advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Would you buy a 20" Apple display and what would you pay for it?
Posted by: tahoedrew
Date: February 24, 2009 04:45PM
There's been an Apple display (aluminum, current version) on my local Craigslist for a week or so now and I've been thinking about trying to grab it at a good price.

Since they just announced the 20" has been EOL'd, what would you offer for a near-perfect condition display. The poster is asking $300, but I'm not interested at that price. Given there are other, cheaper displays I have a hard time thinking the Apple's still worth that much of a premium. Given I've already got a Dell 2005FPW that's been performing amazingly for almost 4 years, any other display wouldn't require as color-critical work since it'd probably just go to the office desk.

Of course for $300, I feel like I'd rather get a 24" (or 22") that's got a horizontal resolution of 1200px (maybe even one with a built-in tuner or something!) and use that at home along with the elgato Hybrid as my TV (allowing me to ditch the CRT hanging out in my room) and move the Dell 20" to the office.

Ugh, decisions! But then there's the fact that the Apple display would just look so nice on my office desk that it's hard to resist.

Anyone have any suggestions? I honestly haven't looked at monitors for 4 years (when I bought the Dell) and I'm not sure what's rising to the top these days in terms of monitor manufacturers.

Thanks,
~A
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Would you buy a 20" Apple display and what would you pay for it?
Posted by: weapon
Date: February 24, 2009 04:51PM
No more 20" for me. It is 30 or bigger from now on.

Have an 30" apple display at work. It is so nice it is hard for me to go home and work on my dell 24".

Spoiled now.
Posted by: microchip
Date: February 24, 2009 05:38PM
I've got dual 30 inchers and a 19 incher at work.

Going back to a 20 and a 17 is difficult.

For $300 get a 24 incher.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: February 24, 2009 05:41PM
Refurb Soyo 24" $153 [dealmac.com] maybe not for color critical work but very nice for the price.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: DRR
Date: February 24, 2009 05:41PM
I've had one on my craigslist for $250 for a while now. Lots of interest, nobody has followed through. Sold one at $200. Which I consider to be a very good deal.

I still think $250 is a fair price for both seller and buyer.
Posted by: Black
Date: February 24, 2009 05:57PM
I would pay $200. The Dell that used the same S-IPS panel went for $300-ish new. But then I don't care whether my monitor says "Apple" on it or not. I'd certainly be happy with a 24" monitor but I would only get one with an above average panel, and you won't find that for $300.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 24, 2009 06:02PM
do you want small and high quality or big and low quality?

Posted by: Black
Date: February 24, 2009 06:17PM
mattkime
do you want small and high quality or big and low quality?

I personally would love one of these-- I do vertical 20" dualies with my white iMac and most panels look like crap against it.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 195
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020