[www.testfreaks.com]

My music blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mini 9 OS X Install without having to use DVD drive or USB stick
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: May 05, 2009 09:39PM

NOW they tell me. winking smiley

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: May 05, 2009 09:46PM
Great tutorial, but the whole idea is to have a cheap MacbookMini. Buying the Runcore SSD sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? I bought my Mini 9 at the outlet store with a 32gb SSD and 1.3mp camera for $259. Even if I was able to get a cheap 8gb $199 Mini I would still have to add $120 for a Runcore. Now I'm up to $320. No longer a cheap netbook, is it? By the way, that $199 Mini comes without a camera. I was lucky getting my bargain. You usually can't get a Mini with a good camera for less than $229. Hey, but I'm happy with my stock Dell SSD. It hasn't been slow for me. All I do with it is surf, email and write. You don't need speed for that.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: May 05, 2009 09:58PM
I paid $162 for a refurb using a coupon. I spent $27 for RAM (you can find it cheaper) and $127 for the 32 GB RunCore SSD. That's a total of $316. I had a retail Leopard DVD but if you didn't, you would have to ad that to the equation.

For that price you get an extremely usable netbook.

Finding a refurb with a 32GB SSD and a 1.3MP camera is like finding a needle in a haystack. You're lucky.

Me...I like to upgrade so I wasn't pinching every penny.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: richorlin
Date: May 05, 2009 10:31PM
MacArtist
Finding a refurb with a 32GB SSD and a 1.3MP camera is like finding a needle in a haystack.
Very lucky. It took me almost a week each to find the three that I eventually bought. All 32gb SSD with 1.3mp cameras. One even had BT. They cost $329(the one with BT), $259 and $309
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 05, 2009 10:53PM
Mine was $235 for the Mini, 4GB, 1.3mb Camera plus $20 for a 2GB stick plus $45 for the 16GB Super Talent. So $300 even for the hardware. Plus another $79 for the Leopard DVD off ebay.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 05, 2009 11:07PM
MacArtist
I paid $162 for a refurb using a coupon. I spent $27 for RAM (you can find it cheaper) and $127 for the 32 GB RunCore SSD. That's a total of $316. I had a retail Leopard DVD but if you didn't, you would have to ad that to the equation.

For that price you get an extremely usable netbook.

Finding a refurb with a 32GB SSD and a 1.3MP camera is like finding a needle in a haystack. You're lucky.

Me...I like to upgrade so I wasn't pinching every penny.

actually, you do need to add the Mac OS cost into the equation. One license, one machine. Now, if your retail disk was purchased with a 5 seat family license, and you used 4 or less, then it is a bargain, and the way to go.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 06, 2009 03:24AM
One of these days I'll join the cult! ;)
Posted by: Dakota
Date: May 06, 2009 09:13AM
Racer X

actually, you do need to add the Mac OS cost into the equation. One license, one machine.

Isn't the number of licenses a moot point once you are installing the OS on a Dell? I'd like someone to explain away this clause,

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. Single Use. This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2009 09:13AM by Dakota.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: May 06, 2009 09:19AM
Dakota
Racer X

actually, you do need to add the Mac OS cost into the equation. One license, one machine.

Isn't the number of licenses a moot point once you are installing the OS on a Dell? I'd like someone to explain away this clause,

A. Single Use. This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so.

Amen! I'm so sick of this whole argument regarding this issue. Like you said, it doesn't matter whether you have a retail Leopard DVD that has or has not ever been installed on other machines...just the fact that you're installing it on a non-Apple machine seems to make any other justification a moot point.
Posted by: Janit
Date: May 06, 2009 09:28AM
Dakota

If you put an Apple decal over the word "Dell" on the cover, does this change the Mini 9 to an "Apple-labeled computer?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2009 09:31AM by Janit.
Date: May 06, 2009 09:36AM
Janit
If you put an Apple decal over the word "Dell" on the cover, does this change the Mini 9 to an "Apple-labeled computer?"

That's what it says.

It doesn't say Apple manufactured. Apple Officially Stamped. Apple Genuine™.

Just Apple Labeled.

Place an Apple Decal over the Dell logo and you are covered.

Case closed.

(1828-1910)

Posted by: Wailer
Date: May 06, 2009 10:15AM
It makes a HUGE difference.

Installing an unauthorized copy is theft. A criminal violation with the possibility of prison.

Installing a copy that you have the license for but do not use in accordance with the terms and conditions is simply breach of contract. Civil violation with no possibility of prison.

The first one is definitely deemed immoral. The 2nd one may or may not be immoral but it definitely isn't criminal. If you by a CD and rip it to an mp3 for your own use, that violates most terms and conditions that you agreed to when you bought the license (ie, the CD). It hardly constitutes a criminal act and may or may not be immoral. However, if you sell your license (ie, the CD) and you continue to listen to your ripped mp3, that is a theft, which is criminal and, by societal standards, deemed immoral.

We've all breached contracts. Canceled your cell phone contract early? Returned a library book late? Checked out of a hotel past the checkout time? Most contracts have provisions for them, but they are still breaches. Most of us have probably done criminal things as well. Exceeded the speed limit? Used someone else's private wifi connection w/o their consent? Taken a leak on a deserted highway? Spanked your kid?
Posted by: DRR
Date: May 06, 2009 10:32AM
"Apple labeled" means a computer labeled by Apple, the company, not any machine that has the word "Apple" written on it.

I highly doubt that the "sticker defense" would hold up in any courtroom. I also doubt that Apple's highly paid lawyers haven't thought of this and closed it if they weren't comfortable with their legal protection.

Do whatever you want to do. But you all know that you're violating the spirit of the agreement, even if there's a gray area in the letter of the agreement. I don't think anyone who's installed OS X on a hackintosh thought that the act was ok by Apple. I'm not judging. Just don't try to fool yourselves.
Posted by: Dakota
Date: May 06, 2009 10:32AM
So if I have spanked my kid I can install Leopard on a Dell. I am good to go now. Phew!
Posted by: thermarest
Date: May 06, 2009 10:58AM
Wailer
Installing an unauthorized copy is theft. A criminal violation with the possibility of prison.

I can see how this could be construed as *theft* by many, but legally speaking its just not true. It is copyright infringement not theft and it is not a criminal offense.

A few weeks ago when a movie was leaked pre-release (was it Wolverine?), this came up in the news. Apparently leaking unreleased material IS a crime.
Posted by: Wailer
Date: May 06, 2009 11:01AM
There is no doubt in my mind that that installing Leopard on a Dell mini 9 is a clear violation of the terms and conditions of the license agreement.

However, I also rip my CDs and make backups of my DVDs, which is also a clear violation of the T&C of the license agreement. Do I have multiple copies? Yes. Do I sell any or distribute these? No.

I think I'm exercising my fair use rights the same way that when I'm done with a book I give it to a friend to read. Same with installing Leopard on a Dell Mini 9. I believe it is within the fair use rights of the license agreement. If Apple, Sony or BMG sues me for breaching the contract and wins, I'll pay whatever a court constitutes as their compensatory damages by my action. In reality, the most they could be awarded is a cease-and-desist, ie uninstall.

Apple is fully entitled to cripple any version of Mac OS on a non-apple computer and I'd have no issue as I think they have the right to protect their brand. I fully expect them to do this in the future. Apple has worked hard to control both the hardware and OS so that they could ensure control of the user experience.
Date: May 06, 2009 12:08PM
We've gone round and round over this.

I'm not fooling myself about installing OS X on a Mini 9 or that placing a decal on a Mini 9 takes all the badness away.

If you want to think that putting OS X is an unconscionable offense. Fine. I don't.

I've spent over $25,000 on Apple labeled equipment over the last 13 years. I used a Retail DVD to put OS X on my Mini 9. I've got a drop in copy of Leopard for my Mac Pro. My MacBook came with 10.5.4. I've got Apple authorized upgrade copies for the two G5s I have running Leopard.

I really don't think I am causing harm to Apple Inc.

If you want to disagree; that's your prerogative. I couldn't care less.

(1828-1910)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2009 12:09PM by MacArtist.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020