand your process.

Date: December 19, 2008 09:49AM
Oh yeah, and I forgot the obvious reason: because I really don't have the money right now to upgrade/replace the home machine. That's really why the MBP is so far ahead of everything else I have right now-- because that's a leased machine from my work institution-- versus my home machines, all of which I own.

Doc -- yeah, I may very well do that. Would have to be an external Firewire though, since USB isn't bootable. Anyone have an opinion as to whether a 1Ghz dual G4 will run Leopard decently? (I guess I'll find out!)

bazookaman -- work and home stuff is not so compartmentalized for me as apparently for you -- I do a lot of both on both machines. For example, I handle all my personal email through Mail just as I do my professional email. For that reason too, when I first got the MacBook from work, I asked here (this forum) how to handle the issue about who "owns" the data-- the very good suggestion I got from the people here was to swap out the MacBook's hard drive with one that I personally bought, so that I could just remove it when I was done with the machine (and then swap back in the original hard drive they provided me with). Unfortunately, it seems the hard drive replacement on the MBP isn't nearly so easy as it is on the MacBook?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2008 09:49AM by PeterB.
Date: December 19, 2008 09:54AM
> Unfortunately, it seems the hard drive replacement on the
> MBP isn't nearly so easy as it is on the MacBook?

Which MBP?

If it's the new one with no FW400 then replacing the hard drive is a piece of cake.
Date: December 19, 2008 09:56AM
I've definitely become more compartmentalized over the years. As an example with my latest job, I've not given out my email address to anyone non work related. Its just as easy to check my webmail account at work. And then i don't have any personal emails in my work account. I try to keep work and home separate. Trying harder these days.

Posted by: cyclemax
Date: December 19, 2008 10:56AM
PeterB
Anyone have an opinion as to whether a 1Ghz dual G4 will run Leopard decently? (I guess I'll find out!)

I'm running Leopard on a Sawtooth Mac upgraded with a single 1.5 GHz G4 processor and 1.2 GB ram. Runs great.
Date: December 19, 2008 11:04AM
Doc
> Unfortunately, it seems the hard drive replacement on the
> MBP isn't nearly so easy as it is on the MacBook?

Which MBP?

If it's the new one with no FW400 then replacing the hard drive is a piece of cake.

Hmmm... looks like the one they gave me has both FW 400 and 800 ?

bazookaman
I've definitely become more compartmentalized over the years. As an example with my latest job, I've not given out my email address to anyone non work related. Its just as easy to check my webmail account at work. And then i don't have any personal emails in my work account. I try to keep work and home separate. Trying harder these days.

I am compartmentalized too, in the sense that I keep my email accounts separate -- personal for personal, and work for work, but manage all through Mail, in the same way that I use Address Book and iCal for everything (work and personal).

cyclemax
PeterB
Anyone have an opinion as to whether a 1Ghz dual G4 will run Leopard decently? (I guess I'll find out!)

I'm running Leopard on a Sawtooth Mac upgraded with a single 1.5 GHz G4 processor and 1.2 GB ram. Runs great.

Hmmm, if that's true, then I should definitely give it a try. (Quicksilver is a 2002 1Ghz dual, maxed out on the RAM.) I immediately noticed that Leopard on the MBP is blazingly fast in comparison to how Tiger was on the MB, but I didn't know if that was because of Leopard, because of the faster processor on the MBP, or both?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2008 11:09AM by PeterB.
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: December 19, 2008 11:09AM
PeterB
I immediately noticed that Leopard on the MBP is blazingly fast in comparison to how Tiger was on the MB, but I didn't know if that was because of Leopard, because of the faster processor on the MBP, or both?

When I upgraded from Tiger to Leopard on my Sawtooth, I didn't really notice much of a difference in speed.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 19, 2008 11:28AM
If ram is maxed on your quicksilver then i really don't think it'll have a problem with leopard. i seriously wouldn't hesitate.

also, you could put your home folder on a usb drive (memory stick?) and switch from machine to machine that way.

how long do you think you'll have that loaner MBP? i'd consider migrating from older devices you have to newer ones. it can be a painful process but once you're completely switched it feels good to be on current tech.

Date: December 19, 2008 11:55AM
> also, you could put your home folder on a usb drive (memory
> stick?) and switch from machine to machine that way.

Don't do that.
Date: December 19, 2008 02:48PM
mattkime
If ram is maxed on your quicksilver then i really don't think it'll have a problem with leopard. i seriously wouldn't hesitate.

also, you could put your home folder on a usb drive (memory stick?) and switch from machine to machine that way.

how long do you think you'll have that loaner MBP? i'd consider migrating from older devices you have to newer ones. it can be a painful process but once you're completely switched it feels good to be on current tech.

Apparently the loaner MBP will be mine until March, and then I'll get one of the latest MBP's... my IT department is awesome...

The home equipment, I'd need some bucks to upgrade all that stuff. Also, some of it works perfectly fine doing what it does, so really there's no need to upgrade, other than running the latest OS.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020