advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Cleaning a Bath Tub / Tub Surround (Plastic?)
Posted by: spacescape
Date: May 16, 2009 09:42AM
I have a Sterling Tub and shower wall insert. I noticed at the bottom of the tub I have "Buildup" that I cannot seem to "get clean". I'm about ready to paint the bathroom and would like to give the tub/walls/shower doors a very good cleaning and a good caulking "before" I paint. Does anyone know of any good ways to clean this material without removing the finish. I do have a "glaze" to put on "after" it's good and clean.

Any suggestions? If I knew what I knew now I'd probably of installed a porcelain tub and installed tile and used a shower curtain.... However, that isn't an option now. smiling smiley

Thanks.
Bill
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cleaning a Bath Tub / Tub Surround (Plastic?)
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: May 16, 2009 09:53AM
What have you tried so far? I have an acrylic shower stall, and it has in the past gotten a build up at the bottom. I've used Shower Power and one of those scrubber sponges specifically designed to not scratch Teflon coated cookware. I do let the Shower Power sit on it for a few minutes (not too long or it dries.)
Date: May 16, 2009 09:59AM
Scrubbing Bubbles, Very diluted soft scrub and a sponge, vinegar/water and a few other things. Soft Scrub "IS" a bad idea so I only used it on the but "very deluded" but still a bad idea.

Here are some tips but I might have to try and find "shower power" and a scrubber sponge safe for teflon. WD40 sounds like a good one to try but NOT FOR THE ENVIRONMENT!!!

[www.thriftyfun.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2009 10:33AM by spacescape.
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: May 16, 2009 10:24AM
[www.tilex.com]
Date: May 16, 2009 10:30AM
Avoid the temptation of the Magic Eraser! I'm sure it would work, but it will also damage the surface.

BTW, I think the word you intended to use was "diluted" - as in watered down?
Date: May 16, 2009 10:32AM
AlphaDog
Avoid the temptation of the Magic Eraser! I'm sure it would work, but it will also damage the surface.

BTW, I think the word you intended to use was "diluted" - as in watered down?

Yikes... Yes I did.

I agree with NOT using magic Eraser.
Posted by: billb
Date: May 16, 2009 10:54AM
tooth paste
baking soda

tooth paste and baking soda and a sponge.

tooth paste without grit is safer.

a paste made of salt, and bodily fluid (preferrably spit, but hey it is your bathroom and you are entertaining yourself here, ) actually works to get rid of blood stains on acrylic.
several bleach rinses and a soap lathering won't hurt to help foil luminol testing
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 16, 2009 11:27AM
I too use Scrubbing Bubbles.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: May 16, 2009 10:07PM
Kaboom soft scrub
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 17, 2009 05:39AM
We've (actually my wife) tried it all. Nothing would get it completely clean until she tried the Magic Eraser. It comes out sparkling. I was/am concerned about damage, so we made a deal that she wouldn't use it too often. We now daily spray the acrylic tub/shower with a Tilex daily spray thing (my job since I want her to not use the Magic Eraser too often). This seems to do a pretty good job of keeping it relatively clean. When it starts to get dirty, she uses some sort of a spray thing that bubbles. When that doesn't do, out comes the Magic Eraser. She uses that maybe twice or three times a year. We've been doing that for 4 years or so and I haven't found any damage to the surface. And, my wife has stopped complaining about a dirty shower. We'll keep using it.
Date: May 18, 2009 07:40AM
Does Kaboom soft scrub smell good? Last night I ended up trying "Zep Soap Scum Remover" and couldn't handle the smell. So, taking it back today (used 1-2 squirts). I ended up using a little bit of WD-40 on the CORNERS of the tub (on an old sponge and wiped it out with a paper towel) and it broke down the filth I was trying to get off. Then I cleaned it 2-3 times w/ Soft Scrub diluted on a sponge... Then I sprayed it down with Scrubbing Bubbles.

Looks BRAND NEWish. I'm going to clean it again in less than two weeks with soft scrub and scrubbing bubbles and then dry it really good and then apply the polish/wax the bathroom place sold us to allow the water to "roll" off the walls. After I'm done polishing it I'll need to use something much less harsh because I don't want the polish to wear off.

There has to be an easier way and something much better for the environment (baking soda and water / vinegar and water).

Now I just need to figure out "HOW" to get the rubber seal between the glass and aluminum frame on our shower doors clean and I'll be in business.
Date: May 18, 2009 11:04AM
If you'd get in the habit of giving the walls and floor a quick wipe with an old towel every day, you wouldn't have to worry about it at all. smiling smiley
Date: May 18, 2009 11:13AM
AlphaDog
If you'd get in the habit of giving the walls and floor a quick wipe with an old towel every day, you wouldn't have to worry about it at all. smiling smiley

+1

Time to buy another squeegee and a small shammy. smiling smiley
Posted by: decocritter
Date: May 18, 2009 04:19PM
If you use an old wash cloth - wet wrung out, pour a little straight BLUE ORIGINAL DAWN dishwashing detergent around the tub and surround. Scrub in, leave on until just before it dries, then wash off with hot water.

If you clean this way twice a week it will not build up. Don't use bar or waxy soaps and shampoos.

Dawn is a good cleaner on sinks, tubs, toilet, if you don't let it go.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020