advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Safari and 10.5.7
Posted by: iaJim
Date: May 15, 2009 08:30AM
Is anyone else having problems with Safari becoming unresponsive since the 10.5.7 update? I can go to one site, but when trying to navigate to another site, it's an unending spinning ball. It's unusable on my MBP, and happens occasionally on my G5 2.5.

Anyone else? I'm using Camino right now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Safari and 10.5.7
Posted by: JoeM
Date: May 15, 2009 09:31AM
I get the same with 10.4.11 and Safari 3.2.1. I usually quit and relaunch if it is bad and that helps. Also running Onyx to clean up the system seems to help. I've wondered if it might be sites with flash but not sure.

JoeM
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: May 15, 2009 09:38AM
The delays in Safari have been getting irritating enough lately (having to refresh links that haven't come in also) that I'm thinking about using FFox more... just haven't done it YET. I'm still on .5.6
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 15, 2009 09:54AM
i know this doesnt help -- but we are good here

MB 10.5.7/Safari 3
imac 10.5.7/Safari 4

have you thought about giving 4 a try? or if you are using 4, have you thought about downgrading back to 3?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: john-o
Date: May 15, 2009 09:57AM
I assume you've cleared caches and maybe even tried tossing the .plist? Also, make sure you're running the latest version of things like the Flash plugin. It's up to version 10 now. I'm also very pleased with the ClickToFlash plug-in (blocks Flash animations in Safari until you choose to view them, allows whitelisting too).

Post back if you figure it out...
I'm good with Safari 4 and 10.7.5
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 15, 2009 11:01AM
...and of course 10.5.7 as well.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 15, 2009 11:11AM
I'm using Safari 3.2.3. I'll try a couple of the suggestions. Thanks.
Date: May 15, 2009 11:29AM
OK, I emptied the cache an repaired permissions, and Safari is working much better.Maybe not as fast as Camino, but OK.

Thanks!
Posted by: JoeM
Date: May 15, 2009 11:46AM
john-o
I assume you've cleared caches and maybe even tried tossing the .plist? Also, make sure you're running the latest version of things like the Flash plugin. It's up to version 10 now. I'm also very pleased with the ClickToFlash plug-in (blocks Flash animations in Safari until you choose to view them, allows whitelisting too).

Post back if you figure it out...

Problem is some sites are actually made with Flash as well as some functionality that is used in some sites. So yes, you block Flash animations but you are stuck if you need a site that is build on Flash or uses Flash functionality. And that is, of course, if Flash actually is the culprit.

JoeM
Posted by: john-o
Date: May 15, 2009 11:58AM
But the beauty of the Click to Flash plug-in, as I said Joe, is that it has whitelisting built-in. So, you come across a site that requires it, and you simply right-click on the blocked content and choose "whitelist xxxxx.com" (or some such language)... Works fine from then on! If you later decide you want to block flash from that domain again, the whitelist can be edited.

No problem there!
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: May 15, 2009 12:23PM
The FLASH plug-in is part of that new 10.5.7 security update.

In fact, despite the news reports ----- the majority of those issues are either outside
the OS, or are corrections to Apache and other aspects of the OpenSource side of the
OS -- found by both security experts and Apple itself.

The "maliciously crafty" little bastids have been out-crafted before they could craft!!

(if you don't get that reference... you need to read the details of the 10.5.7 security updates)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 15, 2009 11:44PM
Happily using Tiger.4.11

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: guitarist
Date: May 16, 2009 03:26AM
iaJim, I'm having the opposite issue, Safari works much faster since the update!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020