advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Why Do You Love/Hate Amazon?
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: January 02, 2009 10:16PM
I've noticed through this and other forums, that people seem to really love or hate Amazon.com. I personally have made many purchases there over the past few years (probably too many) big and small. I discovered last night that an item I had ordered for Christmas was defective, so I had to make my first return to Amazon. The online process for the return was painless. I filled in the reason for the return and stated that I wanted a replacement. I then printed out a prepaid USPS return label. I could have shipped it back by any ground carrier and paid for it and Amazon would reimburse me for the shipping. I have 30 days to return the defective item. Within a few hours, I received an email for Amazon stating that the replacement item had shipped for one day delivery. I will receive it on Monday. I'd have to say that to me, Amazon seems to try and do right by it's customers.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why Do You Love/Hate Amazon?
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: January 02, 2009 10:26PM
Love.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 02, 2009 10:27PM
I have had a couple of mess-ups, but every time, they fixed it right away. They seem to be a company that is at least not trying to screw the customer. There are few of them left.
Posted by: miK.
Date: January 02, 2009 10:32PM
Love 'em... especially the MP3 downloads.
Posted by: TheToddler
Date: January 02, 2009 10:33PM
Love. Customer service has always been top notch. Easy navigating. Painless everything. Nice place to sell items. And $59 Amazon Prime means more orders in 2009!
Posted by: Doc
Date: January 02, 2009 10:36PM
Neither love, nor hate.

They often have good deals. I give them quite a bit of business.

They'll track your browsing and purchasing histories and will frequently raise prices on items that they think you're interested in.

Their free shipping can be very quick or very slow -- mostly slow if you're buying books. And you can't trust their estimated shipping dates as they over-estimate on most orders to make themselves look good and under-estimate on backorders just to screw with your mind.

If you need to speak to a customer service rep and don't call them during West coast time business hours on a weekday, you'll end up speaking with somebody in India with no grasp of English and instructions to make your life as difficult as possible.

Once you learn to work with their idiosyncrasies, there's a lot less frustration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2009 10:37PM by Doc.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 02, 2009 10:40PM
The selection of products sometimes baffles and amazes me. I found out the other day I can order shocks from Amazon (and really Amazon, not some third-party) for my 21 year old minivan and have them shipped via Amazon Prime for about the same price as anywhere else I could find (except it would be ground shipping anywhere else).
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: January 02, 2009 10:42PM
Amazon emasculate man, and man cannot see airplane Amazon princess fly in.

Hate Amazon....
Posted by: Lee3
Date: January 02, 2009 10:50PM
Love- No sales tax and in CA that is 8.25% and rising.
Of course I pay it when I pay my income tax. You know that space where you are supposed to declare sales tax for mail order purchases? ah hahhahha
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 02, 2009 10:53PM
They're good. The only downer is having to wait for what you purchase, but that's the biz.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 02, 2009 10:56PM
So is that the reason that our state's budget is going down the tubes? Seriously, I think the internet exemption for state income taxes has gone far beyond its useful life. If you remember (if you're old enough to), the reason for sales tax exemption was only to help boost the nascent and immature internet as a commercial concept. This practice has outlived its usefulness by about a decade since internet sales already have many other advantages over local business without tax exemptions.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 02, 2009 11:14PM
davester
So is that the reason that our state's budget is going down the tubes? Seriously, I think the internet exemption for state income taxes has gone far beyond its useful life. If you remember (if you're old enough to), the reason for sales tax exemption was only to help boost the nascent and immature internet as a commercial concept. This practice has outlived its usefulness by about a decade since internet sales already have many other advantages over local business without tax exemptions.

The internet exemption is for tax on Internet ACCESS (your ISP bill), it has nothing to do with sales tax on mail order purchases made USING the internet and never did.

wikipedia
Contrary to popular belief, it does not exempt sales made on the internet as they will be taxed at the same rate as non-Internet sales just like mail order sales. The Act did not repeal any state sales or use tax.

[en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 02, 2009 11:16PM
davester

The Internet exemption has nothing to do with state Sales Taxes and whether or not Amazon collects them. The exemption was on any new taxes being levied related to the Internet. Sales tax collection is only required by a company with a "presence" in that state. That goes back to a Supreme Court decision when states tried to require mail order companies collect sales tax for them when they were out of state. If Amazon has a presence in your state, they would be required to collect sales tax, in fact they do in several states:

Amazon.com

Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the states of Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota, or Washington are subject to tax.

There have been several attempts by the states to create reciprocal agreements that would get past the SC decision, but they are not wide spread yet.

Posted by: space-time
Date: January 02, 2009 11:20PM
Doc

They'll track your browsing and purchasing histories and will frequently raise prices on items that they think you're interested in.

That's interesting, I read this statement in several places but so far I have not seen any real proof of it. I was looking at at a bread-maker a few months ago and they raised the price by about 8 bucks, I asked other forum members to check for me and they all saw the new higher price I saw, so I don't think they raised the price only for me, although they definitely track your browsing history, in my case back to maybe 10 years or so. I see books related to some books I bought in 2000 coming up on the main page each time I visit.
Date: January 02, 2009 11:27PM
> I read this statement in several places but so far I have not seen any real proof of it.

You can check to see if the higher price is just for you by checking the price from someone else's computer without logging in.

Putting a DVD in the shopping cart seems to trigger a price-change faster than merely browsing it.
Posted by: maco
Date: January 02, 2009 11:29PM
Love it - Amazon & Amazon Marketplace. Great selection. Good prices. Easy ordering. Fast shipping.
Date: January 02, 2009 11:30PM
Doc
> I read this statement in several places but so far I have not seen any real proof of it.

You can check to see if the higher price is just for you by checking the price from someone else's computer without logging in.

Putting a DVD in the shopping cart seems to trigger a price-change faster than merely browsing it.

that's why I asked on the forum, and everyone reported the same higher price.
Date: January 02, 2009 11:34PM
> that's why I asked on the forum, and everyone reported the same higher price.

One of the perils of such a pricing scheme is that it engenders paranoia so it's hard to tell when they're playing you.

You did the right thing to check instead of just assuming... I hope you checked buy.com and froogle as well. ;)
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 02, 2009 11:41PM
Love. Never had a problem yet.
I use about five computers and I find it hard to believe that Amazon has been able to figure out how to show me the same higher price on all of them, since I am a compulsive cookie-tosser. Anyhow, I never buy anything without Googling to see if I can do better elsewhere (also a compulsion).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2009 11:44PM by $tevie.
Date: January 02, 2009 11:43PM
I make "love" with them about once a month
Date: January 02, 2009 11:51PM
TheToddler
Love. Customer service has always been top notch. Easy navigating. Painless everything. Nice place to sell items. And $59 Amazon Prime means more orders in 2009!

When did Prime drop from $79 to $59?

I've been pretty happy with them overall, I often get Prime shipments in just one day, but I'm sorry to hear that they discontinued their 30 day price protection. I used that 3 times on one order of a just discontinued MacBook Pro last year as they kept dropping the price.
Posted by: volcs0
Date: January 02, 2009 11:58PM
Love it.

I do 90% of my internet shopping at Amazon - the rest at Newegg.

And internet shopping is 90% of my shopping.
Posted by: smanoli
Date: January 03, 2009 12:16AM
Like them, the 10% discount I get for working at a subsidiary doesn't hurt matters either. smiling smiley
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 03, 2009 12:20AM
I get updates on the items in my cart. There are about as many that go down as there are that go up.
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: January 03, 2009 12:29AM
After re-reading the title of this thread, I realized I was supposed to say *why* I either loved or hated Amazon.

I love them because Illinois - specifically Cook County - has one of the highest sales tax rates in the country. Buh-by to that. Second, I've had several exceptionally positive customer service experiences with them. Third, they often have best prices on what I really want and need. Fourth, i can do it all while wearing my fuzzy slippers and ratty bathrobe. There you go.
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: January 03, 2009 12:49AM
I have several items in my cart that I have watched over the past several months. One item in particular goes up and down by $30-$40. Some items fluctuate several times a day by just a few cents. It seems pretty random to me. There was one item that I wanted that I had looked at several times, but the price went up before I added it to my cart. I added it to my cart at the higher price, and the next day it dropped even lower than the original sale price, so I bought it. I often leave items in my cart until they drop to a price I like.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: January 03, 2009 12:58AM
Love them. Pricing with free shipping is almost always the best there is. Not always, but almost. Reviews are consistently more helpful than just about anywhere, and shipping is almost always quicker than estimated.

One thing that would make me happier is to be able to set a preference so that Amazon is always the default merchant. Go ahead and show me 3rd party options in the sidebar, but don't slip them in when I put an item in my cart. I hate having to weed these items out, since the prices usually aren't so competitive when you factor in the shipping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2009 01:02AM by datbeme.
Posted by: Shakes
Date: January 03, 2009 01:43AM
Love them. In California, no tax, free shipping and competitive prices. A year ago I ordered a $1500, 246 pound barbeque. They charged me $ .01 freight shipping.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: January 03, 2009 05:41AM
Love.
They screwed up my momma's ipod order, but made good really fast and painlessly.

Prices are competitive, service is generally fast.
I can buy almost anything through them, and often look there first before entering my info into some other merchant's database.

They're like google in that they don't rest on their past successes and continually strive to make their user experience better and better.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: January 03, 2009 05:53AM
Love!
Amazon Prime, $79.00 a year, ($59.00 intro price) works for whole family.
I can ship to other addresses with the Prime, and after the initial set up for it, it is painless. When you first add a different address it asks you to re-enter your charge card info as a verification and that is a cool check too.
History of purchases goes back for years.
Wish list lets me post the lowest price I have seen in the comments box.
Amazon affiliates are held to Amazon standards and some even have good shipping rates.
Good search engine for what you are looking for.
Reveiws.
Tags to let you know if it is eligible for Prime and shipping rates posted if it is an affiliate without going through a shipping cart hassle.

I remember trying to fill my cart enough to get free shipping. There are sites dedicated to listing items that will bridge the gap. I buy one $8.49 CD with one click and it is FREE TWO DAY shipping.

They are the standard by which I measure others.

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2009 05:55AM by Bernie.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: January 03, 2009 07:21AM
Love.

Their reviews have been a big help in many purchasing decisions over the years, whether or not I bought the item from Amazon.

Their prices seem consistently as good as--or better than--anywhere else.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Dakota
Date: January 03, 2009 10:01AM
If Amazon is such a clear cut choice I wonder why other merchants get any business at all? After all, Amazon sells everything.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: January 03, 2009 10:30AM
Neither love nor hate. Amazon meets my basic expectations, and that's all I care about. I do like datbeme's suggestion about a default to products sold only by Amazon. As I was ordering some things for Christmas, I noticed the lowest price for one of them was from an affiliated vendor, but they made up for their low price by their high shipping charge. It took a while for me to weed through the outsiders before finding a listing where the item was sold and shipped by Amazon. The item price was higher, but the net cost was lower, because the shipping was free. I found having to do that was both annoying and a waste of my time.
Posted by: flightdelayedagain
Date: January 03, 2009 10:46AM
I have used Amazon for several years and always recommend them. When I am looking for a product, I will usually start at their site, check the reviews and then check prices elsewhere. They are not always the cheapest but I most often still buy from them.

There's another company I purchase from that's top notch for computer stuff with excellent service. You may have heard of them - OWC smiling smiley
Posted by: davester
Date: January 03, 2009 12:08PM
GGD
davester

The internet exemption is for tax on Internet ACCESS (your ISP bill), it has nothing to do with sales tax on mail order purchases made USING the internet and never did.

wikipedia
Contrary to popular belief, it does not exempt sales made on the internet as they will be taxed at the same rate as non-Internet sales just like mail order sales. The Act did not repeal any state sales or use tax.

[en.wikipedia.org]

JoeH
The Internet exemption has nothing to do with state Sales Taxes and whether or not Amazon collects them. The exemption was on any new taxes being levied related to the Internet. Sales tax collection is only required by a company with a "presence" in that state. That goes back to a Supreme Court decision when states tried to require mail order companies collect sales tax for them when they were out of state.

How did two of you come up with this? Did you read my post? I nowhere said that I was talking about the Internet Tax Freedom Act. My post was about the internet exemption for sales taxes which is in place for all states where a company does not have a physical presence, and is the reason that out of state internet merchants have an unfair advantage over local merchants. The supreme court ruling that put this in place should be overturned IMHO, since it takes the profits out of local communities.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: January 03, 2009 01:36PM
davester
GGD
davester

wikipedia

[en.wikipedia.org]

JoeH
The Internet exemption has nothing to do with state Sales Taxes and whether or not Amazon collects them. The exemption was on any new taxes being levied related to the Internet. Sales tax collection is only required by a company with a "presence" in that state. That goes back to a Supreme Court decision when states tried to require mail order companies collect sales tax for them when they were out of state.

How did two of you come up with this? Did you read my post? I nowhere said that I was talking about the Internet Tax Freedom Act. My post was about the internet exemption for sales taxes which is in place for all states where a company does not have a physical presence, and is the reason that out of state internet merchants have an unfair advantage over local merchants. The supreme court ruling that put this in place should be overturned IMHO, since it takes the profits out of local communities.

Yes, I read your post. You said:
davester
"I think the internet exemption for state income taxes has gone far beyond its useful life. If you remember (if you're old enough to), the reason for sales tax exemption was only to help boost the nascent and immature internet as a commercial concept."

Could you tell us where this internet promotion tax exemption that you are referring to is documented, and when it was enacted, and when it's useful life began?

We are telling you that no such thing exists related to "sales tax" on purchases using "the Internet". It's related to mail-order sales and existed long before the internet, and nothing was changed about it to promote the Internet.

The only tax exemption specifically related to the internet that in some ways fits the description that you gave ("to help boost the nascent and immature internet as a commercial concept" ) that I am aware of is the Internet Tax Freedom act, and that only applies to Internet Service, and has nothing to do with state sales tax.

So, what exactly were you referring to if it wasn't the Internet Tax Freedom Act.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 03, 2009 01:50PM
davester

I read your post and that is what I could come up with based on what you wrote and because that is the only exemption related to being an "Internet based business". So it seems at least one other person did as well. It is not an "internet exemption for sales taxes", because it applies to sales at all out-of-state sellers. For example, if I go to an auto dealer in New Hampshire which has no general sales tax to buy a car, they might not collect sales tax for my home state of Massachusetts, and can not be required to either. Some dealers will do it as a "service" for the customer to make it easy to roll it into financing for instance. Now my state will collect that sales/use tax, because they will not let me register the car without proof of payment. But besides big ticket items like that, or items bought for a business that would want to expense them into operating costs against profits that would be taxed, the states have no practical method of enforcing use taxes on out-of-state purchases. Same holds if I place an order through the mail, about the closest thing to making an internet purchase.

As for the court decision, you should read up on the history a bit more, the reasoning of the Supreme Court was that a business that did not benefit from services of a state could not be required to collect for that state. The "presence" test was how they determined if a company would get benefit from a state's services funded through those taxes, and is a fairly logical extract from the commerce clauses in the Constitution and the limit on states to impose laws or taxes only on subjects within their jurisdiction.

Now you did not include the part where I listed which states Amazon will collect sales tax for. I will repeat it for you, "Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the states of Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota, or Washington are subject to tax." Amazon and its subsidiaries have actual presences in all those states except NY. There a new law was passed, until its court appeal is heard, Amazon is collecting tax. That might overturn the decision made decades ago if it reaches the Supreme Court, but I doubt it. Outside of those states, Amazon associates have to collect for the states they are in, so you have to pay sales tax if you live in the same state.

Now the reciprocal compacts between some states to collect sales/use taxes have not gone too far. Mostly because it still raises the question of constitutionality, since an external state is imposing the cost of collecting and remitting sales tax on companies outside their jurisdiction. Perhaps if they included reimbursement for the costs it might fly, but no state seems willing to forego any part of the tax money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2009 01:52PM by JoeH.
Posted by: MacGurl
Date: January 03, 2009 05:46PM
Love love love Amazon - I buy from them a LOT and am very satisfied with their service, from top to bottom. They recently took care of me on a damaged DVD set that was well past the time period of the normal window of opportunity for an exchange (I had bought the set, but didn't sit down to watch it right away), but I emailed them about it on a weekend night and they got back to me right away, stating that they would indeed do the exchange, with ppd shipping label for the damaged one, and even shipped the new set out before expecting me to return the old one. I didn't feel they were obligated to replace my original set, but they did, and happily so.

We use Prime shipping here and it quickly pays for itself, with the volume of purchases we make with them. I don't know if the minimum $25 worth of product to qualify for Prime is an introductory thing or what, but all of our qualified Prime items get shipped free, regardless of the total amount of the order - even if it's just a $5 book. I ordered some cheap cat toys for my mom recently and they shipped free to her, each in it's own box that was WAY bigger than the toy inside. I would think that kind of shipping would cost more than the $3 cat toy inside.dunno smiley

edit for typo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2009 05:47PM by MacGurl.
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: January 03, 2009 06:27PM
Amazon is my favorite online merchant. Prior to 2008 I averaged 20 or so orders per year. I just now checked my order history for 2008 and was shocked that I had placed 53 orders. Here is why I like them.

Broad selection of products including many that are not available locally
Good product descriptions
Customer evaluations, including unfavorable ones, to help purchase decision
Competitive prices
Easy return of product damaged in shipment
Specially priced and free mp3 downloads
Prime shipping, Prime shipping, Prime shipping

I'm sure there are other reasons, but that's probably enough.

I also buy quite a bit from buy.com and find newegg.com to be very good to deal with.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: January 05, 2009 12:43AM
Love 'em.

M1 2020 Mac mini (16G 2T) Monterey 12.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs M1 2020 13" MBAir (256G 8G)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020