The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Will Apple extend it's ATT contract?
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: July 15, 2009 05:45PM
[latimesblogs.latimes.com]

Verizon waiting.

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Will Apple extend it's ATT contract?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 15, 2009 05:59PM
When is the current end of contract?
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: July 15, 2009 06:16PM
Maybe 2010? Really unknown.

[online.wsj.com]

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Posted by: Doc
Date: July 15, 2009 06:31PM
::confused smileyigh:::

How many times and on how many forums...

[forums.dealmac.com]

Financial analysts make money by publishing spectacular claims to sell their bogus reports. Maybe one in a hundred has had any real research done or has been made with concern for the slightest grain of accuracy.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 15, 2009 06:55PM
Verizon is too expensive, but I'd switch back to T-Mobile in a heartbeat. AT&T still thinks they're The Phone Company ("We don't care. We don't have to" ) .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2009 06:56PM by Will Collier.
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 15, 2009 08:06PM
I don't care for either AT&T or Verizon's service, and it is unfortunate that they've achieved a virtual monopoly in much of the country.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 15, 2009 09:49PM
I'd expect Verizon has learned from its' mistake and will do anything Steve want in order to join the party.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: July 15, 2009 10:03PM
Will Collier
but I'd switch back to T-Mobile in a heartbeat.

As would I.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 16, 2009 12:39AM
I don't think Verizon will get the iPhone as we know it, if at all.

And I'd bet that if it were to happen, it would be 2011, or very late 2010.

Luckily, I don't make my living as market analyst.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 16, 2009 02:35AM
And unless Tmobile makes significant investments in their network in the US, they won't get the iPhone. They may have great coverage in major cities, but their network coast to coast is a distant third when it comes to data. I know this first hand as I had too many issues with coverage on a company issued Tmobile blackberry. In fact a Tmobile rep wouldn't sell me a data card once I told him that I would be using in nationwide and not in major cities. He was quite honest in telling me that their coverage in many of these areas was non-existent.
Posted by: zero
Date: July 16, 2009 03:28AM
Just give me Verizon, so at least my iPhone calls dont sound like @#$%&
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: July 16, 2009 09:35AM
Verizon is far and away the most prevalent provider here in the big, bad Northeastern U.S. Their signal strength has been excellent since I first signed up with them in 1997. I've also been pleasantly surprised with VZW's customer service, although that may be due to the bar being set so low.;)

VZW has a reputation for crippling many of the features of its phones and requiring you to access its data plan for plenty of things (not to mention lousy Mac support), but comments made by its CEO recently have been encouraging. In 2005 I used to be able to use my old LG phone as a USB modem and have my iBook surf the web (slowly) using only the minutes in my voice plan, but Verizon put a stop to that.

Apple would bury Blackberry if it was able to sign a deal with Verizon, which has been rumored since 2008.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2009 09:39AM by the_poochies.
Date: July 16, 2009 10:54AM
I'm pretty sure that Verizon's network-availability and the speed of their data plan would suffer similarly to AT&Ts if they got 4-7 million iPhone users every quarter with each one demanding hundreds of times more bandwidth than previous users.

Add to that the necessity of dealing with Verizon's legendary customer service and I'd probably stick with AT&T if Verizon did get the iPhone.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 16, 2009 01:11PM
'm pretty sure that Verizon's network-availability and the speed of their data plan would suffer similarly to AT&Ts if they got 4-7 million iPhone users every quarter with each one demanding hundreds of times more bandwidth than previous users.

I think that's exactly right.

I don't know how much headroom VZW has but I'm sure users would notice the difference. And certainly an event like Macworld, although an extreme example, would make them look bad.

As a long time VZW customer before I got the 'Phone, customer service was actually pretty good, though I never had much call to use them.

But I have better coverage where I need it now then I did with VZW. That may have changed over the last two years. I figure it will be two years before I need to know, and need a new 'Phone. I definitely would *not* switch if it meant getting a lesser 'Phone with VZW.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: July 16, 2009 03:01PM
RAMd®d
'm pretty sure that Verizon's network-availability and the speed of their data plan would suffer similarly to AT&Ts if they got 4-7 million iPhone users every quarter with each one demanding hundreds of times more bandwidth than previous users.

I think that's exactly right.

I don't know how much headroom VZW has but I'm sure users would notice the difference. And certainly an event like Macworld, although an extreme example, would make them look bad.

As a long time VZW customer before I got the 'Phone, customer service was actually pretty good, though I never had much call to use them.

But I have better coverage where I need it now then I did with VZW. That may have changed over the last two years. I figure it will be two years before I need to know, and need a new 'Phone. I definitely would *not* switch if it meant getting a lesser 'Phone with VZW.

VZW would fair better than ATT. Their towers are closer together and thus the traffic gets dispersed more than with ATT. T-Mobile would do the worst. They spread theirs out even more than ATT and the tend to have slower connections for each tower.

Oddly enough, I think I'd only get an iPhone if Sprint carried them. Sprints network was built for this sort of expansion. The other carriers didn't not go this route, and have had to work backwards to handle data better.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Date: July 16, 2009 04:47PM
M A V I C
Sprints network was built for this sort of expansion.

Sprint's in such trouble, they might not last 'til AT&T's contract comes up.
[www.nytimes.com]

They sold the cell towers.

WiMax belongs to Clearwire now.

Ericsson bought their CDMA tech.

Even with the Pre, they simply don't have a good selection of handsets.

They're looking a lot like the mobile phone version of AOL.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 265
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020