advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPhone 3GS upgrade from 2G model - thoughts after 2 days
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 21, 2009 11:05PM
I was lucky and had a seamless upgrade and activation this weekend.

Went from an 8GB original iPhone to a 32GB 3G S. I upgraded the original iPhone to OS3 and played with it a couple days before I switched to the 3G S - the software is thus not a main difference here.

First impressions: the 'Finder' is quick. Much faster switching between apps, launching apps, reading email, etc. For those that use exchange, sort of the feel of the speed of the original iPhone before push email dragged it down. My family has 2 second gen iPod touches - maybe a 'touch' faster than those? Nice improvement. I found the responsiveness most impactful when I was using the touch keyboard and editing text. That's not so tedious anymore.

All of the bonuses found in the 3G are also nice - better (non-recessed) RCA jack for headphones, 3G network coverage (here in Minnesota, EDGE was pretty poor), GPS.

Have not stressed the battery, but I did not run the original iPhone out of juice except under very unusual circumstances before. Video does work - but looked like it was take by a cell phone camera.

Summary: a nice update from Apple. The price was reasonable as the original iPhone is still useful as an iPod touch with a bonus camera and built-in microphone for Skype smiling smiley

Is it a 'must' upgrade? Not really. An evolutionary next step of a good product.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPhone 3GS upgrade from 2G model - thoughts after 2 days
Posted by: Silencio
Date: June 21, 2009 11:22PM
I did the same upgrade and I have pretty much the same impressions, though the speed boosts across the board from my old 2G iPhone really do make it a worthwhile upgrade. Even loading pages on EDGE feels a lot faster on the new phone IMO.

And the 32GB of storage means I can retire my 30GB 3G iPod at long last.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 21, 2009 11:42PM
Third upgrader here. My initial impressions are pretty much the same as they were originally -- it is a seemingly huge upgrade to me over the original iPhone, especially in terms of speed, though I do find that Safari still isn't quite as snappy as I'd like, and some features that seem to me to be glaringly missing. Other initial impressions in my thread here: [forums.macresource.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: June 21, 2009 11:49PM
Hate to make this thread sound like a broken record, but ditto here. Upgraded from a 4GB 2G to a 32GB 3G S. Was able to retire my 20GB iPod as well.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 22, 2009 12:09AM
I'm very happy with the upgrade.

There was no reason for me not to. Safari is much faster for me. Not computer fast, but notably faster than Edge.

And Voice Dialing is a big jump. I still need a BT headset that fully supports Voice Dialing, and it still needs a little work, but it makes a world of difference for me.

Turn-by-turn GPS will mean I can save my Garmin for long trips.

And the 32G! I'll probably retire my 60G photo and start using my 80G Classic. But the 'Phone will hold a movie or three and more music.

If Apple history repeats, the next 'Phone will ship in a year. It probably won't have any more impact on me than the 16G 'Phone had on my 2G.

Now when we get 4G...

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 22, 2009 12:58AM
Ugh... just discovered, BT synching on the iPhone is apparently STILL not supported ... come on, Apple! Get with the program! grinning smiley

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 22, 2009 06:54AM
>>Ugh... just discovered, BT synching on the iPhone is apparently STILL not supported

That would be a sure fire way to create battery life issues.

Posted by: SteveO
Date: June 22, 2009 09:32AM
Thanks for the thoughts, guys. Hey, not to threadjack, but you guys with the 1g phones whose contracts were almost expired (mine's up in September)...what is the deal and contract on the 32gb for folks like us? I'm guessing $299 but thought I read somewhere that we can keep the terms of our old contract in force -- the cheaper rate (xyz plan + $20/mo for unltd web). What kind of terms are out there for us 1g upgraders? Did you have to sign a new 2-year deal? Were they running a promo that's expired now? Sorry for the questions, I just need to hear it from somebody I trust (i.e., you all) who has actually gone through with the upgrade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2009 09:40AM by SteveO.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 22, 2009 09:57AM
I'm pretty sure that if you upgrade to a 3G/3GS you pay the higher data rate- $30/mo.

And I'm pretty sure the 32G is $299, like you said.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: weapon
Date: June 22, 2009 11:41AM
Correct on both accounts, RAMd®d.
Posted by: Silencio
Date: June 22, 2009 01:01PM
BT syncing? I've got MobileMe and an Exchange account at work so I already get that stuff pushed to me OTA. I can purchase and update apps OTA. I wouldn't want to transfer music from my iTunes library to my phone via Bluetooth -- I'm not that kind of masochist.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: June 22, 2009 01:23PM
Wow, thanks, guys. This is a bummer as I was really looking forward to the 32gb and I had read last week that you could keep your 1g terms...maybe that is true until the 1g contract runs out. I can stomach the $20, but 30 is a bit of a stretch for me -- priority-wise.

Hmm. Guess I'll just try to keep the terms of my current contract after it expires if they'll let me. Anyone know the skinny? Do they MAKE you re-up on the 1g iPhone or can you just pay the same as you were and not be contracted? Thanks again, sorry for the dingbat questions.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: June 22, 2009 01:25PM
I'd still like to have BT syncing. Certainly wouldn't need nor want to use it for mass syncing of a ton of music or even a movie or two. Would be nice for contacts and minimal transfers, though. Can't see where that'd be much of an issue with the battery.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 200
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020