advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
STEVEO vs. SQUIRRELs
Posted by: SteveO
Date: April 01, 2006 08:42AM
I have elevated my two bird feeders over tree branches, one via rope, one via twine. Squirrels (in your best Samuel Jackson voice: Cracker mutha!@#$%^&s!) made short work of the twine in what was a clear message to me -- they are not going to put up with my silly hominid attempts at reducing their obesity.

So Feeder 2 crashed to the ground within one hour of hanging. I'm not POSITIVE it was me, but they also burned an effigy as they gorged and danced around Feeder 2.

Feeder 1 remains up. To add insult to injury, they now gingerly, and with what can be described only as a "I farht in your general DI-rec-shun!" attitude, descend the 5' rope upside down to inhale the seed at the remaining feeder.

I'm wondering if maybe a really thin wire would prevent their descent. Anyone have experience here? I also thought of greasing the rope, then remembered that while it is Saturday morning, my life is not [a total] cartoon.

Suggestions for firearms/poison/cages/traps will be ignored. I did think about going down to my Army Surplus and getting some unexploded shells, but decided that would probably damage the tree.

Besides, my 88-year-old neighbor, Myron the Terrible (as he's known in the Squirrel World), has traps out every day for the lil' buggers. He tells me that he takes them "about four miles away" and "releases" them. Uh-huh, riiiiiight, Myron.

You should see the cap he wears. But what's really over-the-top are his boots.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: STEVEO vs. SQUIRRELs
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: April 01, 2006 09:00AM
What you need is a Yankee Flipper:

[www.cooperseeds.com]
Posted by: billb
Date: April 01, 2006 09:02AM
I've found two things that work.
If you check this image (it's big):
[homepage.mac.com]
The feeder on the left is thistle seed, which they can't be bothered with (usually)
It's hanging on wire (dog run wire) with a grey squirrel deflector. The deflector sort of works, but the little buggers will keep trying if they're hungry enough. Funny to watch them miss and fall to the ground. There is a hook under the grey deflector to remove the feeder easily to fill the thistle seed.
The feeder on the right is on a galvanized 1" water pipe. That's a metal deflector under the feeder. It's about twice the size of a coffee can. Whenever I get a brave "flyer" (usually a red rat), I cut the tree branch off the tree used as a launching point. I used a 10 gallon plastic bucket under the feeder for 2 or 3 years, but one of the little bastrd rats chewed away at it all day and finally got to the feeder.
You could probably make a similar defector for a pole from a 3lb. coffee can. A 1 lb. can is too small. They use the ridges as foot holds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2006 09:10AM by billb.
Posted by: Pops
Date: April 01, 2006 10:21AM
Do you consider an air powered BB gun a firearm? Certainly non-lethal, I found after 4-5 days of getting peppered in the hind quarters it kept the buggers away and from chewing up my feeders.

I'd tolerate them if they just ate the seed, but the destruction of perches for the birds pushed me to the BB gun. (And I am a STRONG proponent of gun control and registration)
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 01, 2006 10:42AM
Check out the movie on the page Gutie linked to.

The problem is that I've heard some squirrels actually ENJOY the Yankee flipper-- they get on it just for the ride!

Try here for lots of squirrel-proof options:

[www.shop.com]
[www.rollerfeeder.com]
[www.bestnest.com]
[www.heritagefarms.biz]
[www.squirrelproof.ca]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: SteveO
Date: April 01, 2006 12:12PM
Thanks a lot, guys. Pops, you gave me a great idea: maybe I'll just hire the vice prez. LMAO!

billb, the image was not real discernible, but I like your ideas. Maybe I'll rig something up.

I did see Costco had a squirrel proof feeder; maybe I'll grab that! I can see my squirrels abusing the Yankee. They would do it just to taunt me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2006 12:15PM by SteveO.
Posted by: LyleH
Date: April 01, 2006 05:09PM
I've had this one for about 6 months, and it seems to do the job. The outer cage lowers when more weight than a bird or 3 is on it, and it's adjustable for how much weight will lower the cage, which closes the openings to the seed. Pretty cheap at $19.95, and a pretty simple concept.

[www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com]

LyleH
Posted by: pRON aHOLIC
Date: April 01, 2006 08:22PM
Gutenberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What you need is a Yankee Flipper:
>
>

That was POMTL! Watch the video on that link!

-------------------------------------------------------

Join team 38910 folding! [folding.stanford.edu] multi cpu-[calxalot.homeip.net]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020