advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best Mosquito Repellent
Posted by: earache
Date: July 23, 2009 09:54AM
Going camping next week and was wondering what the latest craze was in repellent technology. I'd prefer something that you don't have to apply to the skin, although that's probably the most effective. We have some of these Off incense lantern things that kinda work, but they're so 2007. I've seen the new clip-on repellents but don't know how well they work. What say you?

earache
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best Mosquito Repellent
Posted by: kap
Date: July 23, 2009 09:56AM
I have heard garlic repel fleas and mosquitos. Not sure how much one must eat tho'

SoCal for now.
Posted by: billb
Date: July 23, 2009 10:00AM
I usually click on "ignore this user".

24% DEET.
or maybe a submarine in Antartica.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 23, 2009 10:05AM
[www.drugstore.com]

We have been using this instead of deet based repellents. If you read the labels with deet, it tells you deet should not come in contact with plastics. So deet destroys plastics but is ok for your skin? I will stick with herbal unless I am going into deep forrest or jungle.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: July 23, 2009 10:14AM
iPhone "there's an app for that" Actually many apps
[ax.search.itunes.apple.com]
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: July 23, 2009 10:21AM
Burt's Bees has an all-natural spray that a lot of people seem to like:

[www.burtsbees.com]
Posted by: martin
Date: July 23, 2009 11:08AM
Newest FDA-approved repellant is picaridin. Been around for years, recently available in US.
[www.picaridin.com]
Date: July 23, 2009 11:09AM
pRICE cUBE
[www.drugstore.com]

We have been using this instead of deet based repellents. If you read the labels with deet, it tells you deet should not come in contact with plastics. So deet destroys plastics but is ok for your skin? I will stick with herbal unless I am going into deep forrest or jungle.

Repel label:
Warnings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep out of reach of children Precautionary Statements: Hazard to Humans. Harmful if swallowed. Causes moderate eye irritation. Avoid contact with eyes. Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water after handling and before eating, drinking, chewing gum or using tobacco. After returning from outdoors, wash product from all exposed skin. Do not allow children to apply this product to themselves. Do not apply to the hands of children. Do not apply to children under the age of three years. May cause skin reactions for some people. Discontinue use if irritation or rash appears. Do not apply over cuts, wounds or irritated skin.

First Aid: If in eyes: Hold eye open and rinse slowly and gently with water for 15-20 minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present, after the first 5 minutes, then continue rinsing eye. If swallowed: Call a Poison Control Center or doctor immediately for treatment advice. Have a person sip a glass of water if able to swallow. Do not induce vomiting unless told to do so by a poison control center or doctor. Do not give anything by mouth to an unconscious person.

Call a poison control center or doctor for further treatment advice. Have the product with you when calling a poison control center or doctor or going for treatment.

Physical and Chemical Hazards: Flammable. Keep away from heat and open flame.

How is this "safer" than DEET products ?
Date: July 23, 2009 11:14AM
billb
pRICE cUBE
[www.drugstore.com]

Repel label:
Warnings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep out of reach of children Precautionary Statements: Hazard to Humans. Harmful if swallowed. Causes moderate eye irritation. Avoid contact with eyes. Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water after handling and before eating, drinking, chewing gum or using tobacco. After returning from outdoors, wash product from all exposed skin. Do not allow children to apply this product to themselves. Do not apply to the hands of children. Do not apply to children under the age of three years. May cause skin reactions for some people. Discontinue use if irritation or rash appears. Do not apply over cuts, wounds or irritated skin.

First Aid: If in eyes: Hold eye open and rinse slowly and gently with water for 15-20 minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present, after the first 5 minutes, then continue rinsing eye. If swallowed: Call a Poison Control Center or doctor immediately for treatment advice. Have a person sip a glass of water if able to swallow. Do not induce vomiting unless told to do so by a poison control center or doctor. Do not give anything by mouth to an unconscious person.

Call a poison control center or doctor for further treatment advice. Have the product with you when calling a poison control center or doctor or going for treatment.

Physical and Chemical Hazards: Flammable. Keep away from heat and open flame.

How is this "safer" than DEET products ?

Most of those are from ingesting or internal exposure, I wouldn't ingest any repellent. Just because an ingredient is natural doesn't mean it goes in your eye or a wound. It's common sense.

Go ahead, spray some deet on your camera or plastic surfaces and tell me how you feel about it.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 23, 2009 11:25AM
pRICE cUBE
[www.drugstore.com]

i went backpacking with an all-natural, organics loving friend. i brought along some industrial strength, army surplus deet laden insect repellant. she had some natural product. the bugs were eating her alive; i was enjoying my s'mores in peace. she was so confused saying the packaging said the product had been tested in the Amazon rain forest. i told her yeah, they said they tested it in the rain forest. they didn't say it worked.

If you want to fix our country, work with us in the states. statesproject.org

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2009 11:52AM by graylocks.
Date: July 23, 2009 11:31AM
graylocks
pRICE cUBE
[www.drugstore.com]

i went backpacking in the with an all-natural, organics loving friend. i brought along some industrial strength, army surplus deet laden insect repellant. she had some natural product. the bugs were eating her alive; i was enjoying my s'mores in peace. she was so confused saying the packaging said the product had been tested in the Amazon rain forest. i told her yeah, they said they tested it in the rain forest. they didn't say it worked.

As I stated before, I will throw on the deet for serious deep woods conditions, otherwise, this one works nicely and leaves your skin feeling much nicer.

Date: July 23, 2009 11:37AM
I've (accidently)sprayed my D80, 8008, G3, watch , glasses and sunglasses.
No effect. (overspray, not direct)
Lucky ?

I usually take my shirt off and spray it, then any skin exposed.

I don't think any of my clothes are synthetic, mostly cotton.

The stuff smells like sheet, but I live near a swamp and we have ticks, deer and lime disease.

I've tried Repel.
It didn't seem to last very long.
But that's subjective.
Regular OFF didn't seem to last very long either.
Date: July 23, 2009 11:38AM
If anyone wants to read up on deet, a chemical originally developed as a pesticide, read here: [en.wikipedia.org]

As I said before, I am not all natural whacko only advocate, I use deet where advisable but avoid it when sensible.

Cayenne pepper is all natural but I am not jamming it in my eye, ear and open wound.

I don't have access to the Consumer Reports website, they take no advertising, but Lemon Eucalyptus is effective and tested well in comparison with deet.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2009 12:07PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 23, 2009 12:01PM
Ear,

Stick with a product that uses DEET. It appears the products that use it are the only ones that are consistently effective.

[www.consumersearch.com]

Robert
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 23, 2009 12:51PM
The best repellant I ever used was when I was doing outdoor work at Whiteman AFB years ago. It was some stuff that came from the military supply system, and it had a label that said : "Not certified for use in the following states". It was a long list of states. I only sprayed it on my clothes. There were mosquitos that could bite through your clothing there!
Posted by: michaelb
Date: July 23, 2009 05:06PM
I live in the north woods and regularly camp there. This summer my backyard and fields appear to the epicenter of the mosquito population in north america.

I avoid putting deet on my skin and the skin of my kids, but if mosquitos are bad it is really the only that works reliably, so I will use it when necessary. I tend to wear long pants and long sleeves if possible, so particularly say in the evening and morning at camp. Deet on clothes is really effective, so you can often avoid putting it on your skin if you have it on your clothes and on a hat.

The nondeet stuff like picaridin do work somewhat. Backpacker magazine regularly tests this stuff. Their findings are that 1) the greater concentration of deet the longer the deet lasts; and 2) the nondeet stuff doesn't last very long at all 15-30 minutes tops. I would consider using this on my dog (I would not put deet on my dog), because it can help against deer flies biting their ears.

I think it is worth bringing both options though and see how it goes. West Nile has changed the risk calculation for Deet to me, so while in the old days I would put up with a lot and not use it, I am much more likely to use something now, particularly on my kids.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2009 05:08PM by michaelb.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 23, 2009 06:05PM
DEET, the stronger the better. keep away from plastics, as pRON said.

for those fraidy-cats. Remember, toothpaste is bad for you if you swallow it. So don't. Lots of stuff I'd put ON me, just not IN me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2009 06:06PM by Racer X.
Date: July 23, 2009 06:20PM
michaelb
the nondeet stuff doesn't last very long at all 15-30 minutes tops. I would consider using this on my dog (I would not put deet on my dog), because it can help against deer flies biting their ears.

Eucalytus, Lavender and Lemon are herbs that repel fleas and mosquitos. Not sure about ticks.

We created a Lavender tonic for our dogs. We mist-spray (is that a word?) on them the massage the mist into their skin. Not sure if that has sent the fleas packing but the pups sure smell good grinning smiley

A co-worker also suggested to put a couple of drops of lemon to the dog's water bowl.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 23, 2009 07:04PM
"they tested it in the rain forest. they didn't say it worked"

LOL!

I've recently been told of a soap called "Scent-a-Way". Supposedly after you wash & shampoo with it, the bugs leave you alone. I've just got a bottle from an eBay seller so, I can't give a detailed report yet. I know I've seen it on Amazon too. My friend got his supply at Walmart last year. I don't see it on the Walmart website now though. It's a green liquid soap made by Hunter's Specialties.
Date: July 23, 2009 07:09PM
testcase
"they tested it in the rain forest. they didn't say it worked"

LOL!

I've recently been told of a soap called "Scent-a-Way". Supposedly after you wash & shampoo with it, the bugs leave you alone. I've just got a bottle from an eBay seller so, I can't give a detailed report yet. I know I've seen it on Amazon too. My friend got his supply at Walmart last year. I don't see it on the Walmart website now though. It's a green liquid soap made by Hunter's Specialties.

It won't make one glow in the dark now, will it?

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Lee3
Date: July 23, 2009 07:46PM
I buy the stuff from the army surplus store. They used to call it "Jungle Juice". I don't use it often though. As someone said it doesn't smell good, but it works. I think they use alcohol as the carrier.
Posted by: M>B>
Date: July 23, 2009 08:23PM
Avon makes some sun screens with mosquito/bug repellent (no DEET)...

[shop.avon.com]

And, else ware on there site.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: July 26, 2009 11:22PM
I can use only a little bit of childs-strength DEET on my hands or face, and only for two days max; too much and it's like a chapped sunburn. I haven't tried picaridin. I've tried various herbal remedies including Burt's Bees and Eucalyptus-oil stuff, but they've never really been effective for more than a few minutes. I think Avon Skin-So-Soft is either completely ineffective or perhaps even attracts mosquitoes.

I've had good experience with permethrin-treated clothes in the Yukon, and the Amazon, and the Daintree. I used to treat them myself with an aerosol, but Ex Officio sells a line of clothing (called Buzz Off) that is pretreated; Mumz is another brand. The permethrin lasts for many washings. A hat with permethrin works quite well at keeping mosquitoes off my face and neck.

Covering up is really the best way to prevent both bug bites and sun exposure. Ex Officio makes lots of great pants and long sleeved shirts that are well vented and keep you cool and comfortable in hot weather.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020