advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best way to move from G3 iMac to new 20" iMac
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: March 06, 2009 07:16AM
My Parents upgraded from a G3 iMac(with Firewire) running Tiger to a "New" Previous Editions 20" iMac.
($999 at Apple Store B&M, also got a 1GB ram upgrade installed for $50 and 10% off Office).

Is Migration Assistant the best way to transfer their stuff, or does it still cause problems going from G3 to Intel. I'll be setting them up on Saturday.

I don't mind doing it by hand either.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best way to move from G3 iMac to new 20" iMac
Posted by: zachdog
Date: March 06, 2009 07:32AM
That's quite an upgrade! Migration Assistant will work great. All they need is a FireWire cable. It should work flawlessly, although any fonts in the G3 OS 9 System Folder won't move over.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 06, 2009 07:37AM
Step 1- push old iMac onto the floor.
Step 2- put new iMac on desk
Step 3- ???
Step 4- profit!
Posted by: AAA
Date: March 06, 2009 07:53AM
Migration assistant = easiest

Start from scratch = best
Posted by: rz
Date: March 06, 2009 08:09AM
Agree with AAA. But I'm assuming your parents don't have a lot of stuff on the G3, so starting from scratch and migrating by hand might not really be all that hard. I went from a G5 last fall to an intel iMac using Migration Assistant. I didn't really have problems, but I had a few annoying glitches. Last month I went from the iMac to a Power Mac and decided to start from scratch instead and hand migrate everything. Took longer, but ultimately I think it was a better decision.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: March 06, 2009 08:21AM
I've used Migration Assistant several times with NO problems -
Posted by: MacManMaz
Date: March 06, 2009 08:37AM
Another vote for migration assistant, it is amazing to login on the new machine and have all the mail passwords, software registration, keychain etc working.

I found it best to NOT migrate applications, but rather re-install them after migration. The only prob I ever ran into migrating from a G3 was some startup items that transferred as the PPC version. These ppc apps really slowed the machine down. To avoid this just remove any third party items that startup at login from the G3 before migrating. Install new intel versions after migrating.

One common glitch.. if safari keeps asking for the keychain password every time when you launch it, reset the users master keychain password (you can use the same password) using keychain access and it will reset the safari password.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2009 08:45AM by MacManMaz.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: March 06, 2009 09:42AM
I agree with AAA and rz, I'm a big fan of starting from scratch. The extra time it takes is well worth not having to deal with possible problems.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 06, 2009 09:52AM
$50 for one gig? highway robbery

$50 would buy you 4 gigs -- and installation is ONE screw

the instructions are even printed on the bottom of the imacs foot -- ok, too late now...

migration assistant is my advice as well -- easiest for them

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 06, 2009 10:44AM
Kurtzie,

On the new machine, create your parent's account(s) and then transfer their data over from the old machine to the new one. However, I wouldn't transfer applications over. Install them from scratch. The Imac will come with the newest flavors of the iapps. If they have non-apple apps, install them from scratch. Depending on when they got said programs, some may have newer flavors that are universal and installing from scratch will ensure they get the intel version of it. That will result in a boost in performance.

BTW, in the process of moving from the old machine to the new one, it's a golden opportunity to sort through their docs and apps and get rid of extraneous junk. For example, I can near guarantee they have a slew of apps installed they haven't used in a very long time or are in serious need in updating. If it's a program they haven't used since forever, then dump it. Other apps may have newer flavors available that may be worth investigating, especially if the newer version is universal or intel only.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2009 10:49AM by Robert M.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 06, 2009 11:03AM
Migration Assistant. I use it all the time at work transferring 10s of GBs every time and it just works. You may have to reinstall some progs that insert themselves deep into the system (SAV, VPN) but it's so easy and such a timesaver that I don't do it any other way. And I've done G5-Intel, G4-Intel, G3-Intel and Intel-G4 (yes, once) transfers w/o any major problems.
Posted by: AAA
Date: March 06, 2009 11:35AM
What I really want/need is MA for my new Leopard server config I'm doing. Any like feature for this?
Posted by: dpaynter
Date: March 06, 2009 01:25PM
I just did this 2 months ago (400 MHz G3 iMac running Tiger to new 20" iMac). I used Migration Assistant and everything came right over except for Mail.

This appears to be a common problem. i found several proposed manual solutions on the net and tried a few before one actually worked for me.

So, one annoying glitch, but overall I had a pretty smooth experience with MA.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: March 06, 2009 01:57PM
dpaynter
I just did this 2 months ago (400 MHz G3 iMac running Tiger to new 20" iMac). I used Migration Assistant and everything came right over except for Mail.

This appears to be a common problem. i found several proposed manual solutions on the net and tried a few before one actually worked for me.

So, one annoying glitch, but overall I had a pretty smooth experience with MA.

Do you remember what the problem for mail was and how you fixed it?

I think mail and their browser bookmarks will be my Parent's biggest concern. I've upgraded alot of computers in my day, just want to find out what's quickest and easiest.

Thanks,

Steve
Posted by: dpaynter
Date: March 07, 2009 05:05PM
kurtzie

Do you remember what the problem for mail was and how you fixed it?

I think mail and their browser bookmarks will be my Parent's biggest concern. I've upgraded alot of computers in my day, just want to find out what's quickest and easiest.

Thanks,

Steve

The problem I had was that Migration Assistant copied all of the settings and mailboxes, but when I started Mail all of the mailboxes were empty. Then Mail could not be terminated (except with Force Quit).

Some people seem to solve this problem with a simple manual copy like this (last post)

[www.applematters.com]

That didn't work for me, but the following procedure did the trick (first post)

[discussions.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 79
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020