advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any one take an A.P. course in recent years?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 14, 2009 01:11PM
my son is thinking about applying for 10th grade A.P. World History. are they really college level in expectation and work load? his 9th grade Civics/American Government course is pretty lame; he'd get a more in-depth education if he came back home to me. but that's not going to happen so i'm trying to figure out if an A.P. course would suit or overwhelm him.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any one take an A.P. course in recent years?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 14, 2009 01:19PM
History is the right thing to try it with, IMHO. I don't know how they are now. I took enough AP classes as a teen to get to college as a sophomore.
Posted by: kj
Date: January 14, 2009 01:20PM
graylocks
my son is thinking about applying for 10th grade A.P. World History. are they really college level in expectation and work load? his 9th grade Civics/American Government course is pretty lame; he'd get a more in-depth education if he came back home to me. but that's not going to happen so i'm trying to figure out if an A.P. course would suit or overwhelm him.

I bet it depends on the teacher. My wife evaluates high school A.P. Math courses to make sure they are up to snuff, and the teachers almost always try to scale it back. Of course, she doesn't like it because they're not always prepared for the next math class when they get to college, but that suggests they do often take it a bit easy on the high-schoolers. I'd be willing to bet your son can handle it fine though. kj.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: January 14, 2009 01:23PM
They should be, because the colleges around here will give credit for AP courses taken in high school. My son wound up getting the equivalent of more than a full quarter when he started.

This isn't a suggestion for 10th grade, but do the schools in your area have what we call a "Running Start" program? My daughter in law's younger sister got her high school diploma and an associate's degree simultaneously by taking advantage of the one here, and then she was able to complete her BA in two years. The downside is that the kids are still pretty young when they get their college degree, but it can be a great advantage if paying for college is an issue or if the kid has their sights set on an immediate advanced degree.
Posted by: abevilac
Date: January 14, 2009 01:23PM
My daughter graduated from HS last May; she did an all International Baccalaureate program which I thought was just excellent. They really had them thinking and doing. She got into Swarthmore College and was given over a semester's worth of credit - read Mom and Dad effectively got a $25K break! The program covers the last 2 yrs of HS only. I would suggest that you see if his school has an IB program. My daughter knew several kids taking AP at the local public HS and her impression was that they were always memorizing dates and facts; you might take a look at one of the AP prep test books to get a sense of what the course behind them is like.
Date: January 14, 2009 01:37PM
abevilac
My daughter graduated from HS last May; she did an all International Baccalaureate program which I thought was just excellent. They really had them thinking and doing. She got into Swarthmore College and was given over a semester's worth of credit - read Mom and Dad effectively got a $25K break! The program covers the last 2 yrs of HS only. I would suggest that you see if his school has an IB program. My daughter knew several kids taking AP at the local public HS and her impression was that they were always memorizing dates and facts; you might take a look at one of the AP prep test books to get a sense of what the course behind them is like.

aahh! test prep books! good idea! off to the library. i sure hope an A.P. course is more about making connections than memorizing dates. that's the type of busy work nonsense he's doing now.

no, this school doesn't have an IB program. i actually pay for him to attend an out of district public school. our local high school does have an IB program but it's not an otherwise safe, positive environment. in fact, we're the school district in GA that lost accreditation...
Posted by: Cary
Date: January 14, 2009 01:39PM
My 10th grade son started AP Euro History this year at the urging of his guidance counselor. I was skeptical due to the reading requirements of 1 hour every night, and lack of love for reading. He dropped it after 6 weeks, and moved into regular Global History.

I am encouraging him to take AP classes next year in subjects that interest him, like science and math...

Cary
Posted by: slbett
Date: January 14, 2009 01:44PM
Depends on the school. Better rated schools generally have better teachers/students and the results (test scores on AP tests) will be better.

He would get maybe a .5 increase in grade value that looks good on paper but not all colleges look at that and are more interested in the actual test score. I would encourage you/him to take the class because it will have the better students in it and the extra work won't be noticed after a few weeks. Now, from my results from my six kids.

Oldest girl did the best. She entered John Carroll University as a sophomore. Saved a years tuition. She received a 5,4,4,3 on her four tests.

Next girl and three boys went to a different high school and all took the several AP classes and tests each and were able to test out of entry level classes at different colleges. Some 2's and 3's and one 4 on the AP test. They all did well getting scholarships and in college.

Last son didn't want to go to college and entered the military. Doing well. He's a navigator in the USMC.

My advice is that you encourage him to take any AP class he can. It will help him get use to a little extra work and to learn to budget his time better. This will help him latter on in life at school and or work.

There is also a post secondary enrollment option you could look into. He would take classes at local college and receive college credit for them. We couldn't work out transportation to take advantage of this choice thou. Oldest went to Notre Dame HS in another county while rest went to Lake Catholic HS in our county. Since there wasn't any bussing and they all had jobs and sports after school, this option just didn't work out for us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2009 01:52PM by slbett.
Date: January 14, 2009 01:47PM
i think i will have him peruse this thread. the thought of having less entry-level drudge work in college might appeal to him.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 14, 2009 01:55PM
although 25 years ago -- the program i was enrolled in had mandatory AP courses each year (3 year high school)

10th was US history, 11th was language and 12th was english

i ended up taking more APs, chemistry, physics, spanish and math (ended with calculus)

since school had always been a cake walk for me this program was a welcome addition to my life -- it was actually a real challenge for a change -- it required real thought and real participation

it did prepare me for how many college courses work -- although i would say 90% of my AP classes were better than many of my college courses -- probably the instructors, since the ones i had for AP classes were amazing

i give it 2 thumbs up and there is nothing to lose -- a "C" is a good grade if you arent used to working at that kind of level -- its an excellent learning experience, one that i still have great memories of 25 years later

to see how successful it was/is at my school click the "PACE to top 50 US Schools" link

[www.lbusd.k12.ca.us]

FWIW, heres the school site and wiki
[www.lbusd.k12.ca.us]
[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Michael
Date: January 14, 2009 02:34PM
Graylocks-
I teach in the Univ System of GA, so I get lots of kids from schools not unlike the one that lost accreditation!

We accept AP credit at our college. I have found that students who are coming into my second-level courses having gotten AP credit for the core course are either dynamite or very under-prepared, even if they have the same AP scores. I would assume that the several posters, above, who said "it depends" are correct. I have never attempted to evaluate which high schools my various AP students came from, but I'd be willing to bet that it's an important variable.

Having said that, my kid went through our local high school, that is majority minority (doesn't that sound like education-ese!). She took a number of AP courses and scored high enough to get credit at a pretty high-end private university a couple of hundred miles from here in TN. When we were signing her up, we talked with professors in the various departments where her AP credit might replace a core class. We specifically asked whether their AP students were adequately prepared for higher level courses in their particular academic areas. Their answers varied.

We decided that she would use the AP credits to replace 3 classes that were not going to be important for her majors, but not for 2 others where she would be skipping foundation courses in her primary areas of interest. That seemed to be a reasonable (but rather expensive) compromise to us.

So, I would encourage your son to take AP courses--in my experience they are more rigorous and more interesting, but I'd also be careful how they were used in college.
Posted by: slbett
Date: January 14, 2009 03:25PM
I agree with Michael. Oldest took credit in core courses for none major/minor subjects. Only used AP scores to for entry level class in her English (her minor).
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 14, 2009 03:34PM
Definitely do it. The college credit is worth both time and money. I wish I would have had more of a focus on my AP courses back in the day. A lot of teachers and parents don't push kids in AP courses because they're supposed to be hard. They certainly can be but there's a lot more reward in doing well in an AP class than a regular class.

Its a good idea to try one as a sophomore and see how it goes. Pass one a year and you've taken care of a semester of college.

Posted by: rgG
Date: January 14, 2009 04:47PM
My daughter is taking 3 AP courses this year. She is doing well in two, English and Spanish but is having a hard time with Statistics. She took AP Environmental Science last year and scored a 5 on the exam. If your son normally has done well in his history classes then he would probably like the AP World History, but I would assume that there would be a lot of reading, so make sure he is prepared for that.

My daughter's school usually requires that you have been in honors level classes before taking an AP class because they do make the classes quite rigorous. My advice is to have your son talk to several people who are taking or who have taken the course in the past and see what they thought about it.

BTW, UGA does give an extra .5 points on the GPA for AP courses and something like 98% of the kids that were accepted last year had at least one AP course while in high school.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 188
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020