advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Time Machine question
Posted by: DP
Date: March 28, 2009 10:57AM
I have a 500GB external dedicated to TM. Seeing some questions on the forum a few days ago, I just checked mine and found out it is almost filled up! My computer HD has about 150GB on it so where did the extra 350GB come from? I was under the impression that TM just overwrote existing data to update.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Time Machine question
Posted by: tortoise
Date: March 28, 2009 11:11AM
Your impression is mistaken, TM is incremental backup by design and only when when it has used nearly all the capacity of your drive does it start overwriting existing backups to make space for the newer backups. It does this by dumping the oldest backups sequentially to clear space for the newer versions.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: March 28, 2009 11:12AM
If it overwrote existing data, how could you go back in time to restore previous versions of files? That's not how TM works.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 28, 2009 11:36AM
Yes, it will eventually fill up whatever space you assign it with the incremental backups.

The more HD space, the farther "back in time" you can go to retrieve a file. Once it hits it's limit, the oldest slice goes to make way for the newest.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: March 28, 2009 12:14PM
It WILL dump data when it needs room. Read Time Machine Help. I believe you get notification for that.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: DP
Date: March 28, 2009 01:14PM
>f it overwrote existing data, how could you go back in time to restore previous versions of files?
So I didn't explain it properly. What I meant was I thought it would add new data but not add a whole day's data if nothing had changed. Since I do back up everything important to my externals I should be OK for work data, etc.
Thanx all.
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 28, 2009 04:56PM
as I understand it, first time you start Time Machine, it will back up the entire (internal) drive to the external Backup disk. It's almost like a "clone" (but it is NOT a clone). All the data is there, but it is not bootable.

Next time TM does a back, it looks at the internal drive, and the data that has changed or was added it is backup up to the external drive, the data that did not change, it is not backup up again. This is why the second back takes much less time than the first one.

Now it is possible that you have a large file somewhere (database?) that has several GB, and you may make small changes to this file, but TM will back up the entire file, and thus it gets backed up again and again and it fills the drive.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020