advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Hey Tom Clancy fans...
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 27, 2006 09:35PM
...what's up with this "Teeth of the Tiger" crap? I just finished it, and it was painful to read. Has TC jumped the shark? I have read about every TC book up to and not including "Red Rabbit". My wife got me this crapfest for Valentine's day, otherwise I probably would not have bought it. About 4/5 of the way through, I checked out the Amazon.com reviews and wasn't surprised to see a two-star rating with most of the reviews wondering what happened to the author who penned so many worthwhile novels.

I was a big TC fan until I read this poop. One-dimensional characters, a simplistic plot, unrealistic scenarios and repetitive repetitive repetitive. And it was also repetitive. If he used the phrase "In Ordnung" one more time I was ready to flush it down the toilet. And it was repetitive. It was as if TC is suffering from Alzheimer's. But then his editors (if he had any) must have been suffering from it too.

My favorite line, "The sun rose promptly at dawn."

WTF!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hey Tom Clancy fans...
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: March 27, 2006 09:51PM
His writing so "improved" at one point, there is no way anyone will get me to believe that the book was written by him (or not heavily co-authored without credit).

He went from techno-teller to "writer" - and I don't buy it at all.

That said, at least he kept the paperback series of books honest - with the "concept creation" and with author's credit (sometimes) for the "NetForce" and "OpCenter" books.

Haven't read Teeth yet.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 27, 2006 09:57PM
same thing happened with Cussler -- there are a few books he has "co-authored" -- which im reading as "skimmed it"

horrible repetitive statements as well -- maybe the same editor?
Date: March 27, 2006 09:57PM
Save your money, JP.

This book just ends. It is not wrapped up. Loose ends are not resolved. You read the last sentence and wonder why the last 200 or so pages are missing.

Clearly a "To Be Continued!" ending. I expect this crap from my favorite TV dramas when the next episode is seven days away*. Not from a novel. Although I am not that pissed because it is not worth waiting for the sequel anyway.

Read the Amazon reviews. They are spot-on.

*Edit: Except for Battlestar Galactica. I have to wait until November?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2006 10:03PM by Lux Interior.
Date: March 27, 2006 10:01PM
jdc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> same thing happened with Cussler

Seems to be a common thing for today's sucessful authors. I used to eat up Crichton novels until I hit the brick wall called "Timeline". I didn't buy "Prey" right away because of that. And after reading the reviews, I doubt I ever will.

I can't believe these are the same authors that wrote "Red Storm Rising", "Hunt for Red October", "The Andromeda Strain", "Jurassic Park" etc.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 27, 2006 10:37PM
I'm another BIG Tom Clancy fan...

Teeth of the Tiger and Red Rabbit were COMPLETE wastes of time... If you like his books, honestly, don't even bother. Red Rabbit was the worst of the two in my opinion. You can see EVERYTHING coming, in excruciating detail, from page 1, and are left with feeling "That's IT.. that's what I wasted my time reading?".

My theory;
He signed a "x number of books in x years" deal, and ended up with writers block.. not being able to do another well research and meticulously written plot-line... he churned out this trash.

I'm HOPING he'll take a couple years off, then get back in the groove and give us something like "Without Remorse"... his finest work next to Hunt for Red October, in my opinion.

In fact, I think in stead of this dead end direction of Jack's kid... I think he should revisit "Clark" in some of his 1970's cold war adventures... Like Iran (which was mentioned a couple times that he was there in '79).

I'll re-read Red Storm Rising and Sum of All Fears next time he releases a new book until I read some reviews rather than buy it on release day, like I have for all of his books since "Clear and Present Danger".

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: spearmint
Date: March 27, 2006 10:50PM
I have Red Rabbit in my pile of unread books. Looks like the pile just got a little smaller on the basis of these reviews.

Da Good Life
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: March 27, 2006 11:08PM
Add me to the list of ticked off Clancy fans, and I've got a first edition Naval Institute Press of The Hunt For Red October. :>) It's gone downhill so bad I'm basically not buying anything from him again till I see an overwhelming amount of good reviews.

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 27, 2006 11:10PM
bfd has not bought one of "his" books since then. He sold out.

James Patterson appears to have done the same thing.… the result? P.U.

But hey, it worked for Carlos Santana …
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 28, 2006 01:56AM
I'm a big fan of Clancey, and am disappointed as well.

His Jack Ryan and John Clark books were fantastic, but I've yet to pick up my copy of The Bear and the Dragon" fearing that I'll hate it.

{i]The Hunt...
was my first and probably on of my favorite Clancy books.

Two for two, I'm good now.

We are a government of laws, not men.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: IronMac
Date: March 28, 2006 05:54AM
I loved "Red Storm Rising" but Clancy lost me in the late 90s when he started those OpCenter books. Red Rabbit sealed his fate as far as I'm concerned.
Posted by: Pam
Date: March 28, 2006 06:31AM
I think the end of the cold war really hurt the spy novel genre. I loved Clancy, Ludlum, et. al. but you just can't find those types of novels anymore. Well ones that are really good anyway. I don't know if terrorism can really substitute for our cold war enemies.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: March 28, 2006 07:06AM

Without Remorse and Clark in particular, - those books were so well written, with relationships between characters that suddenly become family, etc., they don't fit his normal style of writing.

He went from overkill (for many, not me) on the technical detail, to a real story teller.

The last GREAT one that I recall reading was the presidential speech with the laser guided bomb that Clark was targeting the Islamic whackos - on TV, just as they are watching it and can't get out of the building fast enough.

That was an excellent book with unexpected twists that were well thought out. Too bad I can't remember which title it was (was that Remorse?) - I'd read it again.
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: March 28, 2006 07:53AM
I agree that Without Remorse was probably his best book, wasn't it also his first?

(It just wasn't published until much later?)
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 28, 2006 08:11AM
MGS;

I think you're right..
He either wrote, or at least seriously outlined, Without Remorse first, but never submitted it for publishing until after he'd written the others.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: sscutchen
Date: March 28, 2006 10:07AM
Add me to the list, too.

I've got evwerything in hardback (his books only, not the co-authored crap). One of just a few authors for which I've done that.

Red Rabbit was so bad. I kept waiting for the suspense to kick in. It was like a looong painful "what I did for my summer vacation" book report. Then Teeth came out and it was just as bad if not worse.

I think he jumped the shark when he lost his antagonist; the USSR. Or maybe when he didn't need the money anymore...

Don't ask who the bell's for, dude. It's you.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 28, 2006 07:59PM
sscutchen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've got evwerything in hardback (his books only,
> not the co-authored crap). One of just a few
> authors for which I've done that.

Me too, with a twist -- I picked them up for $1 each at my goddaughter's church's annual book sale fundraiser. Got the entire Clancy library (up to The Bear and the Dragon) in hardcover editions (excellent condition, BTW) for just over $10. Now THAT'S a deal!

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 68
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020