advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
SCORE! Apple 20" display for $200
Posted by: tahoedrew
Date: February 25, 2009 07:06PM
In reference to my post here: [forums.macresource.com] about a 20" Apple aluminum display on my local Craigslist for $320, I called the guy today to make an offer.

Told him I hoped he wasn't offended by my offer, I wasn't trying to low-ball him but given the size and the fact that Apple just EOL'd the 20" display I'd offer $200. He took it!

Just have to hit the ATM and meet him across the street in 30 minutes and I'll have a nice 20" display to pair with the MBP. Now I just have to decide whether the Dell 2005FPW stays at home or gets moved to the office and the Apple 20" goes home. The MBP is my only Mac right now, so whenever I'm at one of my desks the 15" will be paired with a 20" display!

~A
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: SCORE! Apple 20" display for $200
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: February 25, 2009 07:18PM
Nice!
Posted by: Wailer
Date: February 25, 2009 08:10PM
You better run.

I've had people agree to a price and an agreement-to-meet only for them to accept slightly more from someone else they were already in discussions with.

Craigslist can definitely be a time suck. Whatever bargains I've scored have been far outweighed by unresponsive or flakey sellers; you really have to enjoy the process for it to worth the time. I've gone to a few sellers and seen people try to sell goods they knew were defective. It's very easy to get duped and there really isn't any recourse.
Date: February 26, 2009 12:41AM
Picked it up 30 minutes after my post, met the guy at a starbucks, we walked in, plugged it in, hooked it up to my MBP, works like a charm, handed over my $200 and we were both happy.

Turns out we've got quite a few friends in common and he's on twitter (there's a strong community of marketers and others who are on in the valley here, I happen to be one of them) and had seen each other's tweets from our common friends. Also turns out the guy's a mobile web developer... we ended up chatting for a bit after the exchange... good times!

~A
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 26, 2009 08:29AM
tahoedrew
Picked it up 30 minutes after my post, met the guy at a starbucks, we walked in, plugged it in, hooked it up to my MBP, works like a charm, handed over my $200 and we were both happy.

Turns out we've got quite a few friends in common and he's on twitter (there's a strong community of marketers and others who are on in the valley here, I happen to be one of them) and had seen each other's tweets from our common friends. Also turns out the guy's a mobile web developer... we ended up chatting for a bit after the exchange... good times!

~A

Glad it turned out well. Enjoy!!!

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: rz
Date: February 26, 2009 09:21AM
Wailer
Craigslist can definitely be a time suck. Whatever bargains I've scored have been far outweighed by unresponsive or flakey sellers; you really have to enjoy the process for it to worth the time. I've gone to a few sellers and seen people try to sell goods they knew were defective. It's very easy to get duped and there really isn't any recourse.

I dunno... the 3 month old MacPro that retails for $2400 that I got for $1000 on CL last month certainly seemed worth it to me.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 26, 2009 10:20AM
I dunno... the 3 month old MacPro that retails for $2400 that I got for $1000 on CL last month certainly seemed worth it to me.

There are exceptions, and your experience does nothing to negate anything in Wailer's cautionary post.

Two for two, I'm good now.

We are a government of laws, not men.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: February 26, 2009 01:26PM

I'm having a hard time getting work done today!

~A
Posted by: Wailer
Date: February 26, 2009 02:15PM
Nice score TahoeDrew. The best part is that you met someone interesting.

I've had lots of great CL finds but that goes hand-in-hand with a lot of unreturned emails, misrepresented items and last minute "change of mind" after someone gets flooded with emails and realized they priced their item too low.

I enjoy browsing CL but if I add up all the hours that I did to score some great deals, I'm sure my "hourly wage" would be less the minimum wage. It's only because I've met some interesting people that keeps me interested.

I've had great luck selling on CL. People who I've sold cars and other stuff to ALWAYS complain about what I've previously stated; when there are low barriers (read: free to post), you never know which sellers are really serious. At least ebay has a listing fee and the recycler required disclosing your ph#. But some people who post on CL just aren't serious or enjoy messing with other people. In fact, all the other unreasonable ads on CL make my reasonable asking prices look like a steal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020