advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: Outsourcing to India
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 31, 2006 12:08PM
I'm not sure I should post this here or not but a friend of mind wanted to get his telephone switched because he was moving into a new house. The person at the other end was in INDIA! and it took him a huge amount of time to get across what he wanted.

I was shocked. Yes, computer companies yes and credit cards yes I know these are overseas but is everything going overseas? Will Apple outsource the "help" line to overseas? or is it now?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: Outsourcing to India
Posted by: incognegro
Date: March 31, 2006 12:09PM
Apple already has.

i think it's short-sighted and doesn't bode well for the future of American jobs.

Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: March 31, 2006 12:10PM
Everybody is doing it. And many are UNdoing outsourcing. Many hidden costs. And consumer backlash like you mention. I work with many of them and they are great folks. But, there are differences.

Read up on it and you'll find that your X-Rays are even being 'read' by a cheaper doctor/radiologist over there sometimes.

Posted by: JoeM
Date: March 31, 2006 12:19PM
I also worked with a number of Pakistani, Chinese and Indian programmers when I was working for an MPEG-4 dev firm some years back.

Very nice people but very sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.
Also weren't big on taking the ball and running with it - seems they like to work by committee, from what I saw.

Wasn't it Dell that handed off their regular slug consumer customers to India help while a biz customer got good ol' USA support? That cracked me up.

JoeM
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 31, 2006 12:25PM
I think the main issue with outsourcing has been quality. If everytime you spoke to someone in India they provided great service, nobody would be complaining.

Posted by: WHiiP
Date: March 31, 2006 12:55PM
The "intent" may be there but their English (for most of them) is NOT. I agree with Matt that it would be different IF I could UNDERSTAND them.

And with it being "over there" (wherever that may be), you know they can only read from their script. You are NOT going to get any decisions made.

.03¢

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: March 31, 2006 12:56PM
If just for once they could get my name right when harassing me for payments.

Posted by: JoeM
Date: March 31, 2006 01:58PM
Guitarman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If just for once they could get my name right when
> harassing me for payments.

Hello....Mr....San...G...man?

JoeM
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: March 31, 2006 10:29PM
If you call American Express customer service you get someone in India. It makes us a bit uneasy to give financial information and social security numbers to someone on the other side of the world where they do not have to answer to American law.

A few days back I read in the paper that Dell was doubling the number of support people in India. A while back I checked Dell.com on resellerratings.com and they had slightly less than a 5.0 out of 10 six month rating. They had a LOT of dissatisfied customer ratings because of the customer "service" provided by their Indian response center. I just checked resellerratings.com and their rating is 2.77 out of 10, pretty miserable by any standard, and again a big factor is the Indian response center. Surely Dell is aware of this problem. I guess as long as Michael is the richest man in Texas it doesn't matter to them.
Posted by: harryb2448
Date: April 01, 2006 05:24PM
It is happening all over the world.

Here in Australia Telstra, formerly Government owned and now privatised, has outsourced IT to India and if it wasn't hard enought tryiong to make Telstra help lines understand try now......

Also my ISP uses dial up help staff in South America!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020