The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is Steve Jobs big brother?
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: August 11, 2009 11:41PM
[www.thedailybeast.com]

The devil we know...

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is Steve Jobs big brother?
Posted by: Black
Date: August 12, 2009 12:05AM
Yes, not Dick Cheney, not the CIA, not the IRS, not the department of Homeland Security, not the FBI, but Apple Computer is the evil "man" hell bent on controlling us and keeping us down.
Way to have your head completely up your heiny.

Best line:

In fact, the reason why Apple computers have worked so well over time is that, unlike Microsoft, they don't bend over backward to be compatible with every piece of hardware or software in the digital universe.

bs smiley

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2009 12:12AM by Black.
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: August 12, 2009 12:39AM
I've noticed quite a backlash against Apple because of iTunes, the iPod & the iPhone. The people I've spoken with don't like them because they're so proprietary.

One friend of mine loathes the iPod because "it makes you use iTunes and that's crap!" Funny thing though, when he came to visit, he quickly became addicted to my iPhone. He loved it. I didn't have the heart to tell him it uses iTunes!

Anyway, the kind of stuff I'm hearing is in the same vein as what we say about Microsoft - people boycotting Apple products, calling Apple a monopoly. So weird to see this sort of attitude instead of the old arguments (that Apple makes inferior products).
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 12, 2009 12:58AM
It's the new tactic, Stephanie. The terminally stupid fall for it.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: August 12, 2009 01:09AM
Stephanie
One friend of mine loathes the iPod because "it makes you use iTunes and that's crap!" Funny thing though, when he came to visit, he quickly became addicted to my iPhone. He loved it. I didn't have the heart to tell him it uses iTunes!

I feel sad when I hear these misinformed people. The iPod has other alernatives. MusicMatch has a plug-in available so that people can use it's software instead of iTunes. Even Linux users can get in on the act. There is a Linux program called GTKPod that interfaces a Linux box to the iPod.

Having said that, I can't speak about the iPhone, as I have no experience with it. However. there is an Apple lock-in is between iTMS and iTunes. One has to use iTMS to purchase songs. But there are other music stores out there, Amazon comes to mind.

I am not particularly enamored with Apple the company or even necessarily the hardware. It's the applications that keep me in the Apple sphere of influence. iLife, iWork, Aperture, Final Cut are elegant apps that work seamlessly together, and that is what keeps me in Apple's walled garden.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 12, 2009 02:05AM
Sam3
However. there is an Apple lock-in is between iTMS and iTunes. One has to use iTMS to purchase songs. But there are other music stores out there, Amazon comes to mind

Not sure what you mean. You do NOT have to use the iTMS to buy music. You can buy mp3s from anywhere and import them into iTunes (and subsequently your iPod/iPhone). Amazon DLs are even imported automatically.

The only lock-in is that to buy from the iTMS, you need iTunes. But why is that a problem? Do they have a monopoly on any music?
Posted by: MysteryGuest
Date: August 12, 2009 04:06AM
What keeps me in Apple's walled garden is the blinking, winking, primary color visual horror that is Windows and its apps and fonts. Everything is so freaking ugly.
Hate is an ugly thing. So is stupidity.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 12, 2009 08:46AM
The two often go hand in hand, running rampant. I'm of the opinion, which is frequently enforced, that hate is often the product of ego, and that lashing out/bashing are merely compensating for various emotional and mental deficiencies.

There is no "lock-in" between iTunes music and iTunes. The iPod is tied to iTunes, as is the iPhone. If somebody doesn't like that, then they don't buy it. It's all that simple. One does not *need* an iPhone in 99.9 situation or an iPod. There are other options. Zune off.

But to get one's panties all bunched up over somebody's product line? I realize people are pretty screwed up, but it gets tedious listening to petty and often misguided or even stupid complaints.

I like Apple products- hardware and software. The competition, whoever that may be, just needs to do a far better job than Jobs to get me to change. *IF* and when they do, I'll give it/them a look/see. Apple may have a "walled garden", but the wall has a "door" and one can exit or bypass it completely.

Until then, I could only *hope* that Apple would be the worst oppressor we could have.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: Hate is an ugly thing. So is stupidity.
Posted by: Silencio
Date: August 12, 2009 12:14PM
RAMd®d
I'm of the opinion, which is frequently enforced, that hate is often the product of ego, and that lashing out/bashing are merely compensating for various emotional and mental deficiencies.

Good Lord is that the plain truth. I see it in all facets of our society and it is frankly disturbing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 191
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020