advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is the I.O.C. trying to kill softball?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 16, 2009 01:34PM
They have voted to keep softball out of the 2016 Olympics. Cat Osterman is not happy. As she points out, we have Golf on TV all the time...

"Cat Osterman is having a hard time with this. Her sport, softball, has been voted out of the Olympics, again. Somebody is going to have to express some righteous indignation, and she is merely the 6-foot-2 lefty pitcher to do it.

“Golf?” Osterman said Thursday after the anvil fell off the ledge and hit softball on the head.

“I don’t really understand,” Osterman said, without much prompting. “You can say it will bring in big names like Tiger Woods, but as for me, I wouldn’t watch it.

“You have Tiger Woods. You have the French Open, the British Open, the Whatever Open. But we watch these people every weekend,” added Osterman, who said she had never played golf."

[www.nytimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2009 01:35PM by freeradical.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is the I.O.C. trying to kill softball?
Posted by: rz
Date: August 16, 2009 01:38PM
The Olympics is no longer about amateur athletics. It's about money and ratings. I stopped watching when they started letting all the pro athletes play.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 16, 2009 01:41PM
Quite simply - To the dunderheads in the IOC softball is an American centric sport that puts woman in the forefront.

Many would be quite happy to return the Olympics to it's Greek roots of all men competing in the nude with women not even allowed to watch.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 16, 2009 01:41PM
>>Is the I.O.C. trying to kill softball?

If so, have the consulted a death panel?

Posted by: M A V I C
Date: August 16, 2009 03:25PM
Maybe they should stick with hardball. Is kickball an olympic sport? I think softball is very similar to kickball. It's a sport usually only played by kids or in some recreational leagues.

Now that they're changing sports because they might be dangerous, the olympics will end up like a cross between celebrity apprentice and sesame street on ice.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: raz
Date: August 16, 2009 03:33PM
M A V I C
Maybe they should stick with hardball. Is kickball an olympic sport? I think softball is very similar to kickball. It's a sport usually only played by kids or in some recreational leagues.

Have you ever watched top (say) college softball? I don't think I could hit those pitches.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 16, 2009 03:43PM
raz
M A V I C

Have you ever watched top (say) college softball? I don't think I could hit those pitches.

I too would look like an utter fool trying to hit those pitches. In women's fast pitch softball, the fastball gets up to 65-70 mph, and the distance from the pitchers mound to home plate is shorter. I'd guess that the decision time for pulling the trigger is about the same as in mens baseball.
Posted by: artie67
Date: August 16, 2009 03:52PM
Softball and hardball are gone. Look for golf and rugby to be added. Also related to track and field is a new record for the 100 meters. [www.latimes.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 16, 2009 04:06PM
Do not mistake adult recreation slow-pitch softball with college or professional level fast-pitch. A well thrown fast-pitch softball is harder to hit than a baseball. Many pro-baseball players have whiffed out in exhibition games against softball pitchers.

average pitch speed (professional level):
Softball 70mph
Baseball: 90mph

distance of mound to homeplate
Softball: 43 feet
Baseball: 60 feet

time for pitch to cross home plate:
Softball: 4.2/10's of a second
Baseball: 4.5/10's of a second

I'm proud to say my mother was a professional softball player in Grand Rapids, MI from 1935 to the mid-40's for Brach's Candies. She was approached to play professional girl's baseball but was unable to due to being needed for the family bakery after her brother was drafted into the army.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 16, 2009 05:02PM
Why don't they move the pitcher's mound back a little?
Posted by: Spock
Date: August 16, 2009 05:10PM
Golf: played throughout the world.

Softball: not so much.
Date: August 16, 2009 05:28PM
I admittedly don't know much about softball. To me it's just seemed like a toned down version of hardball (hence the name.) It's not very popular, not a lot of people play it, not a lot of people watch it, is there a pro league?

Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 16, 2009 05:45PM
>>Golf: played throughout the world.

...but only where english speaking people are found.
Date: August 16, 2009 05:51PM
mattkime
>>Golf: played throughout the world.

...but only where english speaking people are found.

And where water is available in abundance, or there's enough money to import water.

People who play golf spend money. The IOC wants people who spend money.

Posted by: trisho.
Date: August 17, 2009 01:35AM
M A V I C

Wow, that was an incredibly ignorant, diminutive & sexist thing to say. If you don't know that much about softball, how about you do some research before talking smack about it? I'm the same as freeradical, there's no way I could hit those pitches or even pitch that well in general. And I'm sure it would apply to most of the men and women on this forum.

trisho.
----------------
Official Card-Carrying Mother Earthin' Sl*t.
Posted by: 3d
Date: August 17, 2009 08:48AM
In place of Olympic Softball I'd like to nominate Olympic Beach Frisbee. It's gender neutral. Athletes all over the world participate and excel at this sport regardless of economic backgrounds.
Date: August 17, 2009 12:24PM
trisho.
M A V I C

Wow, that was an incredibly ignorant, diminutive & sexist thing to say. If you don't know that much about softball, how about you do some research before talking smack about it? I'm the same as freeradical, there's no way I could hit those pitches or even pitch that well in general. And I'm sure it would apply to most of the men and women on this forum.

Ignorant? Sure. It's not really something I care to learn much about. Diminutive? Well, based on its popularity, I would say diminutive is appropriate. Sexist? How? I made no mention of any sex in my post. When I see the rec leagues play at the local park, I think they're always coed. Same with kickball.

I would say most people do not care about softball. More people probably play boule pétanque than softball.

There's no reason for me to educate myself on softball before I mention my take regarding how the IOC views it. Why? Because most people aren't going to educate themselves on it and that's what the IOC cares about.

Date: August 17, 2009 12:25PM
3d
In place of Olympic Softball I'd like to nominate Olympic Beach Frisbee. It's gender neutral. Athletes all over the world participate and excel at this sport regardless of economic backgrounds.

Except that for some it's expensive to get to a beach.

Posted by: rz
Date: August 17, 2009 03:01PM
Spock

M A V I C
It's not very popular, not a lot of people play it, not a lot of people watch it, is there a pro league?

How about curling? Do they have bobsledding throughout the world? Is there a pro bobsledding league? There's probably a pro curling league somewhere.... maybe Norway? How about figure skating? When was the last time you figure skated? How often do you watch competitve swimming? How about rhythmic gymnastics?
Date: August 17, 2009 08:05PM
rz
Spock

M A V I C
It's not very popular, not a lot of people play it, not a lot of people watch it, is there a pro league?

How about curling? Do they have bobsledding throughout the world? Is there a pro bobsledding league? There's probably a pro curling league somewhere.... maybe Norway? How about figure skating? When was the last time you figure skated? How often do you watch competitve swimming? How about rhythmic gymnastics?

Well, figure skating is big business, so are gymnastics. But yeah, I wouldn't be sad to see curling go.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 123
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020