advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
This sounds fishy to me...An ebay member as of 3/27/06
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 27, 2006 04:18PM
Wow. I'm new to the world of E BAY but I have been DYING for this IBOOK! $500 & slightly used! AMAZING! I don't have any history so I don't know if you would sell to me. I would pay with credit card, or paypall if that is prefered. I could send a money order or a check if thats best, but I feel that it would take much longer that way. I see you are in Tyler Texas, I'm not to far. I live in Irving TX, right next to Dallas.

Please get back to me on this item. I would LOVE to not have to pay the retail proce of $1,300!!!

Thank you,
Brittney Fowler
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: This sounds fishy to me...An ebay member as of 3/27/06
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 27, 2006 04:21PM
So.. did she win your auction?
Or is she trying to make an "off-eBay" deal?

If she's trying to buy WITHOUT winning the auction, FORGET IT.
You lose what little protection you have through eBay and PayPal if you sell it outright to someone who spots it on eBay without going through the formal auction or buy-it-now process.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 27, 2006 04:25PM
Umm, link to ebay item that's being sold?
Date: March 27, 2006 04:26PM
I don't know if she is planning on bidding or not. I stated bidders had to have good feedback...but she just signed up today??? I know you have to begin somewhere but..sounded fishy when I saw she just signed up.
Posted by: 3d
Date: March 27, 2006 04:35PM
Alot of people have no need for eBay. They are just casual browsers. Then they see something that they just MUST have, sign-up and bid away. From her eMail, she seems legit. An eager, positive, conversational eMail is a good sign.

If you prefer buyers with good feedback only, that's your preference. And you are 100% entitled to it. Inform her that you are not comfortable selling a $500+ laptop to a zero-feedback buyer. It's understandable.

She mentions that she lives close by. Why would she mention this if she's not open to possibly doing a "cash and carry"? Maybe, if after the auction there are no bidders. Do a cash and carry with the buyer in a public place? I do this on Craigslist all the time.
Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: March 27, 2006 04:46PM
Irving to Tyler isn't close, but it isn't that far either. 1-2 hours depending on traffic in the DFW areas.

She is probably legit, but I would email her and tell her she will have to jump through some extra hoops since she is a new bidder with no feedback.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 27, 2006 05:07PM
just tell her b/c of her 0 feedback that she'll need to come pick it up with cash in hand.

Posted by: hal
Date: March 27, 2006 05:21PM
First - its REALLY BAD FORM to post someones name on the internet. REALLY bad.

She is perfectly legit and a concerned buyer. So she just joined today - lot of people just joined today and she's doing th right thing in contacting before bidding against your stated rules. Let her bid and her come and get it. Perfect deal. These newbies that decide that they want YOUR item are great for having you price go through the roof.
Posted by: grad
Date: March 27, 2006 06:43PM
She definitely needs an iBook for spellchecker.
Date: March 27, 2006 09:37PM
She never bid. Sorry I didn't notice her name was there.Did sell the iBook,tho
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 27, 2006 09:42PM
Sam, you should be able to edit your post and take her name off of there.
Posted by: karsen
Date: March 27, 2006 10:05PM
Yeah, edit her name out before I start stalking her!
Posted by: h'
Date: March 27, 2006 10:16PM
samintx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know if she is planning on bidding or not.
> I stated bidders had to have good feedback...but
> she just signed up today??? I know you have to
> begin somewhere but..sounded fishy when I saw she
> just signed up.

That would have made the initial post clear.
No reason to think she's not legit. And she proved she can read a listing and operate e-mail. She'd pass my low/no feedback bidder test. Not sure why you didn't tell her it was OK.

For the future it might be fairer to say in your listing "low or negative feedback bidders must contact me for permission to bid". Less subjective and tells you what you need to know about them.

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 68
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020