advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Going to SF for first time - must see / must do's?
Posted by: volcs0
Date: February 28, 2009 12:01PM
I'm going to SF for a meeting in two weeks. I'm going to take my wife with me (no kids). We will be there for 4 nights. I will be busy during the days but free in the evenings. My wife will have her days open to sightsee.

What things do we want to do for sure?

Alcatraz? Golden Gate?

We probably will not rent a car - but we could if it would make a big difference to our trip...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going to SF for first time - must see / must do's?
Posted by: msglee
Date: February 28, 2009 12:15PM
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: February 28, 2009 12:37PM
Google tour SF. Many real good ones by boat and bus.

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Date: February 28, 2009 12:42PM
Don't drive.

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Posted by: john dough
Date: February 28, 2009 12:50PM
GREAT food to eat:
- Chinese - House of Nanking (Columbus / Kearny). I eat there every time I am in SF. The owner (Peter Fang) remembers what I eat and makes sure that I get a great meal.
- Ethiopian -- Masawa 1538 - Haight street
- Indian/fusion food - Avatar (In Sausalito) - 2656 Bridgeway Blvd

All of these places have remarkable food and the staff are VERY friendly (well, at Nanking, the owner is nice to you, the staff is, to be polite, indifferent).

If you have only time to drive around, go through Golden Gate Park to the beach. Really great views in the daytime (nighttime is a bit dicey in parts).

If you have little time and want to see most of SF in the shortest amount of time, go to the top of Twin Peaks. High above the City, you can see to Marin, Oakland/Berkeley and most of SF, from the Sunset/GG Park/downtown/Castro/Mission/Bayview-Hunters point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2009 12:51PM by john dough.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 28, 2009 12:53PM
I really enjoyed Alcatraz. I learned quite a bit from the tour and the museum inside. I didn't know that it was occupied for several years by a confederation of native american tribes in the 60's.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: rtwdwk
Date: February 28, 2009 01:34PM
Find time time to walk across the Golden Gate. Its worth it, there are also a number of bike tours you can take. But walk the bridge.
Posted by: Shakes
Date: February 28, 2009 01:42PM
I've been there hundreds of times and only the last time did we finally go to Alcatraz. I took it for granted and thought of it as nothing but a over-rated tourist place. I was completely wrong. I loved it and it was well worth it. Oh, if you like oysters, one of my favorite places to eat is Zuni's
Posted by: Silencio
Date: February 28, 2009 01:47PM
I'll post more later, but in the meantime STF as this topic comes up regularly.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: February 28, 2009 02:31PM
Seared Tuna at Zuni Cafe mentioned above was excellent.
Scoma's - good seafood
Have an Irish coffee at the Buena Vista while at the wharf.
Rent bicycles at the wharf and ride across the Golden Gate to Sausalito - good bars and restaurants for lunch. You can ride the ferry back.
I haven't eaten at many bad restaurants in SF. It and New Orleans are my favorite places to dine.
Wish I was going.

Mike
Posted by: Chris Y
Date: February 28, 2009 02:35PM
definitely check out the GG bridge. if nice you can rent bikes and bike from pier 39 across the gg bridge to sausalito and then take ferry back to pier 39

Alternatively, take the ferry from the ferry building to Sausalito. also the ferry building has a nice farmers market.
Posted by: maco
Date: February 28, 2009 03:20PM
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.
Posted by: jonny
Date: February 28, 2009 03:26PM
[www.amazon.com]

the bible
Posted by: beerman
Date: February 28, 2009 03:38PM
I also enjoyed alcatraz, I highly recommend the tour. Also, that entire area by the water is alot of fun.

I'll second the "don't drive" comment. Take the trolly when you can and otherwise get a taxi.
Date: February 28, 2009 04:07PM
Alcatraz is freezing, Wait for August.

(Paul Valery)
Posted by: rexs
Date: February 28, 2009 04:10PM
People watch on Union St on Saturday morning
Irish coffee at Buena Vista
Take your walking shoes and walk around Pacific Heights, Telegraph Hill, and on to North Beach, China Town

My favorite Italian place .
Every local we have ever taken there became a regular.
Best gnocci in the world, (outside of some little place on the hill above Posatano )Firenze By Night
415) 392-8485
North Beach
1429 Stockton St
San Francisco, CA 94133

Camera Obscura
[www.giantcamera.com]

Best breakfast
everything has a twist to make it better than you thought it could be.
say hi to JoAnn
JoAnn's Cafe
1131 El Camino Real
South San Francisco, CA 94080
[www.yelp.com]

Best Chinese Food in SF
order General Tso's Chicken, there is a reason you'll see it on half the tables.
Tai Chi Restaurant
2031 Polk St
San Francisco, CA 94109

[maps.google.com]
Posted by: MikeF
Date: February 28, 2009 04:32PM
You might have to book Alcatraz online to go there. Sometimes the day tours back up and there is no more room.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: February 28, 2009 06:43PM
Here's what I still remember from going to visit my aunt 30 years ago:

Fisherman's Wharf --- I still remember the seafood smell...awesome!

Golden Gate Bridge -- Very neat

Lombard St. -- the curviest street around!

Some restaurant where the toilet seats were painted to look like hippopotamus heads, and when you opened the seat, painted to look like the inside of their mouths. Cute.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Date: February 28, 2009 07:55PM
I'd avoid Fisherman's Wharf in general, unless you want to catch the ferry to Alcatraz, grab an In-n-Out Burger, or go to Buena Vista.

I used to love Tai Chi and order from them often, but the past few times I got hairs in the food and swore them off for life.

If you don't want to leave the City for a killer breakfast, try Ella's on Presidio Avenue. Dottie's True Blue Cafe is in a rough stretch of the Tenderloin and the wait is interminable, but great great brekky.

Drink lots of coffee. Find a Blue Bottle stand, or go to Four Barrel or Ritual Roasters on Valencia Street.

If the weather's nice, take a long walk through Crissy Field, up the coast to Fort Point, then climb the stairs to the Golden Gate Bridge.

If you like music, go to Amoeba Records in the Upper Haight. Otherwise I can't think of many reasons to stop in that part of town - the Summer of Love is long since over.
Posted by: motopsyco
Date: March 01, 2009 12:29AM
Being born and raised in this town I'll suggest the walking tours as the best way to get to know "The City".

[www.sfcityguides.org]

BTW, the crookedest street in San Francisco is Vermont Street, near San Francisco General Hospital.

[en.wikipedia.org]

The Sausalito Ferry is one of the most highly rated ferry rides too.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Palace of the Legion of Honor. Built and donated to the city by Alma Spreckels. She was the model for the figure atop the memorial in Union Square.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Of course check out the new digs for the Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park.

[en.wikipedia.org]

So there, that should burn up some time.

Cheers!
Date: March 01, 2009 09:16AM
Market Streetcars The Ferry Building. Fun and food too. My car was broken into in carpark. Lost 2

packpacks with new Powerbooks G4 inside.

Next time I'll be packing iron.

(Paul Valery)
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 01, 2009 11:19AM
My man Silencio hates Fisherman's Wharf, but visitors love it. It's an unforgettable experience for them. I remember the first time I saw it in 1978. It was so iconic to me. And now, they have Sea Lions.
Posted by: Black
Date: March 01, 2009 11:26AM
Hook up with a forum folk or two for a few hours and have 'em show you around.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: March 01, 2009 06:32PM
Fisherman's Wharf wasn't so bad in 1978. It's stayed much the same and gotten kind of run down, is all. I did say there are some attractions there that are worth going to (can't forget to include the Musee Mechanique, as well), but things like dining over there are seriously overrated and overpriced.

If you take a Blue & Gold ferry to Alcatraz or Sausalito or Tiburon or whatever, you'll be able to see the docks where the sea lions are.
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 02, 2009 01:48AM
Silencio
Fisherman's Wharf wasn't so bad in 1978. It's stayed much the same and gotten kind of run down, is all. I did say there are some attractions there that are worth going to (can't forget to include the Musee Mechanique, as well), but things like dining over there are seriously overrated and overpriced.

If you take a Blue & Gold ferry to Alcatraz or Sausalito or Tiburon or whatever, you'll be able to see the docks where the sea lions are.

All true.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020