advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I need a bumper sticker (this one's for Don Kiyoti)
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: August 06, 2009 12:07AM
In the thread about goofy pet pics, Don Kiyoti wondered where the pics of my snakes were.

A little over 2 weeks ago, I was driving to work from my boyfriend's house (an hour journey) and had gone about 2 miles when I noticed something in the road. It was still fairly far away and I thought to myself, "I hope that's not a snake."

By the time I got to where it was, I realized it was a snake. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw that he was alive but definitely in danger. I couldn't let him get run over, so I quickly did a u-turn and parked my car on the shoulder of the opposite lane. This was at approximately 7:30 am and at that time, there's only heavy traffic in the direction I was heading (east). He had been in the east bound lane but when I passed him, it must've spooked him into heading the other direction. By the time I'd pulled over, he was mostly in the west bound lane.

Before I got out of my car, I made sure I had a positive ID on him (ie, that he wasn't a rattlesnake). He was a harmless bullsnake. By this time, he was completely in the west bound lane - lucky for him because there were two east bound cars coming! Rather than scoop him up while the cars were passing, I waited until they'd passed before approaching him. I was worried that if I startled him, he'd dart out into the east bound lane and become road-kill.

As soon as the last car had passed by, I placed one hand under his belly, lifted him up and rushed back to my car. He gave me one half-hearted hiss and that was it. At this point, I had no idea if he was ok or if he had been injured. I also didn't have time to safely relocate him away from the road. As luck would have it, I had a box in the car. I placed him in the box and continued on to work.

My parents built a house just outside of my town and have been spending weekends there. Luckily for me and the snake, they were at the new house that morning. I was able to call my mom to come meet me and get the snake. Even more lucky, she happened to have already moved her empty snake tanks to the new place.

She got him all set up in a tank and left him alone. She was worried that he was injured and didn't want to handle him. She continued to observe him occasionally until she and my dad were due to drive back to their other house. I decided to check on him the next day.

When I got to their house, I found him settled in to his tank - his head peeking out of his hide box. Figuring that he'd made it 24+ hours, he probably hadn't been hurt; so, I decided to take him out and give him a good look over. He's over 5 ft in length and it's obvious he's had a rough life. He's missing 4-6 inches of his tail (looks like something bit it off) and has numerous scars. He's also a little bit on the skinny side. Despite it all, he's a very pretty snake.

The following weekend, my parents returned to their house and my mom gave him a defrosted mouse. He ate. This past weekend he had 2 more mice. We're not sure what we'll do with him. If he stays, he'll be a snake ambassador in the snake education programs my mom does. Otherwise, we'll get him back up to a healthy weight and I'll release him near where I found him.

Here's the lovely little fellow. Don't let the pics fool you, he's really quite long.

I think I need a bumper sticker that says I brake for snakes smiling smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I need a bumper sticker (this one's for Don Kiyoti)
Posted by: Black
Date: August 06, 2009 12:10AM
Will the tail grow back?
Date: August 06, 2009 12:11AM
No, unlike with some lizards, snake tails do not grow back. I guess I should name him Stumpy!
Posted by: Black
Date: August 06, 2009 12:14AM
Stephanie
No, unlike with some lizards, snake tails do not grow back. I guess I should name him Stumpy!

Sorry . . . the same part of my psyche that still wants to believe that brine shrimp have nuclear families and live in little castles also wants your snake's tail to grow back.
Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: August 06, 2009 12:23AM
Good work Steph! The old guy looks grateful to be in a cushy place away from roads and cars.

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Date: August 06, 2009 12:28AM
Black - you and me both. It would be really nice if it would grow back. The stumpiness looks awful (it's not a clean looking stump).

Thanks Don Kiyoti. I just didn't want him to become road-kill and I know I'm in the minority. Not many people would be willing to stop to remove a snake from harm's way, let alone even swerve to miss hitting one.
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: August 06, 2009 01:04AM
Just use you avatar pic with a new caption--it'll probably cut down on tailgaters, too.

+1 on stopping to get the snake off the road, around here, people go out of their way to run over anything that's close to the road--snakes, cats, dogs, cyclists, etc.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: August 06, 2009 10:11AM
I always stop for turtles to move them. Unlike local rednecks, I choose not to let trucks splatter
me all over the road and bounce off the cars coming in the other direction.

btw... he doesn't look like a bull...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2009 10:13AM by Jimmypoo.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 06, 2009 04:46PM
Last week I saw a guy on the sidewalk yelling at some animal that he should return to the woods. Took me a second to see the turtle on the ground. Then he tried to pick it up and toss it but I think the turtle tried to bite at him. Hopefully he got back to where he needed to be.
Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: August 06, 2009 05:36PM
Stephanie
Black - you and me both. It would be really nice if it would grow back. The stumpiness looks awful (it's not a clean looking stump).

Thanks Don Kiyoti. I just didn't want him to become road-kill and I know I'm in the minority. Not many people would be willing to stop to remove a snake from harm's way, let alone even swerve to miss hitting one.

You should fashion for him a fancy silver prosthetic tail.

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Posted by: S.Taylor
Date: August 06, 2009 06:27PM
I still have the image of my father armed with a short broom doing battle with a rattlesnake, trying his darndest to get it off the road. The snake mostly wanted to eat him, striking at him and any cars that passed by. He finally got it off the road, and as a bonus we didn't need to take him to the emergency room.

This remote controlled tree is a must for the person who wants to be on the cutting edge of Christmas technology.
Date: August 06, 2009 07:34PM
Octave Doctor - that's not a bad idea. The ones I just googled online are kinda sucky.

jimmypoo - he's a BSer though!

mikebw - the guy sounds like an idiot. Glad to hear it sounds like the turtle didn't suffer any ill effects.

Don Kiyoti - with his coloring, don't you think gold would look better?

S.Taylor - with the way your story started out, I thought it was going to end with your dad killing the snake. Good for him for trying to get the snake to a safer place.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 157
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020