advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Sick penguin, bloodless fairy, outing and the way the world is for me at the moment
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: August 25, 2009 12:36PM
Greetings fair people.

I see that one or two had noted my absence, it does sometimes cross the mind whether anyone would notice if I wasn’t around. For anyone who is interested, and I warn you it could be boring, I will do a piece about what has been happening to me recently.

Back in the middle of July I attended our local hospital for what should have been a simple, if uncomfortable, procedure requiring an hour or two, after which I could go home. I knew what to expect as this was to be the second of two, the first being done a few months before. Unfortunately something went wrong and what should have been at most uncomfortable turned out to be the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life. I did get home but the pain continued for a couple of weeks but worse than that after about ten days it seems I lost about 4 units of blood. For those who don’t know, that’s quite a bit, getting on for half the normal body amount. Needless to say I became unbelievably tired but my local doctors and surgery have been excellent. One of them not only explained what the probable cause was (yes it was a mistake) but also said that he had first hand knowledge of the true procedure himself as a patient. I was given the option of a blood transfusion as a quick fix but as they knew the cause of the blood loss and knew it had stopped they recommended that I took the slow but safer route of regular blood tests and iron supplements and this is what I am doing. My blood oxygen level should be at 14 but the first time it was tested after my local GP saw me it was just 7.4. After a few weeks now I have found out I am at 11 so well on the way however I still get very tired if I push it too hard. At least I am up and about now, for a while it was all I could do to make it to the bathroom and spent most of time lying in bed either sleeping, reading or thinking...I did a lot of thinking.

So what about the rest of my subject title? A few of you may have noted that another member went missing about the same time, some knew my alter ego, others may have guessed but I am now outing myself officially...yes, I am the Birthday Fairy. Shock, horror!! I’m sorry that I was unable to keep up with my work in the last few weeks, I see some have been bold and announced their own birthdays but others have had their day go by without recognition from us here. I appear to have been at my job for about two and a half years after taking over from Rhonda. I thought it should be quite straightforward and in the main it has, it has certainly been fun finding appropriate cakes sometimes. Not quite sure why I decided to be anonymous, probably made sense at the time. I did say I had been doing a lot of enforced thinking and did think that maybe I would stop my Birthday Fairy activities. My ‘thinkings’ included what I should be doing with my life and I came to the conclusion that I should be doing more. More voluntary work, more seeing friends and family and more seeing new places with my wonderful wife (of over 31 years now) who has been an absolute angel during the last few weeks. She was an angel anyway but she has looked after me wonderfully, putting up with my moods and frustrations. I’m a very lucky man. Anyway, it does mean that if I put these thoughts into practice I will be away from my computer a lot more. I was sometimes able to do my duty using my MacBook Pro as long as I could find a suitable connection but it was difficult at times and it is only going to get worse. Anyone want the job? It would suit someone who works at their computer each day. I will ask for a volunteer using my alias as well as some might have seen the length of this and skipped to the next topic. If I don’t get a response and I know that Rhonda had a problem before I put my hand up (am I allowed to say that?) I’m not sure what I will do. Maybe I might downsize and do a weekly announcement of birthdays for the coming seven days. I will think about it.

Back to my thinking. Lots of thoughts and lots of plans. My beloved garden has suffered from my neglect but I have a lot of new ideas for it. I’m not exactly abandoning it for this year but I won’t be bothered about the various areas that have got out of control during the growing season, we seem to have a huge number of butterflies, dragonflies and other insects so something is going right. The new ideas include new ponds, new flower beds and more trees and I know exactly where they are going...well, exactly until I try it and then there is always a bit of shuffling about.

I have had to miss two classic car shows I was booked to be at and I also had to give away a couple of tickets I had for the Goodwood Festival of Speed but the plans are already in place for where I will be next year in the way of shows and rallies.

The other main interest of mine is model railway and I finally managed to create the plan I needed for my exhibition layout to show off my Tri-ang collection from the 1950s and early 1960s as well as the large N gauge layout I’ve been wanting to build for a while. Hopefully soon I will be able to get back to my volunteering at the North Norfolk Steam Railway, one of those 12” to the foot layouts.

That’s it, my last few weeks have been miserable, painful and very tiring but I’m hoping that they will also have been fruitful and I have to say I am quite excited about all the various plans I have made. Just give me my strength back to see a few of them through to fruition.

Always look on the bright side of life.... [www.youtube.com]

Cheers

Paul

Yes, the penguin has a name and I see no reason not to use it.

PS Many thanks to those who sent PMs, your concern was much appreciated.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sick penguin, bloodless fairy, outing and the way the world is for me at the moment
Posted by: lazydays
Date: August 25, 2009 12:42PM
Welcome back and I hope the rest of your recovery goes well!
Re: Sick penguin, bloodless fairy, outing and the way the world is for me at the moment
Posted by: olnacl
Date: August 25, 2009 12:44PM
Best wishes for your continued recovery. Hang in there!

Posted by: MacGurl
Date: August 25, 2009 12:44PM
<gentle hugs>

Kathy

Posted by: Sam3
Date: August 25, 2009 12:49PM
Wow! I'm glad that you are on the mend! Hope that you make a quick recovery. Sounds like your thinking has moved you in a great direction.

Since you outed yourself, I feel that I can now ask about your handle. Every time I see it I think that you are a Linux devotee, which would be cool if it were so. In my mind penguin=Linux, maybe because I like playing with it. I'm probably way off, but would an outing of the screen name be possible?
Posted by: billb
Date: August 25, 2009 12:52PM
I was rather hoping you had a month vacation and were sailing.

Whatever changes you may have to choose to make, I bet you'll have some interesting pics.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: August 25, 2009 12:53PM
Paul,

Concentrate on the important things...health and family.

Just glad to hear you are on the mend.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: jardster
Date: August 25, 2009 12:57PM
voodoopenguin
my alter ego

Glad to have you back, and you are excused from beer pictures for a while. When I read the above, all I could think was.... "no way, he is also BGnR." The birthday fairy I could believe.

Posted by: decay
Date: August 25, 2009 01:02PM
welcome back!

post pix of your English garden when it's better, too.

---
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: August 25, 2009 01:02PM
Hey voodoo - good to have you back and good to hear that you are on the mend.

Now the important question - can you still drink beer ?

: -)

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 25, 2009 01:05PM
From one Paul to another; get well, get yourself on the track you want to be on, then worry about the trivialities of forums and things.

Good to see you back!

No matter where they are, doctors DO tend to accidentally poke holes in the parts that leak once in a while!

Go relax in the garden, enjoy some sun (if there is any out today for you), maybe an adult beverage if your medical practicioners allow it...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 25, 2009 01:05PM
Paul, I am sorry for your trials and I sure have missed the garden photos. I actually wouldn't mind seeing some pics of the "out of control version" with all its "butterflies, dragonflies and other insects" if you can get around to it. Sounds like the sort of place I'd like to be. :-)

I hope your recovery goes well and you continue to get stronger and healthier and can begin to realize all your plans. They sound wonderful. Enjoy!

Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: August 25, 2009 01:14PM
I want to thank-you for all the birthday wishes for myself and all the others over the years. I wish you a speedy and full recovery.
Posted by: raz
Date: August 25, 2009 01:16PM
My deepest empathy.

Get well soon.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: 3d
Date: August 25, 2009 01:17PM
voodoopenguin
My ‘thinkings’ included what I should be doing with my life and I came to the conclusion that I should be doing more. More voluntary work, more seeing friends and family and more seeing new places with my wonderful wife.... Anyway, it does mean that if I put these thoughts into practice I will be away from my computer a lot more.

Voodoopenguin/Paul,
Aside from using the internet as a research tool for information, online computer activities should be a fun diversion from life to pass the time. It shouldn't encompass a life. It sounds like you have a fine plan for the future. Take the red pill. Oh wait!!! ...or is it the blue?! No, the red. I'm 90% sure it's the red pill you want.
Posted by: jesse
Date: August 25, 2009 01:23PM
Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery, also I wish you the best with your plans for the future, they sound great.
Posted by: Wags
Date: August 25, 2009 01:36PM
Thanks for update, and sorry to hear of your medical ordeal. I'm convinced you'll get through this because of the positive outlook that always characterizes your posts. I've been wondering why we haven't seen any recent pictures of your fabulous garden. Here's wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.

All the best,
Bob

PS - if you'd have spelled it "faerie" we might have had more luck guessing your identity. You've missed mine three years running, anyhow. :-)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 25, 2009 01:39PM
Your comportment in the face of these trials and tribulations has been in the finest traditions of the .. (pick your establishment, regiment, soccer club, fleet, etc.).. well done ! We're all pleased that you are mending.

God bless, and enjoy life. Recovery from a severe illness often gives one the opportunity to step back from the hustle and bustle of everyday life that can consume us. I had a similar experience 8 years ago, and I can honestly say that I enjoy my renewed life much more, because I learnt not to worry off about things.
Posted by: ScottG
Date: August 25, 2009 01:41PM
Best wishes for a quick recovery- as an Englishman (living abroad) who is interested in beer and cars, I had missed your posts. Hopefully next year the summer weather will be glorious for the car shows and rallies.

cheers

scott
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 25, 2009 01:45PM
Glad to hear you're doing better!!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2009 01:46PM by Speedy.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: August 25, 2009 01:57PM
So glad to hear from you again! Definitely missed your wonderful contributions to the forum.

When you can make it, margaritas at El Torito in Dana Point Harbor are on me. RSVP

Toodle pip!

GeneL
Posted by: AAA
Date: August 25, 2009 02:27PM
So, what does this say vis a vis the NHS vs USA?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 25, 2009 02:58PM
Ay wifh you a speady recover an' a fyne tyme in the gardinn.

(I have no idea of actual Olde English spelling, but thought I would try...)
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: August 25, 2009 03:19PM
Welcome back to the world, 'vood! Yes, we did miss you, and I'm very sorry you were going through trials and tribulations instead of out and about, seeing the world. Louie and I extend our best wishes for your continued improvement.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: August 25, 2009 03:56PM
Hang in there, buddy.

Sounds like you're on the mend, and will have many many happy days ahead of you!

Doug

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: kanesa
Date: August 25, 2009 06:03PM
Thank you for being so open and exposing (:-)) yourself as the Birthday Fairy. All the birthday wishes have been appreciated.

You are one of the bright spots on this forum and would be terribly missed. Hope your recovery is swift, your beer is cold, and your life is full.

sharon
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 25, 2009 06:36PM
Glad to hear that you are doing better, but sorry to hear what you have had to go through. You have done a smashing job as the Birthday Fairy and I know you have been missed. Good luck with all your projects, and if you are ever in Georgia, I could always use some help with my garden. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: August 25, 2009 06:41PM
Hey Voodoo, Please take care of yourself and your loved ones first. Thank you for all the effort you put into the forum. I wish you the best life has to offer.

Dennis R
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: August 25, 2009 07:11PM
Get better. If it keeps leaking, try duct tape : )

Bryan
Posted by: vicrock
Date: August 25, 2009 07:18PM
Glad to hear that you came through your bad patch - here's wishing you a complete and speedy recovery.
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 25, 2009 07:43PM
Thanks for letting us know you're still around. I think many here will agree that while you will continue to be missed, it's wonderful to get ones priorities in order, no matter what the impetus.

Continue getting better and focus on Paul (and Mrs. Paul/penguin) and all that's important for you.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: August 25, 2009 08:07PM
It's amazing how one all of a sudden goes, "Where's XXX?" Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. Stinks!
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: August 25, 2009 08:36PM
Well, at least you now have time to work on your Jimi collection and get rid of any duplicates . . . make sure that you double check each one.

Thank YOU for being THE Fairy . . . you were simply smashing!!! Seriously!!

Get well, soonest!

bubb rubb smiley

edit: fixed a typo.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2009 08:36PM by WHiiP.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 25, 2009 11:30PM
Well I for one have certainly noticed your absence. I wish you luck in your recovery and hope that your system will soon be posting Maserati-like performance numbers in lieu of those rather pedestrian early post-war sedan numbers (sorry, I can't remember what that little car is). Good luck!

When you're feeling better, perhaps you could head out west and come to see some REAL speed. The Goodwood Festival of Speed is like a quiet snail race compared to the Reno Air Races unlimited class (500+ mph average lap speeds! [www.airrace.org]

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2009 11:34PM by davester.
Posted by: blooz
Date: August 25, 2009 11:33PM
I also wish you a good recovery back to your usual (maybe even better!) self.

Thanks for the good work as Birthday Fairy. You have been missed in more than one way on this forum.

Definitely post some wild garden photos, and have a beer on me.grinning smiley

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 26, 2009 12:12AM
Keep a stiff upper lip, God save the Penguin!

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: A-Polly
Date: August 26, 2009 12:39AM
So glad you are on the mend! Looking forward to your full recovery, and to seeing how the garden grows. Your positive attitude has always brightened my day.

Good luck with your plans.
--
A-Polly
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 26, 2009 06:39AM
British...Paul...Alter ego...

OMG!

Voodoopenguin is...

Sir Paul McCartney!

Get well and stay well!
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 26, 2009 08:35AM
Lux Interior
British...Paul...Alter ego...

OMG!

Voodoopenguin is...

Sir Paul McCartney!

Get well and stay well!

If that were the case, I think his he would have been VoodooWalrus. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: August 26, 2009 10:45AM
Get well. Sending positive waves your way and hoping they don't get lost in the fog.

Cheers, Gutie
Posted by: GeneL
Date: August 26, 2009 12:04PM
Paul, as you can tell, everyone misses you and we are concerned about your recovery. If you are up to it, please let us know how you are doing?

You are in my thoughts. Get well, my friend! I say this selfishly, since my birthday is coming up in October and I'm looking forward to my cake.old fogey smiley

GeneL
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 28, 2009 07:16PM
welcome back...

but... can you turn LEFT on RED in the UK?

[forums.macresource.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020