Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to make visible aliases invisible?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 18, 2009 12:52PM
deckeda
I'm off to investigate the non-invisible folder issue mentioned by Markintosh, here: [forums.macresource.com] I've got it too.

If anyone knows how to fix this, I'm all ears. I used Super Get Info to set the invisible bit on the folders (because it was hand) but it has no effect on etc, tmp and var. Using a .hidden file doesn't work for these kinds of files either.

I also tried chflags and couldn't get it to doesn't work for this, even with the -P flag. setfiles is also supposed to work, I think, but the mini 9 doesn't have the Dev Tools installed.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to make visible aliases invisible?
Posted by: Doc
Date: April 18, 2009 01:54PM
I use setfile from the Developer Tools. Here's a whole bunch of methods to play with.

[www.macfixit.com]
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 18, 2009 04:18PM
Finally got it. If there was an Olympic event for # of web pages searched, things tried and failed I'd have won it today. As with most things, it's "really easy" once you know how.

sudo SetFile -P -a V /tmp /etc /var

and then relaunch Finder
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: April 19, 2009 01:13AM
Yes I saw that route too. I had not installed Developer Tools so I failed to try it. So yesterday morning I did a complete reinstallation and it came out fine this time with proper visibility on all files. I had also noticed some other wackiness with some files not appearing in proper places when I tried some other solutions. A reinstall seemed like the thing to do. Took less than an hour as I still had my flash drives set up.

It's all good now...just need to run monolingual and install iWork.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 121
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020