The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
F/U Replacement DVD Player - Got an Oppo
Posted by: Doc
Date: January 13, 2009 10:11PM
Following up on this thread...
[forums.macresource.com]

I bought the Oppo 980H and so far I'm very impressed with it.

It upscales DVDs beautifully to 1080p, it plays my import-DVD's, it has played video and audio from every kind of DVD and CD media I've thrown at it, it plays DivX/DivX-AVI, MPEG1 and MPEG4 video (not H.264) and mp3 audio files (No WAV or AIF files), the sound is excellent and its ability to use remote-codes from other manufacturers means that it's the first A/V device I've picked up in more than a decade that works with my universal remote without having to download custom settings.

DVD-A discs sound better when I play them on this player than they did on my last player, which used the 5.1 DVD mix. This one has native DVD-A support. I haven't tried a SACD on it because I don't own any SACD discs. (I try not to do anything that can be interpreted as support for Sony's DRM.)

When I use the USB port, it doesn't recognize the presence of media files on some of my 8GB and 16GB flash drives. I buy generic flash drives and it's very likely that those drives don't conform to spec'.

It had trouble with the audio on some of the mp4 files I played on it. 'Not sure yet what the trouble is since the issues began a few minutes into playback in each case and each file was encoded a bit differently.

I also had to mess with my cable-runs a bit because it's got a lower profile than my last DVD player so the cables were visible behind it.

Of my wish-list, the only thing it's missing is a Macrovision filter. I can live without that.

Oppo Reviews:
[www.prillaman.net]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: F/U Replacement DVD Player - Got an Oppo
Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: January 13, 2009 10:44PM
I ordered a 980H too; should come tomorrow. Glad to hear it does a good job upscaling for you. It has a great reputation for that. For the time being I'm ignoring Blu-ray. I'll keep my old DVD player which is a 5-disk changer and is good for having several audio CDs in rotation.

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Posted by: guitarist
Date: January 14, 2009 01:56AM
If you are a hi-fi enthusiast, you are in for a treat.

Stereo buffs have embraced the Oppo, for its affordable hi-end sonic virtues, as a CD player it shames systems that cost ten times as much. Once warmed up these things sound marvelous.

If you haven't seen this recommendation already, I'll offer it. Don't turn your Oppo off. True of lots of sound components, turning it off and on all the time is undesirable. In the initial setup period in particular.

With the Oppo, you'll notice a breakthrough after you've had it for about 10 days to two weeks. Once the burn-in period is complete, the sound opens up and becomes fully realized. Good imaging, great soundstage. You'll notice the difference, the transition is dramatic.

The first week or so I had my Oppo, I was disappointed to find it didn't sound any better than any other CD player, it sounded okay, but not impressive. Then one day, sometime in the second week I had it on, I played a CD, and the difference was like night and day, it had totally opened up and sounded beautiful. Even better than the reviews had suggested.

When you're first setting it up, play your favorite recordings on it. Then, once it's burned in, play your favorite recordings on it again, and hear the difference.

It may be the best sound system you've ever had.
Date: January 14, 2009 02:59AM
Update: I had a similar issue with thumb drives.

The formatting, even on a viewable drive, is pretty clunky, very un-mac like, not the most pleasing to navigate. But it's acceptable.

I plugged in a 160 GB mini-HD (Western Digital Passport) and loaded it up with about 70 movies I'd processed into DiVX format. I have a folder of music, too.

I know there are DiVX fans here, but I view it as a crippled format. Primarily because of the audio limitations. I wish it could play a wider variety of movie file formats, movies directly from my iTunes video library, for example, with better encoding and DVD-quality sound. But the convenience and geek hobby satisfaction of storing and viewing content this way makes it worthwhile.
Posted by: mhale62
Date: January 14, 2009 08:26AM
Just as a follow-on to guitarist's post, DivX looks to be losing ground; witness Roxio's dropping DivX support in Toast 10.
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: January 14, 2009 11:11AM
I'm terrible with video file formats - but it DivX the AVI file format, or something completely different?

Jeff
Posted by: Doc
Date: January 14, 2009 11:26AM
It plays DivX-encoded video files. The same as you'd download from the 'net. AVI DivX files work.
Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: January 14, 2009 12:01PM
It'll be interesting to compare CD audio quality. I've been listening to CDs on my Panasonic DVD-CV51 ( [www.amazon.com] ) through an Onkyo receiver and MB Quart speakers and love the sound. The DVD player is about seven years old by now. I've been planning on keeping it around for audio use only but we'll see. It's advantage is that it's a 5-disk changer, but I've never liked the remote or the interface.

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Posted by: colonel panic
Date: January 14, 2009 12:14PM
I've had an Oppo 981 for about a year, great upconversion. I'm going to buy their blu ray player when it comes out, hopefully soon.

"They don't call me Colonel because I'm some dumb a$$ army guy" Colonel Homer J. Simpson
Date: January 14, 2009 12:30PM
There is a whole subculture of Sterophiles and Oppo players. Check it out on the web, in Stereo forums, good info.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 337
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020