advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I'm the singular cause of deflation in the USA
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 22, 2009 02:16PM
I have been ruthless with my pursuit of clearance items at my local Target, Gap, Macys and other stores. I'm waiting for at least 75% off of normal price. I'm baaaaaad.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I'm the singular cause of deflation in the USA
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 22, 2009 03:00PM
Pish, tush, I bought some goods for 90% off at Target the other day. 75% off is for amateurs. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: January 22, 2009 03:49PM
mrbigstuff, you're the reason I can't find anything 90% off at Target anymore - you purchase too soon!
Date: January 22, 2009 03:55PM
Target: hey, pants for $6.74, a cap for $3.74, a belt for $4.98... I can't pass this stuff up!

now, as to whether or not I need those items...

but, darnit, they don't mark down any of the tech goodies and they seem to have eliminated their sale of demo and return goods (used to have a section dedicated to that stuff in electronics - Sears still has one)
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 22, 2009 04:27PM
mrbigstuff
Target: hey, pants for $6.74, a cap for $3.74, a belt for $4.98... I can't pass this stuff up!

now, as to whether or not I need those items...

but, darnit, they don't mark down any of the tech goodies and they seem to have eliminated their sale of demo and return goods (used to have a section dedicated to that stuff in electronics - Sears still has one)

Oh but they do. smiling smiley
I bought a new in box Canon MP470 all-in-one for around $25 not long ago. The ink carts would have cost more than that. I also got a portable HD and a laptop carrying case for cheap and some other tech stuff. I do agree that the tech deals are a lot harder to find than clothes and housewares. Each Target varies, so that may explain why you haven't seen anything lately.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: kap
Date: January 22, 2009 04:33PM
GAP and Target are our stores. GAP online sales are a joke! How do we know when the sales are on?

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2009 04:33PM by kap.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 22, 2009 05:29PM
Don't even go into a Penny's. They're giving that stuff away.
Posted by: billb
Date: January 22, 2009 05:35PM
vision63
and another 10% with thier card. :-)

The Target here sucks.
No bargain bins anywhere.
They still have Christmas Decorations stuff.
30% off in January isn't worth a look.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 22, 2009 05:47PM
billb
vision63
and another 10% with thier card. :-)

The Target here sucks.
No bargain bins anywhere.
They still have Christmas Decorations stuff.
30% off in January isn't worth a look.

AND I got an additional 20% discount off of their up to 70% off prices for paying $5 dollars to a charity they were touting. I had bags and bags of stuff for about $17 dollars. I was kinda diggin' the recession.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 23, 2009 06:23AM
A local K-Mart is closing so anything still worth possessing is going for pennies on the dollar. The Mervins quit at 60% off and just trucked the remainder to another store.

The local 45- year old Albertsons Grocery store decided to eat the remaining 5-years of their lease and close rather than continuing to operate at a loss. One of the in store managers at another small (35 unit) grocery chain, while discussing his retirement in two years' talked to me about his almost 30-years in the business.

He was hired into grocery management just before Reagan became President. He went through two different merger/acquisitions and at age 50 or so eventually found himself looking for work. "They'll take your application and say nice things about your experience and expertise" he said, "but when you're over 50 they'll never call you back so you either don't work or you downscale. I've been in a management position with this company for about 9-years now and today I'm making less than I did in 1980."

"I'm not crying, it's not like I'll be out picking up recycles, but it's sure nothing like my wife and I planned or hoped for."

Enjoy the bargains folks, someone's paying for them and eventually they'll be gone.

"Who's more foolish - the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: January 23, 2009 08:14AM
Our local Target had two aisles of toys on 75% Clearance. It was a good day for Little Poochie to pick out a toy.

I also went to the Marshall's one-day 15% off sale (the result of a class-action suit) and snagged a pair of New Balance running shoes for only $21 after multiple markdowns.
Date: January 23, 2009 09:02AM
kap
GAP online sales are a joke! How do we know when the sales are on?
I agree! the stores are very good but this year they did not have enough good stock this year. In fact, they have not for a few years now, IMO

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: kap
Date: January 23, 2009 09:08AM
RgrF
A local K-Mart is closing so anything still worth possessing is going for pennies on the dollar. The Mervins quit at 60% off and just trucked the remainder to another store.

The local 45- year old Albertsons Grocery store decided to eat the remaining 5-years of their lease and close rather than continuing to operate at a loss. One of the in store managers at another small (35 unit) grocery chain, while discussing his retirement in two years' talked to me about his almost 30-years in the business.

He was hired into grocery management just before Reagan became President. He went through two different merger/acquisitions and at age 50 or so eventually found himself looking for work. "They'll take your application and say nice things about your experience and expertise" he said, "but when you're over 50 they'll never call you back so you either don't work or you downscale. I've been in a management position with this company for about 9-years now and today I'm making less than I did in 1980."

"I'm not crying, it's not like I'll be out picking up recycles, but it's sure nothing like my wife and I planned or hoped for."

Enjoy the bargains folks, someone's paying for them and eventually they'll be gone.

My 50 year old aunt is looking for work while she's going through a nasty divorce. The last time she was gainfully employed was 15 years ago. With this state of the economy her chance is very slim.

SoCal for now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 236
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020