advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ugenty Needed Advice: Rebuilt, Used engine or Used car
Posted by: kap
Date: March 27, 2006 03:53PM
My Honda Accord LX 86 185,000 mile four pistol engine is shot sad smiley ... long story. My trusty mechanic for the past 20 years suggests a 90 day warranty new used engine from a yunk yard company, which he has been doing business for many years without any problems. The engine will cost $500 and the labor $600. The GRAND total is $1,400. Should I go for the new used engine? How reliable are these types? How do I find out the original mileage? Should I have the engine rebuilt or should I hack up the $$$$$ to buy an used car instead? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Kap

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2006 04:00PM by kap.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ugent: Need advice on USED car engine
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: March 27, 2006 04:00PM
What is the price for a new engine?
Many Japanese engines can be sourced with really low miles from Japan, since the smog/inspection laws there make the engines get replace at about 50,000
Re: Ugent: Need advice on USED car engine
Posted by: Greg the dogsitter
Date: March 27, 2006 04:02PM
Ken Sp. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the price for a new engine?
> Many Japanese engines can be sourced with really
> low miles from Japan, since the smog/inspection
> laws there make the engines get replace at about
> 50,000

I have heard this, too. Kap, please get this done, with a bigger engine than you had originally. I'm taking notes. :-)
Re: Ugenty Needed Advice: Rebuilt, Used engine or Used car
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 27, 2006 04:14PM
Ditto Ken's info on Japanese engines -- most used engines sold in CA for Japanese cars are from Nippon. As for their reliability... well, that can be something of a crap shoot. Years ago I replaced the engine in my wife's '87 Nissan Sentra with a used engine; it never ran right again.

If your trusted mechanic advises you to go that route, I think it's safe to say you'll be OK.

It is what it is.
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 27, 2006 04:20PM
This questions depends a lot on the condition of the rest of your Accord, but ask yourself where you're going to find a decent used car (the history of which you know very well) for $1400.
Posted by: LaserKun
Date: March 27, 2006 04:33PM
Having lived in Japan for over 23 years, and bought 5 new cars/vans while living there, I can tell you that you are not required by Japanese inspection/smog laws to replace your car at any mileage. After three years, a new car must be inspected, then every two years until ten years, thereafter, once a year. Few people in Japan keep a car that long.

Okay, back on target: I also suggest you follow your mechanic's advice, with one red flag in my mind. That is, if your Honda's engine went bad with only 185,000 miles, I wonder about your mechanic. Most Hondas I know of go at least 250,000 - 300,000 miles with not much engine trouble. Maybe you got it with many miles already on it and it had not been well maintained. Hondas are just not supposed to croak at that mileage level. Anything can happen... but.

If the body and rest of the car is in great shape, I also say go with another engine. (hmm.. $500 for the engine, $600 labor = $1,400. New math I guess...).
Posted by: billb
Date: March 27, 2006 04:34PM
Used (not rebuilt) can be a crap shoot.
Can your mechanic run it/emissions test it before installing it ?

Rebuilt can be pricey.
Is the rest of the car worth it ?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 27, 2006 04:40PM
What shape is the car in generally?

How much could you sell it for? How much would that plus the cost of the transplant buy you.

Where I live, you can buy a pretty decent used car for $2000.
Date: March 27, 2006 04:51PM
LaserKun,

This car belonged to my aunt at one point. She bought it brand new and took great care of it ... every little ding it got she would take it to her local Honda dealership. The dealership loved her! Her husband cringed. She lives in a small town so she didn't have to drive much. As a matter of fact, the car had been stored in the garage for 5 years before it was sold to me. Yes, I have received many compliments for how good a 20 year old car looks. The engine wasn't a bad one; it was mucked up by a person ... though unintentionally.

The $1,400 includes oil change, oil filter, timing belt, coolant, etc. that involves with the installation of another engine.

====

billb,
Yes, my mechanic said that he would throrouhly check the engine before he would accept it for installation. As I said this mechanic has taken good care of cars owned by my family as well as my S/O's. So there are no trust issues here.

SoCal for now.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2006 05:12PM by kap.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 27, 2006 05:55PM
On my wife's Topaz, I would say you are crazy, but on a Honda like you describe, not a bad idea.

without it, you car has almost no value, and a reasonable replacement would be well over the cost of that engine swap. This is one of the few situations where I would put that much money/effort into an older car.
Posted by: M>B>
Date: March 27, 2006 07:26PM
A little bit about used engines from Japan...

[www.risingsunengines.com]

P.S. No affiliation with the Co. I recently book marked this because I was thinking of getting one???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2006 07:29PM by M>B>.
Posted by: LaserKun
Date: March 27, 2006 07:46PM
Kap,

If the car is 20 years old, I surely would not do this; there are just too many things that will be going wrong from now on. Even Hondas... Seems to me that you need to think about a littel newer car.

I just went through a similar situation with two cars I was trying to hold on to; one was 22 years old, the other just 10, and both in great condition. But, things started happenind to them, and I wound up spending more than what I sold them for. I learned... I hope. Good success.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 27, 2006 08:07PM
Kap,

This is your lucky day! I happen to have an Accord I'm looking to sell right now. Just as reliable as the one you have now (except mine has a working engine), but much newer! Yes, the price I'm asking is an order of magnitude higher than what your engine swap will cost, but just think -- no installation hassles!

You're only a few miles down the freeway from me -- let's make this happen! winking smiley

It is what it is.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 27, 2006 08:30PM
I don't think I'd do it if I were you. Honda auto trannys of that vintage are not known for longevity...in fact, a friend of mine and I both had our trannys go out in the last few years...mine was a '91, hers an '85. I don't know how the manual trannys hold up.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: March 28, 2006 09:19AM
N-OS-X-tasty,
Thanks for the offer but we have decided to go ahead with the used new engine option ... it's our only option due to budget constraint.

Thanks everyone else for your advices. We are hoping our Honda will last another 5-10 years without any major problem.

Kap

SoCal for now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 187
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020