advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Question for DELL Mini Experts
Posted by: TiUser
Date: April 16, 2009 04:38PM
Okay, I have decided to return my eeepc 1000HE and go for a DELL Mini 9. (I just can't work with XP or the various Linux distros that I've tried). Anyhow. I've read the FAQ and installation methods on MyDellMini.com. However, I came across a thread on installing OS X directly onto the Runcore SSD. This is possible since the Runcore has a slave USB port that can be attached to any Mac for easy installation of Leopard. Many on the board here have recommended to buy refurb with Ubuntu installed. Since the stock on the Linux ones are low and if I can install OS X on the Runcore on another Mac, is there any reason for me to wait for the Linux version to become available? Can't I just get the XP version since I will swap out the drive anyway? Has anyone successfully installed OS X directly onto the Runcore? What other procedures are necessary for it to run on the Dell Mini once the drive is swapped? Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Question for DELL Mini Experts
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: April 16, 2009 04:52PM
I tried it but messed things when it came time to run DellEFI.
It's all come a long way since then so it's probably doable.

Here is where the knowledge resides.
[mydellmini.com]

Posted by: silvarios
Date: April 16, 2009 04:52PM
Woa, big step down in hardware. I'm sorry you don't like the Linux distros. That's a big step down.

Nathan
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 16, 2009 06:01PM
TiUser
I came across a thread on installing OS X directly onto the Runcore SSD.

Got a link? I didn't find it.
No help from me...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 16, 2009 06:16PM
...since I'm no expert and I actually like Ubuntu.

(The mini Mini keyboard I'm not so crazy about.)

I'm in D.C. for a couple of days (I leave tomorrow) and traveling with the Mini is truly painless (except for typing which is tougher than using my 'Phone!).

Zipped right through TSA, and as I expected, a girl with a 12" PB got stalled while they tested it for explosives. She said it was the first time it happened to here, but TSA as tested my PB12 every time I've taken it.

The hotel has free Wifi in the lobby and free Wired in the rooms. Next time I'll take a AirPort Express.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: guitarist
Date: April 16, 2009 06:18PM
What's a distro?
Posted by: wowzer
Date: April 16, 2009 06:39PM
distro is the distribution of linux.

Personally, I got the dell mini with xp in case osx was hard to install and if I needed to use some piece of software that linux couldn't support...

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Date: April 16, 2009 07:27PM
It's actually not necessary to get a Runcore SSD. There seems to be a prevailing assumption that a Dell Mini 9 bargain means a mandatory investment in replacement hardware: an internal HD "swap-out". You can also just use the factory-installed HD, and add storage via a fast and affordable SDHC card, or use existing USB storage, thumb drives, mini USB drives, network storage, etc.

For some, it's fun to stay super cheap. For others, it's a platform, like a tuner car, something to customize and lavish attention on, and use as a primary computer, or a hybridized hobby project. Once you start spending $100+ on replacement hardware to customize it, it's no longer an ultra-cheap ultra-portable. It becomes just another computer to customize, fuss over, and spend money on. Runcore optional, not mandatory.
Date: April 16, 2009 08:17PM
deckeda
TiUser
I came across a thread on installing OS X directly onto the Runcore SSD.

Got a link? I didn't find it.

Here it is: [mydellmini.com]
Date: April 17, 2009 08:19AM
guitarist
It's actually not necessary to get a Runcore SSD.
I understand. It's just that it comes with a USB port unlike other drives. So among all the Hackintosh Dell Mini experts here with Runcore SSDs, no one has had the experience of directly putting OS X on the Runcore by connecting it to a Mac?
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: April 17, 2009 10:37AM
TiUser
So among all the Hackintosh Dell Mini experts here with Runcore SSDs, no one has had the experience of directly putting OS X on the Runcore by connecting it to a Mac?
They do.
But the first wave of installers didn't have a RunCore, they had the Dell installed SSD's, now that the RunCore is out in numbers, folks can experiment.

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Date: April 17, 2009 04:42PM
What's a "hackintosh Dell Mini expert"?

I thought they stopped calling Dell Mini a "hackintosh" when idiots like you and me could install Leopard on them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 137
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020