advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What's the least G4 tower that supports hard drives over 128 GB?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 04, 2009 12:41AM
Without having to use a PCI card?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2009 12:43AM by Dennis S.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What's the least G4 tower that supports hard drives over 128 GB?
Posted by: Doc
Date: January 04, 2009 12:45AM
MDD.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: January 04, 2009 01:02AM
2002 QS

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: January 04, 2009 01:08AM
Single 800Mhz, 933Mhz, and Dual 1Ghz Quicksilvers.
Date: January 04, 2009 01:22AM
'Forgot about that. Yeah. 2002 QS's.
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: January 04, 2009 02:16AM
QS 2002 as noted... or... via FireWire, no capacity limit using a FW drive on any PowerMac G4. I know not the question... but a lot of people with the 128GB IDE/ATA limited controller systems also somethings believe the same limit affects other interfaces. Technically USB 1.1 also option - but not practical as slow as it be.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: January 04, 2009 02:19AM
Hi Larry!
Hope it's not a sick kid keepin' you up . . .

[www.papanicholas.com] coffee smiley
Date: January 04, 2009 02:29AM
I am helping a friend find a late-model G4 tower so he can stick 3 or 4 ATA drives in it without wasting a PCI slot or buying a PCI card for the drives. I have a MDD dual 1.25 like that and I like having several drives in one case.
Date: January 04, 2009 02:31AM
Dennis S
I am helping a friend find a late-model G4 tower so he can stick 3 or 4 ATA drives in it without wasting a PCI slot or buying a PCI card for the drives. I have a MDD dual 1.25 like that and I like having several drives in one case.

You might want to consider leaving the back/bottom bay unused and keeping it at 3-- I lost two different drives in that bay in my MDD 1.25 (had all 4 filled).

Date: January 04, 2009 02:36AM
Is it a heat issue?
Date: January 04, 2009 03:19AM
Dennis S
Is it a heat issue?

Presumably. Could just be a coincidence though. Small sample size and all . . . but I do believe that's a weak spot in that case design.
Unfortunately the back bus is the faster one.

Posted by: Forrest
Date: January 04, 2009 07:49AM
The Intech ATA high capacity driver is an inexpensive option for older G4's at $24.95. I've been using it for a few month on my DA G4 - works fine. I've had (3) hard drives in this beast for years without any problems. The third drive is mounted in the 3.5 inch drive bay underneath the optical drive and shares that cable.
[www.speedtools.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2009 07:50AM by Forrest.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 04, 2009 08:07AM
Dennis,

If it was me, I'd just bite the bullet and buy the PCI card. I faced a similar issue with a G4/466 digital audio model. After consideration, I went with a PCI card and never looked back. Never a problem.

How many PCI cards is your friend using in his at this point? At this stage, if he/she has a spare slot or two, you may as well use PCI cards. That old G4/466 is now at my office. We're still using two drives in it one 160 gig model via the PCI card. I also dropped in a USB 2.0 card so I could use USB 2.0 devices with it, i.e. flash drives.

Another solution, which may be preferable, is to buy a firewire enclosure that supports multiple drives. As others have pointed out, there is no capacity limit on firewire. Just make sure the enclosure itself supports high capacity drives. If you go the enclosure route, I'd make sure it supports USB 2.0 and, if possible, ESATA. That will increase its most versatility in the future.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2009 08:07AM by Robert M.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: January 04, 2009 08:52AM
I've had 4 big drives in my MDD 867 for years. Never had a problem with any of them.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: flareslow
Date: January 04, 2009 09:57AM
While current FW and USB enclosures support drives over 128 GB, I have several older versions, including some FW enclosures purchased years ago from our sponsor which do not. The interfaces changed when the larger drives came into wide use. Try before you buy an older/used enclosure.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: January 04, 2009 11:18AM
I had 9 in a DA. That many drives requires some significant modifications, of which two PCI-IDE cards were the least expensive and difficult.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 04, 2009 11:54AM
a cheap SATA card would be an even better option -- at least then you can find cheap drives -- 500 gig PATA might cost as much as a 1TB SATA drive...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: January 04, 2009 11:54AM
blusubaru
I had 9 in a DA. That many drives requires some significant modifications, of which two PCI-IDE cards were the least expensive and difficult.

Eight of those, I can figure out. I fashioned a couple of sleds to get 6 hard drives in the bottom of a Sawtooth. I'm guessing you did something similar and also swapped out the optical drive and the zip drive for hard drives...

How'd you get the ninth drive in there?

...And what did you do for cooling? With 6 hard drives, my Sawtooth could (and did) heat my apartment through the winter.
Date: January 04, 2009 01:19PM
dup post... save changes twice!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2009 01:22PM by blusubaru.
Date: January 04, 2009 01:22PM
Doc
Eight of those, I can figure out. I fashioned a couple of sleds to get 6 hard drives in the bottom of a Sawtooth. I'm guessing you did something similar and also swapped out the optical drive and the zip drive for hard drives...

How'd you get the ninth drive in there?

...And what did you do for cooling? With 6 hard drives, my Sawtooth could (and did) heat my apartment through the winter.

Search the forum for "Project Armada". Zip and optical drives and sled gone. Replaced front bezel with a big fan. Ninth drive was stacked on it's side, right in front of the internal case fan. Four drives in optical bay, four drives in normal drive area, turned 90 degrees. Heat was not too bad. Upgraded ATX PSU. Upgraded CPU. 50MB/sec transfer speed. It's been updated to two 1TB SATA drives plus the then 9th drive (boot). From two RAIDs (1.8TB total on 8 drives) to two drives (1TB each).

best picture: [forums.macresource.com]
Date: January 04, 2009 01:25PM
The UnDoug
I've had 4 big drives in my MDD 867 for years. Never had a problem with any of them.

Yours was a "wind tunnel", mine was post-wt. Maybe they fatally crippled the airflow on later models in order to ease noise complaints?
(or I suppose it's possible one of my fans wasn't working . . .)

Date: January 04, 2009 01:38PM
> Search the forum for "Project Armada" ...

I've found descriptions on a few different web sites. Did you ever post pictures?
Date: January 04, 2009 01:44PM
yes, see above post with link
Date: January 04, 2009 02:12PM
Sorry. I meant pictures of the way that you mounted the drives. I can only see one there.
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: January 04, 2009 03:42PM
All good... just pre-MW Expo stuff. Kids sleeping great these days and, knock on wood, no colds or other fun bugs in the house either. smiling smiley Thanks!

Black Landlord
Hi Larry!
Hope it's not a sick kid keepin' you up . . .

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Date: January 04, 2009 04:48PM
Doc
Sorry. I meant pictures of the way that you mounted the drives. I can only see one there.

They're there, just hard to see. Four dual drive brackets from that model of G4. In optical bay, if you imagine each dual drive bracket as a vehicle and the old optical cavity/bezel cover as a garage door, each car was parked side-by-side. Total of 4 drives there, stacked two high. Then on the bottom of the case, two more dual drive brackets. Each were turned 90 degrees from the way they were intended to be mounted, putting IDE ports facing each other. The ninth drive, the boot drive, on its side on top of the rear dual drive bracket. Unfortunately the picture you saw is the best that I had. There wasn't much room in the case with all the IDE cable running everywhere.
Date: January 04, 2009 04:54PM
Wait... now that I think about it, the drives in the optical bay were stacked in like books on their sides, but ports to the back.
Date: January 04, 2009 04:56PM
I think I've got the idea. Thanks!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 04, 2009 07:47PM
the later model MDDs with the hush kits also had a 360 watt PS, not the 400 of the earlier models. Lower airflow fans in the PS and the case.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020