advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Vinyl to digital conversion, was wondering on thought of what to charge?
Posted by: Monster
Date: June 02, 2009 03:02PM
all of a sudden I have several people that want me to transfer their records to digital for them, I make one little mention on another forum about doing this for a poster and now I have people coming out of the woodwork wanting to hire me to transfer their records.

I have the hardware and software, but was wondering if anyone else does this and what you might charge, taking into account maybe having to clean the records, cleaning up the audio, the time, etc...

If you have any particular service on the web that does this feel free to drop a link, and yes, I'm googling.

TIA

The Taoist Zhuangzi said, "Good order results spontaneously when things are let alone".
The sociologist, and historian, Adam Ferguson described the phenomenon of spontaneous order in society as the "result of human action, but not the execution of any human design".
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Vinyl to digital conversion, was wondering on thought of what to charge?
Posted by: davester
Date: June 02, 2009 03:13PM
I hope these are rare out of print records. Otherwise it is pretty much never cost-effective to transfer rather than to simply buy new copies.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: June 02, 2009 03:15PM
davester
I hope these are rare out of print records. Otherwise it is pretty much never cost-effective to transfer rather than to simply buy new copies.

It's more cost-effective to do a lot of things.
But a lot of people are stupid with money.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Date: June 02, 2009 03:25PM
hey, if they want to part with their money I'm more than willing to take it, and there are a lot of people around here that seem to have more money than they know what to do with at times.

The Taoist Zhuangzi said, "Good order results spontaneously when things are let alone".
The sociologist, and historian, Adam Ferguson described the phenomenon of spontaneous order in society as the "result of human action, but not the execution of any human design".
Posted by: lazydays
Date: June 02, 2009 03:32PM
As a professional service I would think no less than $30 per record. It will take you a few minutes to really clean the record, around 40 minutes to play the record, remove the scratches, split into tracks etc. If you have the process down cold I'd say 1hr and I wouldn't do anything for less than $30/hr. Really you need to cover your personal time and the cost of the equipment so a higher price would be acceptable also.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 02, 2009 03:32PM
I say charge whatever your time is worth to you. These people obviously have more money than time, so they want you to do it for them.

I would probably setup a minimum setup fee, like $100 and then some amount per record. It really depends on how much time you have to spend to fix them up after the transfer.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 02, 2009 03:36PM
Figure it on a per hour basis. What is your time worth? Audacity will allow you to rip a 33-1/3 at 45 then convert to the correct speed electronically, but it doesn't sound very good and is probably not good for the record. If they're not your records, and the end user hasn't specified that you not do it that way, then it might help you make some extra money. Otherwise, you're left with real time transfer which definitely isn't efficient.

I read about a kid a while ago that was working on a system to optically scan records at super hi-res and use a computer to work out the sounds from the scanned image. I wonder if he ever perfected that?

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: clay
Date: June 02, 2009 03:40PM
Don't shortchange yourself. This type of project can eat up your time if you're not careful. You should specify beforehand whether you will do any cleanup (i.e. removing pops and crackles) or just a straight transfer.

I'd say $100 per LP. That could include the transfer, editing to create separate tracks if needed, and burning a CD.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: June 02, 2009 03:42PM
Typical price charged seems to be around $25 per LP without sound processing/click/pop removal. But in audio services it's always whatever your market will bare.

JoeM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2009 03:43PM by JoeM.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: June 02, 2009 03:43PM
Personally, I wouldn't count playing time in the hourly charge.
Just start recording and come back and flip to record the other side.

Make up for it by charging for the time it takes to clean up and edit the sound files, though.

I still think it's better to charge a flat fee per record, or track, or whatever. What that fee is, I have no idea.

It needs to be enough to make it worth your time, but not so much that it makes buying the track digitally more attractive. Unless people want really rare, irreplaceable stuff transferred; in which case the sky's the limit.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Date: June 02, 2009 03:59PM
Here's the price list from a local place that does it as one of their specialties:

Cassette to CD Up to 80 minutes incl. level optimization and track separation $25
Additional tapes that will fit on the same CD are $15 each

LP record to CD Up to 80 minutes $25

$10 per track or a 45 RPM record

Reel-to-reel to CD Up to 80 minutes$50

Noise reduction Audio hiss, crackle, & pop removal (per CD) $10

Sound quality enhancement and audio editing (per hour) $75

Additional CD copy $10

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: June 02, 2009 04:01PM
hmmm, go ahead and tell me I'm stupid now, but for the local forum members that have been asking me I was thinking of the following quote.

"as a rough estimate for a straight conversion to digital, with no clean up involved, no track markers, no track separation, no meta data entered, and stored on your external hard drive I'm thinking of, at an MOL User discount - $5 per album"

and of course it's not something that will be done overnight.

then perhaps $11 or $12 per album on previously cleaned/washed albums, with track separation/markers, and stored on their external drives, $17 if burned to CDs, $20 if each album is put on it's own CD and sleeve, $22 if in a jewel case.

Should I include meta data with the above ^^^ ?

then of course if I need to clean/wash the album and do the above it would add to the price.

Keep in mind that this pricing is a discount for the members on our local forum, some of them have mentioned they have 50 to 100 or more albums they want converted, I just don't think they have an idea of what it would cost to have someone do it for them.

feel free to come up with your own pricing structure, I look forward to read what you have to say.

Posted by: sekker
Date: June 02, 2009 04:05PM
I have my entire family wanting me to do this for their LP collections ever since I made the mistake of doing a very rare recording (from college marching band).

When I politely explain to them that my time is valuable and that it really is better for them to purchase their contemporary music as CDs and/or online, they really feel I am shirking my family techie responsibility.

The only collection I am working on at all is my in-law's classical LP set, of which their favorites are simply not available in CD form - and no, getting a modern recording of a particular Beethoven Symphony they've listened to for 40 years is not what they are looking for.

Personally, I think $50 per LP is more likely to be the true professional cost of doing these projects. If you want to do them as favors, etc., then you should decide how much you want to charge for your time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2009 04:06PM by sekker.
Date: June 02, 2009 04:06PM
Davester, thanks for the input, I didn't even think of reel to reel, may have to come up with one of those.

I think I like the idea of charging per CD for noise reduction too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2009 04:07PM by Monster.
Date: June 02, 2009 04:10PM
hmmm, maybe I should find a company to do this at a discounted rate for a one time bulk conversion, and then subcontract out.

Posted by: clay
Date: June 02, 2009 04:11PM
How much of this is automated (i.e. press a button and walk away?). If you have a standalone CD recorder and can hook it up to the turntable, then you can charge less. But if you have to do any hand-holding of the process (recording to computer, creating tracks, cleaning up the recording, etc), then it is a very manual process (i.e. your time). Unless you enjoy working for free or for pennies an hour, charge what you need to charge to make a little money.

The folks who advertise such services for just a few bucks an album are either handling everything in an automated system, or are doing it as a favor and selling themselves short on their charges.

Decide which route you want to take, and don't feel bad if someone doesn't want to pay it.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: June 02, 2009 04:13PM
Don't forget to factor in the cost of insurance against damages to the original medium.
Date: June 02, 2009 04:23PM
Tominator, good point, I think I'll have them sign waiver.

Posted by: decay
Date: June 02, 2009 04:32PM
figure maxium time for an LP record album, and what will fit on one CDR. 80 minutes, right?

most vinyl records ran about 22 minutes per side; you could get a whole LP on one side of a 90-minute cassette back in the analog days. some ran longer, but not many. i know i have a Beethoven album that clocks in around an hour or more, for ONE vinyl disc. i remember buying it (used on South St. in Philly, probably at Garland of Letters) & being amazed at the running time.

anyway, $25/LP sounds about right if your hourly rate matches that. you could capture the album, quickly separate the tracks & burn them to a CDR in one hour, with little or no noise reduction.

ClickRepair (shareware) does a nice job, and doesn't squash the fidelity of the album too much. You can isolate/preview just the noise that's being removed, which is a nice feature.

[wwwmaths.anu.edu.au]
[www.apple.com]
[www.versiontracker.com]

ClickRepair finds and repairs clicks and crackle in audio files obtained by capturing vinyl and shellac (78) records to digital CD format. It is not a filter; it searches the file sample-by-sample, and only changes those identified as being suspect. It is possible to operate automatically, or to intervene manually as required. Favorite detection and repair settings may be named and saved.

live capture isn't really a "walk away" kind of deal, since you have to flip the album & stop the computer from recording. you're somewhat tied to your studio, but you can multi-task during capture if you have more than one Mac.

---
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: June 02, 2009 05:02PM
Not sure what kind of gear you have but don't forget to add the cost of a new stylus every couple hundred hours of playing time, and you will also need a completely different cartridge for 78's. If you don't do this, the sound quality will suffer as well as the surface of the record your recording from.

A professional record washer is in the $500 and up range. [www.lptunes.com]

I would charge a minimum of $30 for recording a single LP.

For those that want more than 1-2 I would charge a setup fee of $100 and then an additional $10 per LP for recording.

Cleanup and duplication to CD would be additional, with a flat hourly rate of $50.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: Wailer
Date: June 02, 2009 06:05PM
Don't charge much, but DON'T do the best you can do. I wouldn't do anymore more than a cursory cleaning (read: blow on the vinyl) and forget any noise reduction work or track separation, tagging or even labeling of the CDs.

In other words, do it cheap and do it for the masses. A lot of times people can't find the music they have and the just want it on their ipod to listen in their car. We all know that car just isn't made for listening to music.

As you do more and more, you'll get better and better and know what it really entails, how much of a difference different processes make, and what you really can charge based on how many people are banging on your door; frankly, I can't see the market being huge except for all but the biggest audiophiles. And I why do they want to go digital? And if they do, your equipment won't be good enough.

If there is a market for this and new users come, then you raise your prices and invest in what you need accordingly.

$10 an LP sounds good if you enjoy doing it and your want to build some goodwill and test the market. Maybe an extra $10 if they want you to separate the tracks and burn to a CD. As long as that covers the wear and tear on your equipment, I think it's a good gesture that may go a long way. Not everything is about making money.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: June 02, 2009 06:10PM
I would offer them a special Skeet Service, where-upon you launch and shoot their records for them
and record it to video. Now THAT's digital capture - with a "Take No Prisoners!" determination!
Posted by: Sam3
Date: June 02, 2009 07:13PM
I think track separation is something that needs to be done, it really doesn't take that long and there are some programs that will do it automatically. Metadata is another issue, however. I'm actually trying to find a program to ease metadata entry, as audacity's metadata tool is horrible, one can't even cut and paste data into a field.

I actually did this process last week. I needed to create a ballroom dance mix for an event that I was helping to organize, I went out and got the ION turntable from Costco and digitized 6 albums of old out-of-print ballroom and easy listening albums that I had acquired from my dad. I separated tracks and entered metadata, exported as aiff's and then imported in to iTunes as AAC's. I did not do any pop removal or other noise cleaning. Disc cleaning was using Discwasher. The entire process took about one hour per disc.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: June 02, 2009 08:22PM
Looks like a great excuse to buy one of these:

ELP Turntable

:-)
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: June 02, 2009 08:55PM
If you do it right, on normal home equipment, you need to allocate about two hours per album. Once you set the filters and record, you need to be there to listen to the whole process and be sure you don't have any skips, etc. Then you need to set the track markers and then record to a CD. This is a very time consuming process. I know from experience.

I am sure that it would be much different with professional equipment for this type of transfer.

Have fun!

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 02, 2009 09:04PM
flareslow
Looks like a great excuse to buy one of these:

ELP Turntable

:-)

I looked at the price,,,,,ouch! cursing smiley

Date: June 02, 2009 09:35PM
thanks for all the responses everyone, I appreciate it,

another question, wasn't there a post, or a deal mentioned from that other site on a USB turntable that also came with an extra cartridge, does that sound familiar, and does anyone remember which one it was?

Posted by: decay
Date: June 02, 2009 11:20PM
do you have a working stereo with turntable? unless it's hammered, it probably sounds better than the Ion.

check your local craigslist for people dumping their turntables.

PS: i'm watching a local ebay auction for a Bang & Olufson turntable. smiling smiley

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2009 11:42PM by decay.
Date: June 03, 2009 12:42AM
yeah, I have a regular turntable, and I was thinking of looking for another one too,
I have two G4's and a beige G3 that I could take out of mothballs and use for the recording, two or three albums recording at a time should cut down a bit on the time it takes, but I'll still charge the same.

Bang & Olufson eh, good luck.

Posted by: M>B>
Date: June 03, 2009 01:13AM
I plugged my diamond cartage from my super stereo setup into my Ion turntable and got great results.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: June 03, 2009 01:37AM
Don't forget the cost of shipping the album and the CD (or whatever digital medium to which you record) back to the owner.

You could also suggest one of those $100 turntables that has a built-in CD recorder. People could do it themselves pretty economically. I don't know how well they work, or if they create individual tracks, etc., but for some people, it might suffice. You can get them at places like Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Date: June 03, 2009 07:40AM
luckily I won't need to be doing shipping, I'm not really planning on doing this much. I'm just offering it to a few local people. I pick up some extra cash, and they finally get those albums digitized, and yes, one of the first things that was brought up was that they should buy a USB turntable and give it a whack.

Posted by: Wailer
Date: June 03, 2009 10:10AM
Monster, do you think that most of these albums are rare, out-of-print or that people just think "hey, I already paid for the license once! Why should I pay again?"

Not to complicate things, but I'm not sure of the legality of transferring music from one format to another when dealing with LPs. I know the RIAA would say, "One license per format." Don't let that stop you.

Anyway, I'm just curious if people are lazy or they really can't find their music on CD. Or perhaps people like the pop and crackle and want to reproduce that on a CD?
Date: June 03, 2009 12:16PM
Wailer, from what the people on the forum have said, they have looked around for their albums on CDs or online, and they haven't been able to find them, and yes, some of them are rare. Or so they say.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 03, 2009 12:46PM
Even harder to find on CD are albums where the artist(s) involved did not stay well known enough to justify conversion to CD's. They can still be personal favorites though for the persons who own them. Not particularily rare, but just never released on CD. Or good material for which the master tapes disappeared over time. Even for popular recordings, there is a huge amount of material on LP's that was never re-released on CD's, not even on audiocassette.

Speaking of which, I have been following the various discussions on converting vinyl to CD. Partly so when I do start up working on getting a turntable and software I will have some ideas on what to look for. One of the first LP's I will be looking for from my father's collection is the Coronation Concert album by Burl Ives, never re-released on other media.

Date: June 04, 2009 11:34AM
Hey Monster, I just thought of an interesting slant on your business model. If someone asks you to convert an LP for which you can locate the digital version online, it would probably be much more profitable and would yield a higher quality product if you simply bought the digital version and sold it for the cost of the conversion. Of course that would be cheating, but the idea outlines how ludicrous paying to convert popular albums is.

Date: June 04, 2009 12:06PM
hahaha, I did think of that too, not to mention that once a copy is made if someone else has the same album....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020