advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
who has a paypal account and why? or who doesn't have a paypal account and why not?
Posted by: robfilms
Date: March 20, 2006 06:27PM
i just feel don't comfortable w/paypal.

i know it must be me.

they provide a decent service at a somewhat reasonable rate.

i just don't feel good having my credit card on file w/a company that seems like an easy target to those who pursue such things.

how do others feel?

do u have a paypal account and if so, is security an issue?

if u don't have a paypal account is it, like me, because of security issues?

as always, thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts

be well

rob
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: who has a paypal account and why? or who doesn't have a paypal account and why not?
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: March 20, 2006 06:38PM
I have a PayPal account, but I've never used it. I have it linked to a checking account opened and maintained just for PayPal, and I keep such a low balance that I'd have to transfer money into the account before I could even buy anything. Sure I'm suspicious.

Oh, duh. I might have misunderstood the question, since there's nothing about mine that requires a credit card number.
Re: who has a paypal account and why? or who doesn't have a paypal account and why not?
Posted by: ArtP
Date: March 20, 2006 06:39PM
Paypal is usually linked primarily to a Bank Account first then a Credit Card as a second option.

Tons of Banks offer Free Checking accounts so the trick is to open a Free Checking account to use ONLY with Paypal.

The big fear more-so than Fraud is a disputed transaction. If I buy something from you for $1 and dispute the transaction Paypal can FREEZE your entire account (Bank account included) until it is resolved.

If it is linked to you main Checking account that you pay bills and live off of, that may be a "minor problem".

Start a fresh checking account, leave the balance in the account at a minimum and you shouldn't have a problem.

BTW, I have had a Paypal account for years with no major problems, but a friend had his account frozen (he made a few mistakes learning eBay in the early days).

Anybody remember the $5 dollar referrals?

That was great marketing....

I guess that is why they are on top now (even though they are in bed with eBay now).
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 20, 2006 07:04PM
Paypal was better in the early days when it was free. . .and not owned by Ebay. . .I have one now for convenience but as described. . .separate account. . .I use it rarely. . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Bernie
Date: March 20, 2006 07:16PM
I am unverified. That means that they are not into my checking. At one time they had a 2,000.00 limit but it is now 10,000.00 so there is no need to get verified. Paypal rocks again. I have disputed something that was not shipped and they checked into it and refunded (credited my chargecard) it. Now I have been chumped beyond the 45 day limit in the past but never again. That is the secret. Do not wait forever for it to arrive or for them to send out another one. Two Thumbs for PayPal if you are a buyer.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: March 20, 2006 07:52PM
I have two PayPal accounts: one business, one personal.
I use the business one to collect payments for sales of my software product.

So far I haven't had any significant troubles. It has been a reliable and powerful way for me to handle my online sales. I do all of the sales directly from my website(s). To date, I have neither purchased anything nor sold anything through eBay.

I have mine linked to a savings account that I use for nothing other than making transfers out of my PayPal account.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2006 07:36AM by TheTominator.
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 20, 2006 08:09PM
I have had a PayPal account for years, never any problems, get ebay stuff sent quickly also some other merchants.

Easy, convenient for non ebay stuff...You will probably find people that are just as against PP as I am for it.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 20, 2006 08:12PM
I opened a bank account with no service charge. I keep $100 or so in it and use it for Pay Pal and a debit card. I would never use either with my main account or business account.

I got a list of banks from switchboard.com in my area and called around until I found one with free checking.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 20, 2006 08:48PM
I've had a Paypal account for years and I don't have a problem
with it. We've done 1000's of tranactions. I like the
people that want to send checks, I can get tons of info from
checks. I've had one person to send me their Credit Card
number and expiration date via email. I had to tell them I
couldn't take it that way. I also very politely told them
that that was not the best thing to do, especially if the
wrong type person got ahold of that info.

Grateful11
Posted by: Carm
Date: March 20, 2006 09:06PM
I have a paypal account for ebay transactions. Linked only to credit card. I need to open a free bank account to tie it to the paypal account.

Carm
Posted by: fmgtech
Date: March 20, 2006 09:26PM
I have had PayPal for about eight years and not a single problem. I also have a PayPal debit/credit card and I use it a lot. Never a problem.

Of course when you look at the fees for a transaction you don't like that, but you have to realize that you probably would not have made the sale for that amount without eBay and PayPal.

By far the biggest advantage of PayPal is the immediate payment. No time to think it over or go get a MO and send it. I know there are people that hate PayPal but I just can't complain. It's kind of like cable. As much as you hate them for charging you $100 to $150 a month, the service for the most part is OK, i.e. no interruptions etc.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 20, 2006 09:37PM
robfilms Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i just feel don't comfortable w/paypal.
>
> i know it must be me.
>
> they provide a decent service at a somewhat
> reasonable rate.
>
> i just don't feel good having my credit card on
> file w/a company that seems like an easy target to
> those who pursue such things.
>
> how do others feel?
>
> do u have a paypal account and if so, is security
> an issue?
>
> if u don't have a paypal account is it, like me,
> because of security issues?
>
> as always, thanks in advance for sharing your
> thoughts

In restaurantes, you give your card to some 22 yo nobody with steel coming out of their cheek and lips and think nothing of it. YOU SHOULD. They walk out of your sight with your card. Anything could happen at that point. This creates a much greater risk then anything you do with paypal.

Never give your credit card to someone you don't trust - same thing with online transactions. Amazon is safe. Joe's camera shop may not be. Paypal is safe as long as you aren't an idiot.

Posted by: wurm
Date: March 20, 2006 09:59PM
I've had a Paypal Personal account for years, with zero problems. Just today, I signed up for an additional Premier account for the sole purpose of being able to accept credit cards for a particular aeBay auction listing.

In each case I tied the account to free checking accounts at different local banks and I keep a balance of less than $50 in each.
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: March 20, 2006 11:36PM
I've had an account from the beginning & have never had a problem. Several times I've been tempted to close it after the latest PayPal horror story.

Posted by: rexrzer
Date: March 20, 2006 11:52PM
P A R A N O I D?

What's wrong with some of the nice people here? PayPal is as safe as milk if you don't do something stupid. LIke hal wrote, there are much more compromising situations that people get themselves into with their credit cards, just using them for simple things like gasoline purchases, or going out to a restaraunt, than you could *ever* get into with a PayPal account.

I've had two PayPal accounts, one business and the other personal, for 6, and 7 years, respectively. I've had one disputed transaction out of more than 800 total, business and personal. And that one disputed transaction was straightened out in 38 calendar days, which I considered pretty quick considering how messy the situation, in reality, was.

If you participate in eBay as much as I do, you can't avoid using/having PayPal as part of your online existence. It facilitates quick, hassle-free payments, gives buyers confidence in you as a seller, and vice versa, and generally just plain works like it should. If you're afraid of PayPal, take a long, hard look at how you're using your bank accounts, and credit cards, and I'm pretty sure you'll find more risk associated with those activities than you'd ever have by using PayPal.

What's the difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make some sense.
Posted by: Carthaigh
Date: March 21, 2006 01:38AM
I don't have an account, and never will. Why would I? I don't need anything they are selling on eBay.

This message has been brought to you by the Threadkiller™
Posted by: modelamac
Date: March 21, 2006 07:02AM
I closed my PayPal account over 3 years ago and haven't missed it.

I don't use eBay - don't need it.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 21, 2006 09:00AM
Like so many others that already posted, I have a PayPal account attached to what I call my "internet account". It's never got a lot of money in it and it's not attached to any other checking or savings accounts.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 21, 2006 09:08AM
They sell just about everything on eBay so I guess you 2 don't
need anything from anyone. You just have to watch who you're
buying from. It amazes me at the people that buy from eBay
and never look at the feedback of the seller. I've seen
where people have bought and got ripped off and you look at
the feedback and the seller has repeated bad marks, Duh why buy
from someone like this? Are they going to change over night, NO.

Grateful11
Posted by: Carthaigh
Date: March 21, 2006 12:43PM
Grateful11 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They sell just about everything on eBay so I guess
> you 2 don't
> need anything from anyone.

Just to clarify: I don't need anything that is sold exclusively on eBay. I have always been able to get good deals on things I need without the need for eBay.

This message has been brought to you by the Threadkiller™
Posted by: Michael
Date: March 21, 2006 02:00PM
I'm with Paypal using a credit card that I use for internet and restaurants purchases only--anytime my number leaves my hand.

I use Paypal only for Ebay. I do find better deals on Ebay for some things, so I'm a happy Ebayer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 68
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020