advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
best method to learn piano as an adult?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 22, 2009 10:30PM
I do not have time for formal solo lessons but I have time at night to practice and could devote up to an hour a day if I can find a method that keeps me interested.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: best method to learn piano as an adult?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 22, 2009 10:49PM
You can certainly learn on your own, many people do, but taking lessons might actually be a time saver since a piano instructor will help you learn more efficiently. I just took up piano lessons for the first time in my life about a month ago, and it has helped me learn things that I probably would have struggled with on my own.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 22, 2009 11:01PM
. . .they used to have a cd that was mac compatible from Jump Music. . .they had the infommercials. . .they have since gone out of business but I still have the CD. . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: M>B>
Date: February 23, 2009 12:36AM
This is not my field, but Google is your friend...

[library.thinkquest.org]

I Googled "piano tutor" and got this...

[fficial&client=firefox-a" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.google.com]

A lot more out there!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 23, 2009 02:35AM
Practice, practice, practice?

It is what it is.
Posted by: djroga3
Date: February 23, 2009 04:48AM
piano teacher is best...no question
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: February 23, 2009 07:01AM

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: threeprong
Date: February 23, 2009 07:35AM
Learn from a piano teacher first or you'll simply teach yourself the wrong way to play piano.
Date: February 23, 2009 08:53AM
freeradical
You can certainly learn on your own, many people do, but taking lessons might actually be a time saver since a piano instructor will help you learn more efficiently. I just took up piano lessons for the first time in my life about a month ago, and it has helped me learn things that I probably would have struggled with on my own.

good to know. years ago, when I was in junior high or high school I did a few lessons (and still remember the basics of finger placement) but I simply do not have time to take lessons at this point. thanks for the suggestions on online stuff,

thanks for the suggestions.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 23, 2009 09:14AM
. . .this one?

[www.amazon.com]

software is mac compatible but the reviews say the keyboard that comes with it might not be so good. . .you can always just buy the software separately. . .?

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 23, 2009 09:24AM
Some community colleges offer introductory music lessons for cheap. Our local one offers beginning and intermediate piano classes, 10 sessions for $85, one evening a week. It would at give you a good start--and give you an external motivation to practice initially. Then you could take it from there by yourself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2009 09:25AM by Acer.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 23, 2009 09:44AM
N-OS X-tasy!
Practice, practice, practice?

Q: How do you get to Carnegie Hall?
Posted by: Doc
Date: February 23, 2009 09:51AM
My nephew is learning on a Yamaha MIDI keyboard.

The keys light up to guide him through built-in lessons.

'Dunno that it's any good, but it's a place to start.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 23, 2009 09:53AM
Not only is local community college a good idea, but many high school and college educators will do lessons at night and/or on Saturdays.

Getting the practice [routine] down first can be a good idea.

Buying a baby grand and putting it front of the TV might provide some incentive. :-)
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 23, 2009 09:54AM
It's interesting what becomes desirable as we get older. When I was in grade school (or was it junior high?) my mom wanted me to take lessons. She taught vocal music, so she knew how to play. And we had a baby grand at home. Slam dunk, right?

Two problems.

1) I wasn't motivated or all that interested.
2) I could see the TV from behind the piano.

My wife can play a little, sorta. And a few years ago her parents gave her a nice Yamaha electric piano that's about as good as the Kurzweil mom has had for several years. And lately I'm thinking ...
Date: February 23, 2009 10:17AM
deckeda
It's interesting what becomes desirable as we get older. When I was in grade school (or was it junior high?) my mom wanted me to take lessons. She taught vocal music, so she knew how to play. And we had a baby grand at home. Slam dunk, right?

Two problems.

1) I wasn't motivated or all that interested.
2) I could see the TV from behind the piano.

My wife can play a little, sorta. And a few years ago her parents gave her a nice Yamaha electric piano that's about as good as the Kurzweil mom has had for several years. And lately I'm thinking ...

deck, that is my history exactly except replace the baby grand with an old upright that was never quite in tune.

back then, the TV did have my attention and now it's this thing called the interwebs that has got me dumber than a stump... but since we got a nice shiny new Casio digi-piano in the house, I am thinking of pursuing this instead of guitar (which I played badly in high school and college)
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: February 23, 2009 11:04AM
Just don't do it like Irving Berlin and only play on the black keys;).

I'm working on my keyboard skills now that I can get some nice sounds by MIDI'ing to the computer--beats the hell out of those cheesy old Casios. The big thing I've noticed is that piano works different hand muscles than guitar, so I have to work up to it slowly.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 23, 2009 12:45PM
Octave Doctor
Just don't do it like Irving Berlin and only play on the black keys;).

OTOH, Berlin did pretty well with this...
Posted by: Steven
Date: March 03, 2009 08:11PM
Some observations from my experience, as a child I was bored to death trying to pluck put those dull little "melodious" songs in the John Thompson piano instruction books! Parents, tried teaching me, but when left alone my "practice time" was never focused on lesson and music printed on the page, but quickly lapsed into a "pick-out by ear" and parrot back the melody and improvised chord accompaniment to pop songs and melodies, I'd listened to and heard on the radio. It was obvious to them my strength lay in the auditory realm, hearing a sound pattern and re-creating it myself.

The truth is the ability to play any instrument, piano included, will combine to some degree the application of formal music theory (play the tonal progression indicated by written notes across the paper page) and the auditory senses (hearing sounds and re-creating them). Everyone will be better doing one, or the other. Remember, Beethoven was DEAF! Similarly, although a braille musical notation system was developed, it is of little benefit to a blind person, who needs both hands to play a musical instrument and so learn musical passages by rote.

Anyway, now as an adult your goal is not likely to be "Concerto Pianist" proficiency level, with Rachmaonnov concertos as repertoire, but satisfaction and personal enjoyment with simple melodies and songs (i.e., Christmas carols at family get-together).

Learning to play piano as an adult will depend somewhat upon your familiarity with the musical notation system (having played other instruments) and ability to distinguish tonal sounds (i.e., hearing: major, minor, and augmented chords along with arpeggios, rhythmic beat, etc.).

Internet is full of good inexpensive suggestions, for example:
1) Here is a good article: noting inexpensive cost of $150.00 for a MIDI keyboard to attach to your computer and various computer software programs for teaching basic keyboard skills along with elementary music theory concepts:
[pianoeducation.org]

2) Promotional sites advertising --
Video instruction courses:
[www.pianolessonsbyvideo.com]
[www.playpianotoday.com]

Tapes & self-instruction books:
[www.saternamusic.com]

At any rate if you have any prior musical background, would suggest, like me you put prior knowledge to work, and use an instructional technique/method to help you hear, play, and improvise with music. For an adult they logically seem to be the best route to maximum enjoyment (i.e., sitting down to entertain or play favorite songs requested by family, friends, neighbors, co-workers).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020