advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 
 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Going to Paris Next Month - Good Site to Keep an Eye on Things?
Posted by: JoeM
Date: April 06, 2006 12:56PM
Doesn't look like it's too bad there yet with the protests but I'd like to read up on what the mood is there, where things may be headed and attitudes towards tourists.

I've got [www.ricksteves.com] but am looking for other good tourist info sites.

Suggestions?

Thanks!



JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going to Paris Next Month - Good Site to Keep an Eye on Things?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 06, 2006 01:24PM
business or pleasure?



Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going to Paris Next Month - Good Site to Keep an Eye on Things?
Posted by: spearmint
Date: April 06, 2006 01:33PM
I hope you have friends there. Rabble is overrunning the good.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going to Paris Next Month - Good Site to Keep an Eye on Things?
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: April 06, 2006 01:55PM
It doesn't look too bad there yet? Really? From anything I've seen on the news, it looks bloody awful. Could just be the news but man.... I wish you good luck.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going to Paris Next Month - Good Site to Keep an Eye on Things?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 06, 2006 01:57PM
Everything I've read in the international media is that the US perspective is overblown. There are a couple of young men who throw rocks at the end of the marches, and demonstrate their testosterone by scuffling with the police.

Other than that, it's not a big deal. Not dangerous.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going to Paris Next Month - Good Site to Keep an Eye on Things?
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: April 06, 2006 02:18PM
wesurrender.com
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going to Paris Next Month - Good Site to Keep an Eye on Things?
Posted by: JoeM
Date: April 06, 2006 02:29PM
bazookaman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> business or pleasure?

Strictly pleasure. Gonna visit some museums, eat fu fu food, drink du vin, sit out on La Rive Gauche with the GF, etc. Maybe even buy a beret...who knows?







JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going to Paris Next Month - Good Site to Keep an Eye on Things?
Posted by: JoeM
Date: April 06, 2006 02:35PM
anonymouse1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Everything I've read in the international media is
> that the US perspective is overblown. There are a
> couple of young men who throw rocks at the end of
> the marches, and demonstrate their testosterone by
> scuffling with the police.
>
> Other than that, it's not a big deal. Not
> dangerous.

I'm seeing the same thing. Hopefully, they will work things out by then. Just want to keep an eye on things. After working nights in Times Square for nearly 15 years during the 70's and 80's, not much rattles me.




JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going to Paris Next Month - Good Site to Keep an Eye on Things?
Posted by: Silencio
Date: April 06, 2006 02:58PM
Last time we were in Paris, we actually ran in to Rick Steves and crew filming a new segment. We were on one of those quaint little side streets that have lots of cute restaurants and cafés that are mentioned in seemingly every guidebook.

Thankfully we went to a number of places that Steves would never cover.

As for museums: my favorite was probably the Orsay, which houses 18th and 19th century art. Brilliant stuff.

A short side trip to Chartres is worth it. It's maybe an hour's trainride each way. The reason to go there is the amazing cathedral, of course. And back in Paris, don't overlook Saint Chappelle: not as famous as Notre Dame or Sacre Coeur, but even more spectacular IMO.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going to Paris Next Month - Good Site to Keep an Eye on Things?
Posted by: JoeM
Date: April 06, 2006 03:07PM
Silencio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Last time we were in Paris, we actually ran in to
> Rick Steves and crew filming a new segment. We
> were on one of those quaint little side streets
> that have lots of cute restaurants and cafés that
> are mentioned in seemingly every guidebook.
>
> Thankfully we went to a number of places that
> Steves would never cover.
>
> As for museums: my favorite was probably the
> Orsay, which houses 18th and 19th century art.
> Brilliant stuff.
>
> A short side trip to Chartres is worth it. It's
> maybe an hour's trainride each way. The reason to
> go there is the amazing cathedral, of course. And
> back in Paris, don't overlook Saint Chappelle: not
> as famous as Notre Dame or Sacre Coeur, but even
> more spectacular IMO.

Thanks! Will check out Orsay and see about a side trip to Chartres, as well.






JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going to Paris Next Month - Good Site to Keep an Eye on Things?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 06, 2006 03:48PM
The wife and i went around the time of the rioting about the Muslim/police incident? Something like that. At any rate it was all over the news here. You'd think the city would be gone when we got there. We didn't see or hear anything about it. Our friends over there mentioned the same thing about American news vs world news. Two totally separate animals.



Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going to Paris Next Month - Good Site to Keep an Eye on Things?
Posted by: JoeM
Date: April 06, 2006 04:02PM
bazookaman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The wife and i went around the time of the rioting
> about the Muslim/police incident? Something like
> that. At any rate it was all over the news here.
> You'd think the city would be gone when we got
> there. We didn't see or hear anything about it.
> Our friends over there mentioned the same thing
> about American news vs world news. Two totally
> separate animals.

Yeah, every day is the end of the world for our media. How else can they keep people glued to the tube and stuck watching those horrendous Reflux/ED/Depends/etc. commercials over and over?

One of the main reasons I got out of television news.






JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going to Paris Next Month - Good Site to Keep an Eye on Things?
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: April 06, 2006 04:03PM
The forums at Fodors.com are usually pretty good. You'll have to weed through the posts, but you'll probably easily find reports from recent visitors to Paris. You can also post this question there for some feedback. Direct link: [www.fodors.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going to Paris Next Month - Good Site to Keep an Eye on Things?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 06, 2006 04:42PM
. . .I've been to Paris. . .BUT I've never been to me. . .

grinning smiley



_____________________________________

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going to Paris Next Month - Good Site to Keep an Eye on Things?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 06, 2006 08:29PM
Silencio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As for museums: my favorite was probably the
> Orsay, which houses 18th and 19th century art.
> Brilliant stuff.

Le musée d'Orsay is great, buy my personal fave is le musée Rodin:

[www.musee-rodin.fr]



Very powerful stuff and super close to the d'Orsay. Its proximity to the Seine also lends itself to a nice walk along the banks of that river.

Of course, it goes without saying that the Lourve should not be missed.


P.S. Incidentally, the piece above is not by Rodin, but by his longtime lover, Camille Claudel. Rodin's influence is reflected strongly in her work, however.



It is what it is.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2006 08:33PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going to Paris Next Month - Good Site to Keep an Eye on Things?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 06, 2006 09:17PM
we went to see the Rodin museum. VERY nice. Especially the outdoor stuff.



Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going to Paris Next Month - Good Site to Keep an Eye on Things?
Posted by: JoeM
Date: April 06, 2006 09:39PM
Thanks everyone. I will add le musée Rodin to our list. Just got word from people living in Paris who say it's no big deal, pretty much what we said above.

They feel only problem would be if a general strike gets called and that will just make things difficult, services-wise.

I guess now I need to ask for restaurant recommendations! ;)

Bonsoir Mes Amis! (Whoa, jes lookit dis kid frum Brooklyn, now, boyee!)



JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going to Paris Next Month - Good Site to Keep an Eye on Things?
Posted by: billb
Date: April 06, 2006 11:47PM
Watch these for huge fire-balls?


[ndparis.free.fr]



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2006 11:49PM by billb.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 53
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020