The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Chrysler sucks
Posted by: ajakeski
Date: March 20, 2009 05:16PM
Poll
Chrysler's fate
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
37 votes were received.
Bail them out 7

19%
Let them go 30

81%

I have a 2005 Grand Caravan and it's starting to rust through. I had it to the dealer and they refuse to repair it. Just like they refused to fix the electrical issues, brakes and oil leaks.
It's hard for me to feel bad for them when they build crap and refuse to service the crap they build.
I know, it's my fault for buying it in the pirst place.

I'm not a bad guy! I work hard, and I love my kids. So why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to Hell? -Homer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Chrysler sucks
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 20, 2009 05:27PM

It is what it is.
Posted by: DP
Date: March 20, 2009 05:29PM
Sorry to hear that. I'm on my third since '02 and haven't had any problems. Isn't there a 100K mile rust-thru warranty?
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: March 20, 2009 06:10PM
Bailed out by Fiat. Now majority owner. Get a bicycle.

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Posted by: Golfer
Date: March 20, 2009 06:16PM
That sucks. An '05 with rust would really tick me off. Having said that, we just got rid of our '05 Town & Country and it was an awesome vehicle. Drove great on the road and was very reliable. My wife really hated to see it go, but with the recently acquired handicap van I couldn't justify making payments on both.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 20, 2009 06:21PM
Ya know, pretty much every auto manufacturer has a CAC (customer assistance center) that exists to resolve issues with your vehicle.

An '05 should have a warranty covering every one of those issues your dealer is refusing to repair.

I'm not sticking up for Chrysler, but it could be that the dealer is the problem. Have you tried another dealer?

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: March 20, 2009 06:21PM
DP
...I'm on my third since '02 and haven't had any problems...

Reading between the lines - does that mean the average lifespan of a Chrysler is less than 2.5 years? ;)
Posted by: Lee3
Date: March 20, 2009 06:28PM
Yes, as far as I am concerned, any 3 year old vehicle should have zero problems. My 1998 Toyota Tacoma has had zero problems and is still solid. No squeaks rattles or trim falling off. That should be the norm
Posted by: jims
Date: March 20, 2009 06:40PM
74 Charger 90 Caravan mini van 98 Sebring convertible and a 08 Charger. No problems with any on them that were not normal wear.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: March 20, 2009 07:06PM
ajakeski
I have a 2005 Grand Caravan and it's starting to rust through. I had it to the dealer and they refuse to repair it. Just like they refused to fix the electrical issues, brakes and oil leaks.
It's hard for me to feel bad for them when they build crap and refuse to service the crap they build.
I know, it's my fault for buying it in the pirst place.
2005 and "Rusting Through"??
Your Warranty.:
Rust: 5 yr. / 100,000 mi.
Rust or Corrosion Warranty: This warranty covers the vehicle's sheet metal, and protects you from rust and corrosion that are severe enough to cause a hole - surface rust is not covered. However, if you keep your car washed and waxed rust shouldn't be a problem.
You are covered, go to another dealership.

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Could be worse.
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 20, 2009 08:22PM
I've got a 2003 Mini, 40,000 miles, about to need its third transmission. First one failed just out of warrantee. Too bad.

Dealer (Metrowerks Mini in Minneapolis area) says they'll fix it for _another_ $5K. Other than that, tough luck, chuck.

Google "Mini transmission problems". BMW put crap transmissions in them til 2005, and they're hoping us saps that bought a Mini before then will just fade away.

Sorry about your rust-through, but I'd trade your problem for mine in a blink.

(PS- whatever you do, don't buy a used pre-2005 Mini. It's not if, but when they will fail.)
Posted by: AAA
Date: March 20, 2009 08:50PM
I've had plenty of Chrysler products. A variety of normal issues. Some with no issues past 100k. And I abuse them. They work(ed) for me.
Date: March 20, 2009 09:02PM
I've had Chrysler products for 20 years. Never had any real dogs, and I've always had great service. My 1996 Ram has 99,000 miles and not a spec of rust. The fact that this van is a POS just makes me more angry. I called another dealer and was given the same blow off about the rust. I've contacted Chrysler and I'm waiting....
As for thet MINI, mine is an '05. Trans is fine.

I'm not a bad guy! I work hard, and I love my kids. So why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to Hell? -Homer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2009 09:03PM by ajakeski.
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 20, 2009 09:18PM

As for thet MINI, mine is an '05. Trans is fine.

Manual or automatic?

If you've got a Midlands 5 speed manual (pre 2005) or ZF CVT automatic (pre Jan 2005), get rid of it before it fails. Seriously. Models after that are fine.
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: March 20, 2009 09:38PM
My grandfather sold Chevrolets so no one in our family has ever owned a Chrysler product.

Posted by: Dakota
Date: March 20, 2009 10:06PM
Chrysler has the most exciting product line up of the three. I hope they stay alive. My Dodge has been flawless.
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 20, 2009 10:08PM
My 2004 Toyota Sienna (delivered in Dec 2003) was up on the lift for a brake job last month. The mechanic and I looked it over (under actually smiling smiley ). We were both impressed that it looked almost new (about 53,000 miles on it; parked outside). The mechanic commented that, with just the reasonable care (just following the service manual guidelines), my minivan will last well past 10 years. Still rides & handles like new.
Date: March 21, 2009 06:31AM
I've been working in the bodyshop business full or part time since 1990. I have a wall of ICAR and ASE training certificates. I would like to assume I'm the reason my 1996 Ram still runs and looks like new. My cars are well maintained.
This van is a disappointment.
Chrysler is a disappointment.
Maybe Fiat will save the day.

My Mini is a six speed manual. What's the point of owning one with an automatic?

Posted by: Doc
Date: March 21, 2009 07:56AM
As someone who used to drive their SUVs, I think this is what's wrong with Chrysler: They are at least 10 years behind on technology and marketing, their prices are too high for the quaint products they sell and the system of selling and maintaining those products is woefully broken.

I now expect Chrysler to announce an affordable SUV with decent MPG -- either hybrid or diesel -- roughly the day after Skynet launches the nukes.
Posted by: AAA
Date: March 21, 2009 08:42AM
The Patriot came out with an MSRP about $15k. It's a great deal. With rebates and such it's even better. I took one out back-to-back against RAV4, Acura RDX and Honda CR/V. In 9" fresh snow.

For the price, it's a great deal and very good in the snow. The Honda was the best, imo, but base price of thousands more.

All depends what you want. I am not an owner of any of the above.
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: March 21, 2009 11:39AM
CR places Chrysler/Dodge at top of Do No Buy list for the umpteenth time. Why buy? April 2009 Issue.

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Posted by: Buck
Date: March 21, 2009 12:56PM
I've owned Intrepids/Concords and Caravans. Never a major problem, except 1 transmission on a 1992 @ 150K.

We should not bail them out (Ford, GM, Chrysler), but instead let them reorganize under Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. Redo everything including union contracts, outsourcing, dealerships, consolidating brands, etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 182
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020