advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Looking for some solid folding chairs for camping
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 05, 2009 11:41PM
I've been looking around at the various different folding chairs. I need a couple to use out in the back yard and when we go camping. Being the large person that I am, I'm looking for suggestions on some well built ones. I'm not at all opposed to spending a decent amount of money for one that will last and not break quickly. I've seen a wide range of quality of chairs and it doesn't seem to necessarily correspond to pricing. I was curious if anyone here had any suggestions.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Looking for some solid folding chairs for camping
Posted by: M>B>
Date: May 06, 2009 12:03AM
I go to a lot of outdoor events and I see this type of chair often...

Full upright position, large with a attached snack table, lots of varieties this is just one.
Posted by: Pam
Date: May 06, 2009 05:06AM
^^^^ Those are the type of chairs I use for camping and the beach. Pretty much everyone carries them. The last ones I bought were extra wide. They are comfortable and pretty durable. Coleman has a bunch [www.coleman.com].
Posted by: 3d
Date: May 06, 2009 06:45AM
I would definitely get one that collapses into a "bundle shape" and fits in a sleeve with a sling. The one shown above only folds flat. I guess it depends on your definition of camping. If you drive into the woods and walk a few hundred feet away from the car to set up camp then weight and size/shape won't matter too much.

There's nothing like a nice comfy folding chair by the campfire after a hike while every else has to sit on the ground and lean on logs and trees smiling smiley
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: May 06, 2009 09:05AM
Being a big guy myself, I recommend looking into the folding chair pictured above.
Much more substantial. The "sling" style chairs have a pretty low weight limit, if you read the tags on the chair.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 06, 2009 09:22AM
C(-)ris,

Chairs?!??!?!? For camping?!?!?!?!? When I was growing up, we sat on stumps, logs, big rocks or the ground! Only the wussies had chairs! And, they paid a price for it because they had to lug them the entire hike! 'course, this was out in the woods camping and car camping. smiling smiley

Seriously, though, you have to gauge the chairs according to where you'll actually be camping and who will sit on them. If you're car camping, you'll want something that's easily stowed away and relatively lightweight for unloading. For the backyard, it's pretty much anything that you like that is suitable for one's tuchus.

Please take the size of the person using the chair into consideration. While I love the lightweight models that collapse and can be easily carried in a sling, I definitely wouldn't recommend them for larger people. I've seen them collapse and it wasn't pleasant at all. You'll want something sturdier for them.

Robert
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 06, 2009 09:28AM
>>Chairs?!??!?!? For camping?!?!?!?!?

That was my thought, but i kept it to myself!

Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 06, 2009 09:34AM
mattkime
>>Chairs?!??!?!? For camping?!?!?!?!?

That was my thought, but i kept it to myself!

camping can be a relative term. to some people roughing it means staying in a Holiday Inn Express.

If you want to fix our country, work with us in the states. statesproject.org

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Kate
Date: May 06, 2009 12:19PM
We full time in a motorhome and I would also suggest something like the one pictured. The problem with the umbrella type folding chairs is there is nothing to brace against when you stand up. While they may support you weight for sitting, getting out of them is a real PITA (they sit lower than the ones pictured). If you try to use the arms to push up, the often flip or collapse.

Most full timers agree that the flat fold is highly superior to the umbrella fold.

If you have a Costco nearby, they usually carry them for about $20-$25.

Kate
Posted by: michaelb
Date: May 06, 2009 04:22PM
Either chair type is so common it is hard to distinguish the options. Cabela's could be good though for price/quality ratio, and they offer the "big boy chair". I don't have one or anything like it, and only offer it up for possible consideration:

[www.cabelas.com]

You just have to accept getting hunting and fishing catalogs at home for next few years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2009 04:23PM by michaelb.
Posted by: Willison
Date: June 11, 2009 02:04AM
Folding chair is a light portable chair which provides excellent back support, the best selection in seating with soft comfort is better. And there many variety of Camping chairs, Folding Chair, Beach chair at reasonable rate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020