advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Since when won't iTunes burn songs from Amazon? Is this true with other library rips??
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: June 07, 2009 12:29PM
I nuked and paved a week ago or so --- after 10.5.7 stalled and things went wonky (stalled on a sitting, fully downloaded update, not via Software Update!)

My machine just kept rebooting over and over.... and I said "That's enough of that...." and moved
everything I had on it to multiple drives with varying room (PIA!) and burned, baby BURNED!) and then did
the deed.

So I load the latest iTunes, bought that Dubs "Sgt Pepper" - and iTunes won't BURN IT!

I had to use Toast to burn the damned thing! I've never seen iTunes pull that kind of stunt before.
When did THIS become the norm???

What other surprises lay in store for keeping previous install discs and NEVER updating the iTunes
app, if this keeps up!?

(The burn button simply was NOT THERE ... but when I selected other stuff from a RIPPED CD -
- or iTunes stuff... the button appeared!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Since when won't iTunes burn songs from Amazon? Is this true with other library rips??
Posted by: Kramerica
Date: June 07, 2009 01:00PM
I don't know what caused it for you, but it is not the norm. My "Purchased on Amazon" playlist presents the "Burn Disc" button just like the rest.
Re: Since when won't iTunes burn songs from Amazon? Is this true with other library rips??
Posted by: iaJim
Date: June 07, 2009 02:33PM
The Dubs Sgt. Pepper burned fine for me. May be time to trash the Prefs.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: June 07, 2009 02:46PM
I don't have the Dubs album, but I bought the new U2 album when it was $4 at Amazon. I just updated to 10.5.7 and iTunes 8.2, and I can burn the U2 to a CD.
Date: June 07, 2009 04:41PM
Time to try the prefs thing.....
Posted by: kj
Date: June 07, 2009 06:30PM
I can only burn things when they are in a playlist. I swear you used to be able to burn stuff from the library, but maybe not. kj.
Date: June 07, 2009 07:10PM
You'd have a lot of checking and un-checking to do from the library!!!
Posted by: john-o
Date: June 07, 2009 11:23PM
I'll bet that was your problem... You can only burn a playlist... It would make no sense whatsoever if you could burn one playlist and not another, if all tracks came from Amazon!

Give us more details?
Posted by: guitarist
Date: June 08, 2009 02:07AM
Why did you have to suddenly kick into gear and move data to multiple drives before nuking and paving? Isn't that what your backup is for, emergencies like this? Or did you not already have a full backup?

Normally you'd have complete duplicate of the contents of your mac's boot drive, already on tap. And never break a sweat. Just curious why the emergency data transferring before reformatting.

Secondarily, are you storing a lot of media files on your boot drive? That can make backups take a lot longer. There's an advantage to storing music and video and other media files externally, keeping the boot drive pretty light, for faster backups of the main system. (if you have a ton of media files, like some of us) iTunes Library stored off boot drive is especially good.

Any luck with the failure to burn issue? I hope it didn't turn out to be Amazon related, and it was resolved.
Posted by: john-o
Date: June 08, 2009 02:24AM
Those are good tips guitarist. I don't do that now, except for my video library. My music should really not be on my boot drive...
Date: June 08, 2009 11:03AM
guitarist
Why did you have to suddenly kick into gear and move data to multiple drives before nuking and paving? Isn't that what your backup is for, emergencies like this? Or did you not already have a full backup?

Time Machine was full -- but the troubles and slow-downs were already present at 10.5.6, so I didn't want to clone or import messy prefs for networking, etc.

And I had added a lot of large files and CD rips that I don't back-up when they are my CDs, and I didn't
want to have to RIP them again -- it takes time even with a C2D -- so I had to find room to move the music, but there wasn't room for it or my photo library on any single drive because of things/partitions already
on those drives.

Essentially the answer is..... I need a pair of 1TB drives.
Date: June 08, 2009 01:26PM
I deleted all three prefs (iTunes, helper and something else -- might have been the store)
and restarted - and it required me to AGREE like it was a fresh install, and when I got to
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Dubs Band --- the BURN BuTtOn Appeared!

It was like..... a miracle, except... it wasn't one!

Thanks for the help.

Guitarist - you'll be forwarding that pair of 1TB drives, when?
Posted by: guitarist
Date: June 08, 2009 01:42PM
You have a 2TB boot drive you need to back up?!? Did you get that from OWC?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 237
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020