advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Repairing iceKey Keyboard?
Posted by: IronMac
Date: March 31, 2006 02:01PM
I just came across a used iceKEY keyboard and the problem with it is that when you press down on some of the keys they either do not work or they output garbage. I suspect that someone spilt something on it.

Any ideas on whether or not this can be resolved? Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Repairing iceKey Keyboard?
Posted by: Refurbvirgin
Date: March 31, 2006 02:04PM
Unplug, rinse in hotwater, shake out, place in warm area to dry thoroughly for several days.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: March 31, 2006 02:49PM
DO NOT RINSE THIS KEYBOARD IN WATER!!!!

I have an IceKey that I spilled about 2 ounces of plain water into. I figured no big deal I'll just turn it upside down, shake out as much as I can and then set it aside for a few days to dry and it will be fine.

WRONG!

The IceKey has within it three layers of clear plastic with holes in two of the three layers and traces printed on each. Once the water seeped in between the layers it quickly dissolved many of the traces.

I tried to rebuild the traces with a silver prototyping pen but alas the space bar still puts a "T" on the screen instead of a space.

If you spill liquid in this keyboard you must tear it open without delay (no mean feat as there are about 50-75 tiny screws thathold this thing together) rinse and dry it or it will be ruined!

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

"If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion, or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein. If there are any circumstances which permit an exception, they do not now occur to us." Justice Robert Jackson
Posted by: Refurbvirgin
Date: March 31, 2006 03:21PM
My bad. I spilled cocoa on the "pro" keyboard and someone recommended the hotwater rinse. It worked fine, as it did on my Adesso Tru-Form, so I assumed it would on any keyboard. Thanks for correcting me, Ken.
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: March 31, 2006 03:56PM
I was wondering about the water thing. Next I thought someone was going to suggest running it through the dishwasher.

Posted by: IronMac
Date: March 31, 2006 04:47PM
Gee, I was leaning towards the water and dishwasher trick but I'm sure glad that Harbourmaster spoke up. Refurbvirgin, don't feel bad about the advice..lot of other online sources said the same thing. Who knew that the iceKEY used sugar as the basis of their traces? hehehe
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 31, 2006 11:36PM
Crap, I spilled a little bit of on mine two days ago and a couple hours later, two of the keys stopped working. I suppose it's dead now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 147
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020