advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyway to make iPod touch work as a phone too?
Posted by: Dakota
Date: June 20, 2009 01:26PM
You know where I am going with this. Just bought a touch for my son and I know deep down he really wanted an iPhone. But we are all on T-Mobile.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyway to make iPod touch work as a phone too?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 20, 2009 01:35PM
Skype.

It is what it is.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 20, 2009 01:50PM
In addition to skype and a wifi connection, you will need a pair of earbuds with a microphone.

I purchased a decent pair at meritline that my son uses for his touch,
Posted by: endymion
Date: June 20, 2009 02:55PM
Well, you can do the unsupported thing and get an iPhone to use on T-Mobile, at least. Word is they even will support it if you, erm, and this is why I don't have an iPhone, because I can never tell the difference between jailbreak and unlock.
g=
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: June 20, 2009 02:56PM
Skype Me too.

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Posted by: what4
Date: June 20, 2009 03:04PM
Skype won't work on the first version of Touch, though, AFAIK.
Posted by: guitarist
Date: June 21, 2009 01:27AM
Re: Skype. Yeah, it can be used as a communication device, with obvious limitations. But to imagine it can be made to "work as a phone", when we think of the convenience and ease with which we use cell phones, is unrealistic to expect from an iPod Touch.

I concur, a used iPhone with a cheaper TMobile connection is a good in-between solution for someone who'd ideally like a new iPhone instead of an iPod. But it requires a person who's more technically advanced than the average person, willing to follow a few steps to make it work.

FYI, difference between jailbreaking and unlocking: Jailbreak is shorthand for breaking Apple's exclusive lock on the phone's OS and firmware, allowing the customer to do customizations and software installations otherwise not allowed. Unlocking has to do with the SIM card, allowing you to make a phone work with a different carrier. That's the difference. You can jailbreak a phone (just to install unofficial software) but choose not unlock it (stay with AT&T) But you can't unlock a phone without jailbreaking it, in order to get access to the steps required to unlock it. All unlocked phones are jailbroken. But not all jailbroken phones are unlocked.

Anyone here used an iPod Touch with Skype to substitute for a cell phone? Is it a satisfying setup?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 21, 2009 07:48PM
guitarist
Anyone here used an iPod Touch with Skype to substitute for a cell phone? Is it a satisfying setup?

Given the spottiness of wifi coverage in general, and the lack of hand-off capability from network to network, i find it hard to imagine a 'satisfying setup' like this for anyone who isn't in the same place all the time. There aren't many places with really large, contiguous, consistent and reliable wifi networks out there, and once you hit the road, fuggetaboutit!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020