advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I don't get why Apple can't do the same thing Dell is doing at a similar pricepoint!
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: April 05, 2006 11:38AM
See details below from [www.slickdeals.net]

Granted, it doesn't come with OS X, has a slower clock speed and integrated graphics, BUT it is about $1300 less than Apple's 15" MacBook AND comes with 1 GB RAM, a modem, dual layer DVD burner and a 17" screen.
----------------------------------------------------------
Dell EPP has Inspiron E1705 for $1563 - $663 coupon SZB0P2ZRKBS20? - 10% coupon 1L2HGBXNSLLH04 - 2% when you pay with Dell Preferred Account = $793. Thanks hwiryant

To get the deal:

Click the link above
Click on 10 days of deals link
Customize and add the system to cart
Apply coupons, and checkout
Choose a credit card as method of payment and then accept the special 2% offer if paying with DPA
If you do not qualify for EPP program purchase, you can purchase the same laptop from Dell Home for :

Click here
Customize the system and add it to cart
Apply coupon XCP90L$CZB7L4L for $664 off

Apply $35 off 300 coupon from eBay
Choose credit card as method of payment and then accept 2% DPA offer and pay with it
Final price for Dell Home deal is $1563 - $664 coupon - $35 coupon - 2% DPA discount = $847. Thanks knee2retread

Specs:

Intel Core Duo Processor T2300 (1.66GHz/667MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Display
1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
100GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)
53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support

My music blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2006 11:55AM by pinkoos.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I don't get why Apple can't do the same thing Dell is doing at a similar pricepoint!
Posted by: threeprong
Date: April 05, 2006 11:44AM
Volume.

Ergonomic design costs.
Re: I don't get why Apple can't do the same thing Dell is doing at a similar pricepoint!
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: April 05, 2006 11:51AM
And just great customer service.

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Posted by: pRON aHOLIC
Date: April 05, 2006 11:57AM
Aluminum, RDF and raising my Apple stock price.

-------------------------------------------------------

Join team 38910 folding! [folding.stanford.edu] multi cpu-[calxalot.homeip.net]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 05, 2006 11:58AM
how HEAVY is that machine?

Posted by: DharmaDog
Date: April 05, 2006 12:23PM
Apple also keeps their product line pretty segmented and simple relative to Dell or HP. Dell is willing to shoe-horn some higher-end options into otherwise lower-end models. If Apple did this it would be hard to understand what the difference is between a MacBook Pro and a lower level laptop like an iBook.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just their way of segmenting.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: April 05, 2006 01:02PM
How much of a loss do you figure Dell takes on that deal, though?

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: threeprong
Date: April 05, 2006 01:44PM
Why not turn this argument upside down?

If DELL can create these laptops so cheaply, why can't they throw in some design elegance while they are at it? Cheaply of course.

3p

Posted by: davester
Date: April 05, 2006 01:48PM
You're comparing a low end Dell (no doubt a bulky, heavy one with pathetic performance) to the high end, very compact, Macbook Pro. Comparisons to the upcoming Macbook "Amateur" might be closer and will be at a much lower price point, though I doubt that the "Amateur" will have a video system that shares video ram (which I presume the Dell does).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: April 05, 2006 02:49PM
None of us would ever buy one of these "Dulls," but, for argument's sake, is "elegance" and "industrial design" worth that much extra?

Of course, the main differentiating feature is that the Dull doesn't run the Mac OS, so the point is moot - we all use Macs b/c of the OS...the design, etc. is, when it boils down to it, secondary.

I just think if Apple lowers their prices (notice I didn't say match the prices), they could really capture a much larger market share. Maybe that's not what SJ wants. Maybe he wants Apple/Macs to remain a niche product...I don't know.

At least, the switch to Intel chips and today's release of Boot Camp is a step in the right direction.
Posted by: MitchJi
Date: April 05, 2006 05:58PM
Hi,

Its called "what the traffic will bear"

Posted by: Sam3
Date: April 06, 2006 04:55AM
I just priced out a new dual core Dell buisiness-level Latitude laptop. I tried matching it as close to the MacBook Pro as I could - processor, memory hard drive, etc. The final price was $1855, $644 less than the MacBook pro. Granted that's a discount price, but Dell always seems to discount their machines, so I feel that is a valid comparison price. Add $250 for the list price. The screen is 1" smaller, and the only things that the Dell doesn't have are the backlit keyboard, built-in camera, remote, video card and weight. The Dell Latitude 620 weighs in at about 4 lbs.

OK, let's add a logitech wecamera for $100 and an Inspiron remote for $29. Now the Dell price is $1984 after discount. So is the ATI video card, backlit keyboard Firewire and dual-boot capability really worth spending $515 more?

Oh, the Dell comes with a 3 year warranty which includes phone support. Add $248 for their "On-site Mobility" plan wich includes the 'Complete Care' waranty that covers ANY damage; drops, spills, etc. and on-site next business day repair for three years.
Posted by: DharmaDog
Date: April 06, 2006 09:08PM
It's worth it to me.
If it's not to you, don't buy one.

Pretty simple, really.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 462
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020