advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Help me connect my canon G10
Posted by: thermarest
Date: February 07, 2009 08:00AM
Ok, so I've never connected a camera directly to my Mac before. I always use a CF reader or (rarely) an SD reader. But I recently got a Canon G10 and, alas, it turns out my SD reader will not read the SDHC cards. So, I plug the USB cord into camera and computer expecting the card to mount as a disk. It does not. I have poured through the menu settings and can't find anything that looks relevant. I haven't been able to find it in the manual either, though it must be there.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Help me connect my canon G10
Posted by: Bixby
Date: February 07, 2009 08:48AM
open iphoto.
Posted by: slbett
Date: February 07, 2009 08:57AM
Camera turned on?
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: February 07, 2009 09:05AM
In the Applications folder, launch "Image Capture." Set the prefs in there to automatically open iPhoto when a camera is connected.

See if that does it.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: modelamac
Date: February 07, 2009 09:43AM
Reading the camera manual might give some clues. Also check out iPhoto Help re Importing.

My wife managed to figure out on her own how to connect and download from her new Canon to her new iMac.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Date: February 07, 2009 09:47AM
I already poured over the manual. Yes, camera is turned on.

I will try the iPhoto idea, though that is a last resort since I don't have it installed and don't really want the files in the iPhoto library.

Keep other suggestions coming if you have them. Thanks,
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 07, 2009 10:10AM
There's a dial that determines whether you're shoting fully auto, or manual, or a movie, etc. It has a little green triangle that indicates "playback" The dial has to be turned to that triangle and turned on to upload photos.
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: February 07, 2009 10:11AM
Graphic Converter> File>Acquire >Download images from connected camera

And you can put 'em where you want 'em.

If you have GC.

Fred Also
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 07, 2009 10:23AM
A card reader might be a simpler method.

It's what I prefer-- quick, easy.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 07, 2009 10:55AM
anonymouse1
There's a dial that determines whether you're shoting fully auto, or manual, or a movie, etc. It has a little green triangle that indicates "playback" The dial has to be turned to that triangle and turned on to upload photos.

yup.

turn it on while connected in playback mode

iphoto will launch and ask if you want to import...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: February 07, 2009 01:06PM
There is not a green triangle on that dial, unfortunately. The triangle for playback is on a button on the back and it doesn't help.

Turns out Image Capture sees the camera and will download the photos....thanks! I had used Image Capture in the past, but only for scanning and didn't know that it interfaced with cameras.

Interestingly, I usually use a pro image ingesting program called Photo Mechanic and it does not recognize the attached G10, even though System Profiler does and obviously Image Capture does. Hmmmm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2009 01:10PM by thermarest.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 07, 2009 01:46PM
Getting a cheap card reader puts less cycles of recharge on your battery and less wear on tear on internal components of your camera.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: space-time
Date: February 07, 2009 01:53PM
pRICE cUBE
Getting a cheap card reader puts less cycles of recharge on your battery and less wear on tear on internal components of your camera.

agreed, although there is not much wear and tear to begin with, is there? the camera would be in playback mode, so sensor and screen would be OFF anyway, and you would have to open and close the SD/CF card door each time to get in out and back in. But it does wear down the battery. get a cheap reader. can be had under $10 these days.
Date: February 07, 2009 02:10PM
space-time
pRICE cUBE

agreed, although there is not much wear and tear to begin with, is there? the camera would be in playback mode, so sensor and screen would be OFF anyway, and you would have to open and close the SD/CF card door each time to get in out and back in. But it does wear down the battery. get a cheap reader. can be had under $10 these days.
]
Depends on the camera, some turn all the components on including the zoom, some don't.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: February 07, 2009 02:52PM
Yes, yes...isn't it clear from the post that I'm familiar with card readers? I don't have one in my house that will read the SDHC card and I want to offload the images right now.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 07, 2009 04:51PM
Try this:

Power on.

Then, just above the LCD and to the right of the viewfinder, there's a button with a triangle on it, pointing right. Connect camera to Mac via USB cable. Start iPhoto. Push that button to put the camera into still playback mode.

That should do it--you may have to relaunch iPhoto or powercycle the camera while it's connected, but the above is the basic drill--should work. The trick is connecting to iPhoto while in playback mode.
Posted by: M>B>
Date: February 07, 2009 06:25PM
Card Reader 5 bucks...

[dealmac.com]

Date: February 08, 2009 10:41AM
thermarest
Yes, yes...isn't it clear from the post that I'm familiar with card readers? I don't have one in my house that will read the SDHC card and I want to offload the images right now.

Wasn't aware of the time frame, many apologies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 138
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020