advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Blackberries are for business, iPhones are toys for the masses........
Posted by: Buck
Date: September 04, 2009 10:21AM
We just had some great business meetings, except for Blackberry-iPhone discussions, and PC-Mac shouting matches. My question is, are any of our distinguished MR iPhone carriers business users? Any regrets or jealousies when comparing with a Blackberry?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Blackberries are for business, iPhones are toys for the masses........
Posted by: rob banzai
Date: September 04, 2009 10:30AM
Having had to support both iPhones and Blackberries I can say this: I hate them all. I hate that the formerly rock-solid Blackberries now crash/freeze/act completely stupid almost as often as outright failures like the Motorola Q. The iPhone, lovely as it is can be a right bastard when it comes to setting up email. I'm at around the 50% mark for iPhones that completely refused to accept the corporate email account, through Exchange, POP or IMAP. It's incredibly frustrating when two users bring you their new iPhone and the first sets up no problem at all and the second absolutely cannot be set up for the same email as the first one.

Apple should be horse-whipped for the email setup screens, especially being forced to "test" the settings when you know damn well it will require the advanced screen you can't get to until the "test" is complete. So you sit there like a boob waiting for the thing to timeout so you can move on, knowing that even if the settings are 100% correct it might not work.

PDAs are a goddamn pox. angry villagers smiley
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: September 04, 2009 10:44AM
I'm almost all business in my phone usage and I have an iPhone.

Can't say that I particularly "love" my iPhone. It sucks like the rest of them. And like hanging with celebrities, it looks cool to the outsiders but the real deal is quite different. Crashes, freezes, that stupid touch screen which, when heated by your face, doesn't want to work. Or when touched by sweat, it also doesn't want to work.

There's very little reason I keep mine except for the fact that it syncs easily with my mac - and is the bedrock reason why I switched from Nokia to iPhone in the first place.
Posted by: guitarist
Date: September 04, 2009 10:45AM
I thought iPhones were for communication, and blackberries are for pie.

Posted by: Buck
Date: September 04, 2009 10:49AM
Mac-A-Matic
I'm almost all business in my phone usage and I have an iPhone.

Can't say that I particularly "love" my iPhone. It sucks like the rest of them. And like hanging with celebrities, it looks cool to the outsiders but the real deal is quite different. Crashes, freezes, that stupid touch screen which, when heated by your face, doesn't want to work. Or when touched by sweat, it also doesn't want to work.

There's very little reason I keep mine except for the fact that it syncs easily with my mac - and is the bedrock reason why I switched from Nokia to iPhone in the first place.

You don't use a bluetooth device?
Posted by: TLB
Date: September 04, 2009 10:49AM
We had a group of Blackberry using mac-o-philes at work that switched to iPhones this summer. They all switched back to Blackberries within their grace period stating the iPhone was "not ready for prime time." The complaints centerd on email. I don't use either but I'm guessing it must have been related to rob's comments above.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 04, 2009 10:55AM
look, the main corporate attraction to the Crackberry is the personalizable server nature of Crackberry mail and apps. Apple's concept assumes everyone uses pop or imap mail.

Many of us do NOT. Lotus Notes systems (yeah, you can pop it, sure) and other environments with synchronization tools to your corporate environment are still the realm of the Blackberry.

Apple still does NOT talk to the "Enterprise". They just have no focus on that sort of customer. And guess what ? The customers understand that, and stay away.
Posted by: dmann
Date: September 04, 2009 11:12AM
I use my iPhone primarily for business, but I am self employed so it makes the decision making process much easier. Of course, I run my business off my Mac and the iPhone works beautifully with it. ;)

DM
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 04, 2009 11:22AM
It was perfectly easy to set up personal email on my iPhone. And then they added access to MS Exchange and that made my work email quite easy to get. What's the problem?

Posted by: abevilac
Date: September 04, 2009 11:30AM
I also use my iPhone [1st gen] for my business [self-employed] and have 3 email accounts on it. All are IMAP or POP but I haven't had any problems. It's been a life saver [i.e, job saver] many times.
Posted by: guitarist
Date: September 04, 2009 11:37AM
Corporate employees who are permitted to carry devices that are compatible with the corporation's Enterprise-oriented email requirements are naturally going to find Blackberries thrilling. The rest of civilized world (the majority of us don't work for corporations) can enjoy any number of communication devices. Including those of us who work for medium or small businesses, or own medium, small, or large businesses. In this vast segment of the population, the iPhone enjoys growing popularity.

For heavy-duty text and email communication, the Blackberry's robust, corporate-tuned networking and hard-button keyboard has the natural advantage. Useful for middle managers and worker-bee employees. The tradeoff: smaller viewing screen, limited internet access. For accessing the real internet, and using real-world applications, the iPhone's larger screen and full-featured web browser give it a welcome regular-person advantage.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 04, 2009 11:44AM
My company is in the process of dumping Blackberries for iPhones. BBs are too hard to support, not as reliable, and have fewer features. They also cost more. You may debate that, but if you count the cost of the BES, BES client licenses, the devices, the Enterprise Data Plan, Text messaging, Long-distance, and international roaming they cost quite a bit more than iPhones. They are also not as cool as iPhones. We're not a huge company, but we have probably 80-100 phones across the company, about 15 iPhones so far, but all BBs are being replaced with iPhones through attrition.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2009 11:45AM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 04, 2009 11:45AM
dmann
I use my iPhone primarily for business, but I am self employed so it makes the decision making process much easier. Of course, I run my business off my Mac and the iPhone works beautifully with it. ;)

DM

Ditto to what dmann (and abevilac) said. Being self-employed makes at least some things easier. :-\

Date: September 04, 2009 11:48AM
Once we set up a public facing exchange server, configuring business email on the iPhone was a breeze. I have 6 email accounts set up on my iPhone. Most are IMAP, but one is Exchange.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2009 11:49AM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 04, 2009 12:30PM
I use a BB for work email only because my company won't allow any other device. It's attachment viewing capabilities suck and I'm being polite. The iPhone handles attachments much better. The ones on the blackberry are virtually unviewable, but render perfectly on the iPhone.

If all you need is to view emails, manage contacts and calendars, blackberries are fine, but only as long as RIM's servers are up. Every time the servers hick-up, users are left without those services. Since the iPhone uses ActiveSync, mail reliability is dependent on your wireless carrier and your exchange server.

Email sending on the Blackberry seems to be faster than on my iPhone (caveat: I have the first generation, so this may just be an old hardware issue).

Other issues with Blackberries include not being able to take emailed ics attachments (used for scheduling) and put them into your calendar.

So, each device has its strengths and weaknesses. For my purposes, the iPhone provides more of what I need and creates fewer hurdles.
Posted by: rtwdwk
Date: September 04, 2009 12:55PM
stuck with a BB here.
IT supports the iPhone and we have a lot of users. However the company pays for a BB.
They will not pay for a iPhome. I would switch in a minute if they picked up the tab.
Date: September 04, 2009 01:27PM
rtwdwk
stuck with a BB here.
IT supports the iPhone and we have a lot of users. However the company pays for a BB.
They will not pay for a iPhome. I would switch in a minute if they picked up the tab.

That is strange because an iPhone 3G is only $99, while the cheapest BB is the same or more and requires BES CALs on top of everything else.

Posted by: Silencio
Date: September 04, 2009 04:47PM
What Ztirffritz said, more or less.

I actually administer a mail server for a good-sized company (Kerio Mail Server) and its support for the iPhone via Exchange account / ActiveSync is very good. All mail traffic is sent over SSL. Kerio has a few glitches with iCal but it mostly works very well.

Our BlackBerry users, however, add to my pain. I have to spend an extra $100 per BlackBerry user for middleware to access our Kerio server, and the quality and reliability of that software is very poor.

Outrageously expensive middleware is the dirty little secret of the BlackBerry ecosystem. RIM is making a killing with BES and third party companies like Notify no doubt are raking it in as well, but I think that model is going to collapse sooner or later. It kind of sucks that a closed standard that belongs to Microsoft is probably going to take over, but perhaps M$ finally did something right.
Posted by: mottai
Date: September 05, 2009 09:35AM
I do have a small business and I use iPhone + Mac + Gmail for business. Works like a charm.

I conduct most of my business (responding to emails, booking train/air tickets, contacts) through my iPhone, on the go.

As said, one of the main benefits of running a small business of your own smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 125
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020