advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Who has ordered a large TV from Amazon?
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: February 22, 2009 05:45PM
The Amazon price on the Samsung LN46A550 is comparable to the best I can do locally, with a nice feature being the free shipping and "enhanced delivery" (I have to pay tax on Amazon purchases anyway, so that part is a push.) What, exactly, is enhanced delivery? It seems to be something between dropping the box on the front porch and a complete set up, so I'm wondering just what all is included.

If someone knows, I'll appreciate more information. Thank you!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Who has ordered a large TV from Amazon?
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 22, 2009 05:56PM
Maybe they send Fred Garvin to handle the "enhanced delivery".

[video.aol.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 22, 2009 05:56PM
opening, checking for damage, and hauling away packing material?
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 22, 2009 06:13PM
Free Enhanced Delivery on HDTVs 40 Inches or Larger When You Purchase from Amazon.com

A representative of the carrier will bring your TV to any room suitable for testing, unpack it, and ensure that it is working properly to guarantee no damage occurred during transportation.

Televisions 27 to 40 inches receive scheduled delivery to your door. Televisions smaller than 27 inches are delivered using Amazon.com's standard shipping services and are eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.

Free shipping options apply only to purchases made from or fulfilled by Amazon.com. Does not apply to purchases made from other merchants on the Amazon.com website.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2009 06:13PM by rgG.
Date: February 22, 2009 06:14PM
Racer X
opening, checking for damage, and hauling away packing material?

Judging by the question mark, I strongly suspect you don't really know either! smiling smiley That's pretty much what I got from the site, but as I read some of the reviews of various models, a couple of comments implied that the TV was pretty much fully operational by the time the delivery was complete and a person could just sit down and start watching their new set. Unfortunately, there wasn't a way to sort out whether some of these people were referring to something that was included as part of the free delivery or whether they might have had an upgraded shipping option available at the time they purchased and/or the service that came with the shipping varied, depending on geographic area.

Edit: Yes, I saw that, rgG, but I have seen electronic items tested without being made operational. I know we would have had to pay extra to get the last TV connected and ready for viewing, even though delivery and removal from the box was free. The guys had a way to verify it was operational without actually "setting it up."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2009 06:21PM by AlphaDog.
Date: February 22, 2009 06:16PM
what do I know, except about good chocolate?
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: February 22, 2009 06:18PM
I bought the Samsung LN46A650 back before Christmas from Amazon. Racer X pretty much hit it on the head. My delivery was made by one guy in a van. He needed my help to bring it into the house and would have opened it and supposedly set it up but I declined. The box was in perfect condition and as it turns out so was the TV. He didn't seem very knowledgable about setting up a TV or very willing to do so. I had to call the delivery company to schedule my delivery even though they were suppose to call me. From what I've read, this is not uncommon. They gave me a time range and said the driver would call me ahead of time so I could come home and meet him. He wound up calling me 3 hours early and waited at my house until I got there. Very friendly and courteous.
Date: February 22, 2009 06:25PM
cyclemax
I bought the Samsung LN46A650 back before Christmas from Amazon. Racer X pretty much hit it on the head. My delivery was made by one guy in a van. He needed my help to bring it into the house and would have opened it and supposedly set it up but I declined. The box was in perfect condition and as it turns out so was the TV. He didn't seem very knowledgable about setting up a TV or very willing to do so. I had to call the delivery company to schedule my delivery even though they were suppose to call me. From what I've read, this is not uncommon. They gave me a time range and said the driver would call me ahead of time so I could come home and meet him. He wound up calling me 3 hours early and waited at my house until I got there. Very friendly and courteous.

Great! That's exactly the kind of information I was after! No delivery guy will be getting any help from me getting the thing in the house, which is why the "enhanced delivery" sounded appealing. H3ll, I can barely get myself in the house some days.

How do you like your TV? I haven't been able to bring myself around to pulling the trigger yet, but I'm getting mighty close, especially after I was looking at one yesterday that was set up right next to the 630. The picture on the 550 was actually sharper, and they were getting the identical feed, which wasn't from a DVD player.

Edit: I just reread and noticed you said you got the 650. Why? And did you have a chance to do a direct comparison with another Samsung model that was close?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2009 06:26PM by AlphaDog.
Date: February 22, 2009 06:38PM
AlphaDog
How do you like your TV? I haven't been able to bring myself around to pulling the trigger yet, but I'm getting mighty close, especially after I was looking at one yesterday that was set up right next to the 630. The picture on the 550 was actually sharper, and they were getting the identical feed, which wasn't from a DVD player.

I love it. The picture is absolutely incredible. Better than on any of the models I've seen in stores. I didn't see the model I bought ahead of time and took a chance and bought it based on reviews. No regrets. My daughter remarked that she is not sure she likes HD TV. She said that the picture is suppose to look like TV, not like she's there.

Edit: I just read your edit. At the time of my purchase, the reviews rated the 650 as one of the best LCD's comparable to the top Sony, and I got a good price. Plus I wanted 120 Hz.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2009 06:54PM by cyclemax.
Date: February 22, 2009 06:47PM
I'm doing my usual "thing", which is basically over researching and over thinking! Some of us are capable of collecting information almost forever, maybe as an excuse to keep from making a decision? (I think there's somebody else here that does that, too.) All of those Samsungs are getting excellent reviews, so it can be hard for a person like me to finally settle on one. I'm definitely narrowing this down, which is progress. Maybe in another week or two... sad smiley
Date: February 22, 2009 06:56PM
i'll bring the popcorn, DVDs and chocolate!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2009 06:57PM by Racer X.
Posted by: volcs0
Date: February 22, 2009 07:14PM
Years ago, I ordered a 36" JVC (CRT) TV from amazon. The shippers called in advance to arrange a time. They carried it in, unboxed it, and placed it in the entertainment center. They took away all the packing materials.
Date: February 22, 2009 07:18PM
AlphaDog
I'm doing my usual "thing", which is basically over researching and over thinking! Some of us are capable of collecting information almost forever, maybe as an excuse to keep from making a decision? (I think there's somebody else here that does that, too.) All of those Samsungs are getting excellent reviews, so it can be hard for a person like me to finally settle on one. I'm definitely narrowing this down, which is progress. Maybe in another week or two...

It's like you said, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Samsung's. Pick your price and go for it!
Posted by: jardster
Date: February 22, 2009 07:39PM
I got a 50" plasma from Amazon... delivery was by a local company that called to confirm that I would be there on the day of delivery (there was a tracking number given, but that didn't mean much... there was a 4 day "window" of delivery). They brought it into the living room... unpacked it... hooked up the power supply... put together the stand, placed it on my entertainment center, put the batteries in the remote, and made sure that it at least turned on and had basic functions working (I quickly hooked up the Direct TV to make sure the video worked), and finally took away all of the packing that I didn't want.

SO--- I beg to differ with those who say it's just a drop and run---- my service was great!!

Posted by: Stavs
Date: February 22, 2009 07:50PM
Jardster and I got the same set.

My experience was great also. The tv was delivered by a man and his son. They brought the tv in, unpackaged it and made sure it worked. They did not put it on my stand, or attach the plastic stand that comes with it. I wasnt expecting that anyway. They were very nice and did what they were supposed to. They offered to take the box away, but I said I was keeping it for my move.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: February 22, 2009 08:23PM
I was going to buy my 32" Samsung from Amazon, but the price went up by a hundred or so before I pulled the trigger. Then I saw another seller that sold through Amazon had it at the price I'd originally wanted (I think the vendor was 6ave.com). I went ahead and ordered it.

The TV arrived in a box that was totally jacked up. The internal box (the Samsung one) was okay, but the external box was open on top and about half the packing peanuts were gone. I was pretty concerned, but the TV was immaculate, and works perfectly.

Personally, I woud rather put the stand together and stuff like that myself just because I know that I'll be extremely careful and do it the right way, which I wouldn't necessarily trust a delivery person to do. If I wasn't physically capable, though, I'd certainly opt for letting them do it.

My dad got his 42" or 46" Samsung from Amazon, and also had no problems.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Date: February 22, 2009 08:23PM
Jardster
SO--- I beg to differ with those who say it's just a drop and run---- my service was great!!

I think the point is that delivery is hit or miss. The TVs are shipped to the closest distribution center to where you live. I think the quality of your experience is dependent on the local delivery company. As I said earlier, the guy who delivered my TV was reluctantly willing to open the box and carry away the packaging, but that was about all.
Date: February 22, 2009 09:14PM
If the delivery guy happens to have a soft spot for little white haired ladies, I'll be OK. I can be quite charming when I try. smiling smiley
Date: February 22, 2009 09:20PM
you got free chocolate out of me!
Posted by: jawg
Date: February 22, 2009 09:36PM
Bought the Sony 46" XBR4 from Amazon.com in 12-07. Over $500 less that local Best Buy and no tax. Delivery was via Eagle Transport. I did not need to lift a finger. The two delivery guys were very helpful and efficient. They offered to take the packaging away but pointed out if I would need to send the TV back for any reason, that the original packaging would be helpful and necessary, so I kept the box for a while.
Found out a couple of weeks later there was an even further price reduction per Amazon and per their policy they credited the additional difference.
I would not hesitate to make such a purchase again in the future. I, too, had concerns about buying such a large item (price and size), but any worries were for naught.

Date: February 22, 2009 09:47PM
I know I was the one who asked the question, but what happened is that I've been pushed one notch further toward ordering. Oh, my; I guess I'm going to have to think of another annoying question to ask to buy more time before having to make a decision!

Yes, RacerX, you fell for my charms, didn't you? And you didn't even see the white hair! smiling smiley I didn't tell you that I made myself sick on that bat bar Friday afternoon. I knew I shouldn't have gone near it after the day I'd had; it tasted good going down, though. One bat bar dead, with a froggie bar and a Lindt left alive - and both still unopened. For now.
Posted by: colonel panic
Date: February 22, 2009 10:24PM
I bought my 46" Samsung from Amazon. It was shipped for free via Eagle White Glove. They brought it up to the top floor of my four story brownstone. They also unpacked it, told me to inspect it and once I was satisfied they carted away the box. Great Service!

"They don't call me Colonel because I'm some dumb a$$ army guy" Colonel Homer J. Simpson
Posted by: M>B>
Date: February 22, 2009 11:50PM
Well, now you have to order a Blu-ray player and upgrade Netflix to Blu-ray for a dollar a month more, great bargain!

I recently did a similar set up and my BR is coming tomorrow!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 191
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020