advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How can I get a myspace.com page removed?
Posted by: BLeonard
Date: March 28, 2006 12:20PM
I have a problem with students creating myspace.com accounts posing as teachers. They post the teachers picture and name and lot's of offensive information as if it came from them.

Does anyone have an email address for the folks at myspace? We block the site within the district so I can't log-in to myspace to email from within the system. (In fact we use DNS to redirect it to a Barney the Dinosaur site).

Student's can easily do this from home. It would be nice if we could track them down too.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How can I get a myspace.com page removed?
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: March 28, 2006 12:23PM
myspace is just too cool isn't it?

Posted by: 3d
Date: March 28, 2006 12:23PM
Ohman, that's just FOUL. Kids these days...
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 28, 2006 12:30PM
I'd suggest you tell the kids' parents, but there's a part of me that figures it would fall on deaf ears.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 28, 2006 12:30PM
Yes, I've heard of many abuses of this sort using myspace.

Here's what I found on the site about it:

Q. How do we remove a teacher/faculty member's false profile?

A. Please email the web address of the profile to MySpace.com through this form. We will not honor any other non-related requests through this form. Please only contact us through the link if this is in regards to a school related issue.

And here's the link that it points to (you obviously won't be able to get to it, if you've blocked myspace.com): [collect.myspace.com]

... methinks this is a good way for myspace to get sued -- they are intentionally making it difficult to remove a profile which is obviously false, which amounts to encouraging fraud and libel.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2006 12:31PM by PeterB.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 28, 2006 12:31PM
kids will be kids, ignore it.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 28, 2006 12:41PM
I never hear about myspace.com (naturally, since I have no kids) excepting for stuff like this or articles in the media about various problems, some of which sound pretty serious. It sounds like a total pain in the ass, frankly.
Date: March 28, 2006 12:47PM
$tevie, I once heard someone joke that myspace.com is for three classes of people:

1) Musicians

2) Children and teenagers

3) Pedophiles

That pretty much sums it up.

Posted by: Guitarman
Date: March 28, 2006 12:50PM
For some reason, the entire music biz is on there, even label execs.

Posted by: incognegro
Date: March 28, 2006 01:06PM
[www.myspace.com]

nice one...

Posted by: TLB
Date: March 28, 2006 01:08PM
PeterB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> $tevie, I once heard someone joke that myspace.com
> is for three classes of people:
>
> 1) Musicians
>
> 2) Children and teenagers
>
> 3) Pedophiles
>
> That pretty much sums it up.

Local constables just did a sting and I think every one of the guys caught were trolling on myspace. If you can't keep your kids off the site, make sure personal information and pictures aren't posted.
Posted by: BLeonard
Date: March 28, 2006 01:10PM
Again... I can't get to myspace from within the district to even contact them.

They apparently have no email address outside of from within their system?
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: March 28, 2006 01:19PM
Guitarman Wrote:
> For some reason, the entire music biz is on there,
> even label execs.
>
>

Should feel right at home among the pedophiles.

That's mean of me.

I should apologize.

To the pedophiles.
Posted by: trisho.
Date: March 28, 2006 01:25PM
The Onion, the psychics they are, always at the top of their game...Pedophile Less Interested The More He Views 13-Year-Old's MySpace Profile

EDIT:
You know, a friend and I were talking about the difference between MySpace and Friendster this weekend. I was telling him how many cock photo/shirtless in the mirror photos I get messaged on MySpace versus Friendster. He was saying there seems to be a different caliber over at Friendster, like there's some sort of sociological filter inherent over there. To which I replied, "MySpace is like Craig's List personified with pictures. It's every joker with access to the internet on there". I think it's also because they allow minors on there. If Friendster does too, please correct me. I'm sorry if it sounds elitist, but this article doesn't really disprove the points either...

MySpace used to track down rape and robbery suspects
BOULDER, Colorado (AP) -- Detectives used profiles posted on the MySpace social networking Web site to identify six suspects in a rape and robbery that began when a party turned violent, leaving blood "in almost every room of the house," officials said.
Saturday, March 25, 2006; Posted: 3:22 p.m. EST (20:22 GMT)

Six men were arrested in connection with the February 23 rampage, and a seventh suspect was being sought, Detective Ali Bartley said Friday.

The victim, whose name was withheld, became acquainted with the suspects through MySpace, authorities said.

The group met for a party. "At some point, the victim was no longer aware of what was happening, and she was sexually assaulted," Bartley said.

She knew only their first names but their pictures were posted on MySpace.

"Primarily, we pulled up her friends list. It helped us identify some of the players," said Bartley.

The men face charges ranging from sexual assault to felony theft. Some $40,000 in electronics, jewelry, clothing and other items were taken, authorities said. About $13,000 worth of stolen goods have been recovered.

"There was blood in almost every room of the house," she said. "There were broken pictures and statues. They stole stereo equipment. The media center was bare."

Nicolas Brison, 18, was charged with rape. The five other men ranged in age from 18 to 20. They were charged on March 7 and hearings are set for April 6.

MySpace drew 28 million visitors in December.

[www.cnn.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2006 01:27PM by trisho..
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: March 28, 2006 01:40PM
About two months ago CollegeHumor.com had a link to a coworkers daughters myspace page, tons of pictures of her in her unmentionables, smoking, kissing boys at parties, drinking beer. She has stopped talking about her "Saintly Daughter" who only went out of the house to go to bible study groups. She is only sixteen, one of our college interns recognized the daughter when she came to pick up her mom.
Funny thing about the woman, she used to slam a fellow coworker of having draconian rules pertaining to her teenage boy and girl, she accused her of not trusting her kids, and how her and daughter had an open and honest "christian" relationship.

BGnR
Supposedly "Draconian Rules".:
All new friends must come over for a dinner, lunch, or BBQ.
Having to know the parents of her friends.
Curfew, 9 P.M. on school nights, 11 P.M. on weekends.
All homework must be done before dinner.
Kids are responsible for setting the table, and washing the dishes.
After 13, the kids are responsible for planning, and cooking two dinners a month. (I think this is really cool, both kids are great cooks, been learning to cook since they were about four).
Contact numbers of all their friends parents.
Computer is in the family room.
Rooms must be kept neat, lived in, but neat.
Starting at 13, kids must do their own laundry.
Date: March 28, 2006 01:45PM

The Ed Sullivan show refuses to film MySpace below the waist.
Posted by: LaserKun
Date: March 28, 2006 01:49PM
As a parent, all I have to say is (and I quote myself), "Huh?"
Date: March 28, 2006 02:04PM
MySpace once said the "F" word during a live broadcast of Bill Grundy's programme on Thames Television.
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: March 28, 2006 02:43PM
I just don't get the myspace obsession. I'm just too old and crochety. Our library has blocked the site because of local middle schoolers were posting photos of themselves in states of undress on it.
Date: March 28, 2006 02:45PM
nice ones, seacrest.

here's some info for BLeonard:

Contacting the Web Site

If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of this site, or your dealings with this Web site, please contact us at: privacy@myspace.com (1223 Wilshire Blvd. #402, Santa Monica, CA 90403-5400)

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 28, 2006 02:50PM
BLeonard;

I would call your County Office of Edu..or whatever organization is providing your internet filtering, and see if they will grant you a "peephole" to a specific IP address on your network that CAN access MySpace.com for monitoring and reporting purposes.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: March 28, 2006 02:59PM
BLeonard, the only email addresses I see are these:

privacy@myspace.com
copyrightagent@myspace.com

And here is their address:

1223 Wilshire Blvd. #402
Santa Monica, CA 90403-5400

... curiously, this seems to be an apartment building address? I was trying to hunt for a phone number, but couldn't find one.

LaserKun, as a parent, I suggest you check the activities of your children online. I myself went on that site to look up some old students of mine, and was shocked when I found revealing pictures of them in their underwear or half-naked, in provocative poses, etc. You'd think people would have more sense, but they don't... privacy seems to be a lost concept.

Edit: incog beat me to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2006 02:59PM by PeterB.
Date: March 28, 2006 03:03PM
PeterB Wrote:

> ... curiously, this seems to be an apartment building address?
>

Yes, because big Wilshire Blvd office buildings wouldn't have suites. winking smiley
Date: March 28, 2006 03:22PM
Seacrest, my comment was based on that when I do a reverse address search on that street address, I end up pulling up private individuals... so I didn't think it was an office building, unless people are living in suites inside an office building, which seems unlikely...

Date: March 28, 2006 03:41PM
Well, then, I guess even though the company was sold to Fox for half-a-billion $$ it's apparently still being run out of the founder's bedroom.

And to be honest, it looks it.

Date: March 28, 2006 04:03PM
myspace profiles 2006 = AOL homepages 1995

UGH

Date: March 28, 2006 04:16PM
MySpace kissed AOL Homepages FULL ON THE LIPS on national television during an awards show.
They were both "dressed in white."

Scandalous.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 28, 2006 04:49PM
trisho. Wrote:
> The Onion, the psychics they are, always at the
> top of their game...Pedophile Less Interested The
> More He Views 13-Year-Old's MySpace Profile

"Also, one of her friends left a recent comment accusing her of being a 'big-mouth who likes to spread rumors,'" Sanderson added. "I can't tell you how big a turnoff that is for me." grinning smiley
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 28, 2006 05:06PM
If MySpace made it easy for people to delete accounts, then anyone could conceivably concoct a scenario in which they can have anyone else's account deleted. It should be hard to do so.

Bringing a computer in the house is not unlike bringing a chainsaw into the house. I don't know why parents don't monitor their child's usage? The surfing computer should be in the main family space. The other computers should not have internet access unless they plug into the main family space. I don't believe that there are really that many more perverts than before (I think it is actually fewer), but there are now so many more ways to abuse us.

I also think kids are in some ways more naive than I was as a young-un, but in other ways, much more sophisticated. They are clearly more sexually sophisticated. There are fewer teen pregnancies nowadays for example. They may seem looser, but they (the girls) are more aware of their bodies and the dangerous consequences of unrestricted sexuality. They will get into dope and alcohol more easily. And there is an undercurrent of hostility and tension in their lives that we didn't have as much of. In my community (Oakland) for example, the joy of the simple house party is a thing of the past. These kids can no longer gather en masse, without huffing and puffing at one another. They will murder each other over virtually NOTHING.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2006 05:07PM by vision63.
Date: March 28, 2006 05:16PM
Tamanney Pete!

[myspace.com]

(no, he is not ours.)
Posted by: john-o
Date: March 28, 2006 05:36PM
I simply don't get the hullabaloo about MySpace. It's really just a microcosm of the entire internet. In other words, the things that are happening there, could happen anywhere on the internet, and do! The real lessons are ones of educating your children, if not the rest of the world, about smart, safe practices on the 'net. Both my daughters have MySpace pages, which I monitor, and they've been taught the safe way to "live" on the 'net.

I really think the big stink is misplaced. It needs be more widely focused, or people are just not going to get the true nature of the problem. IMHO.
Posted by: trisho.
Date: March 28, 2006 06:43PM
I think you're spot on john-o to a certain extent. I think the recent publicity about all the perils of MySpace are kind of misdirected but understandable. It's almost getting the bad turns because everyone is on there and real life happens. It's kind of sense of, a square is a rectangle but not every rectangle is necessarily a square. When you have several million users and real life is happening, of course some of those several million will get murdered, molested or raped because it would have statistically happened anyway. I guess it's just worse because some of this happens due to lack of common sense + MySpace/anonymous stranger = fatal federal offense.
Date: March 28, 2006 09:46PM
MySpace has been observed smoking marijuana cigarettes with Negro jazz musicians.
Oh the shame she brings on her family.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 28, 2006 11:08PM
This from my grainy memory...I do believe that a friend once told me that Myspace.com, in its origins, was pretty much a place where bands made pages and posted music files, announced shows etc.

My grainy memory has been caused by the pop of a snare drum in my ear for twenty or so years so i could be wrong in recolllection of this memory.

I have a myspace identity that I made so that I could get approved as friends of all my kid's friends...my kids too. Now I post comments on those pages and try to become "the guy their age" who has some sense. haha...they all post comments on my page too.

Im on Xanga doing the same thing. I know a lot about alot of these kids. I dont use it against them or judge them in any way...It is the old, "it takes a village to raise a child" At least from my point of view. i can guage the goings on etc.

I have never tricked on these kids...and there are literally hundreds of them. I have, however, made pointed comments in an obtuse sort of a way while in some of these kid's presence...it always gets a hiccup of silence. Im sure Im not the only parent doing this.

I know for a fact that the things my kids and their friends are up to doesn't compare in any way to the downright dangerous and reckless crap that I was up to as piss filled city boy of about 11 through 20 years old. I take a little bit of comfort in that.

The fake teacher page thing is a pretty sick example of the abuse of this sort of medium.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2006 11:14PM by Kraniac.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 180
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020