advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Gmail question
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 09, 2006 01:58PM
Anyone know if it is possible to send an email in gmail with return receipt requested? (I'm not sure I'm calling it the right thing-- it's a feature whereby when the recipient reads your email, you get notice of it.) Or is there an option in Mail somewhere to specify this, if you are using Mail as the client for gmail?

TiA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Gmail question
Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: April 09, 2006 02:06PM
I have never found it in Gmail.

But you can set up your mail client to do it: Outlook, Eudora, Mail, etc.

Check the prefs/options in your application.
Date: April 09, 2006 02:16PM
Effin, that's part of why I was asking... I checked Mail (what I'm using) and didn't see it. But that doesn't mean it isn't there... possibly I'm just not looking in the right place, and the Mail help is no help.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: wurm
Date: April 09, 2006 02:47PM
Unless things have changed, with any of these return receipt requested options, it is still up to the recipient to acknowledge receipt. This often defeats the purpose. The only way around it that I know of is to use something like [readnotify.com]
Date: April 09, 2006 02:59PM
wurm, you mean that the recipient always has the option to decline receipt? Or that they can still read the email, but not acknowledge receipt?

If the latter, then how about delivery receipt rather than read receipt, to at least know that an email got there (but not necessarily that it was read)?

In the meantime, I just found this:

[www.macosxhints.com]

which is pretty relevant-- I wasn't aware that Mail is ignoring the "Disposition-Notification-To" header.

I also found this:

[www.macosxhints.com]

... but not clear that doing this won't cause you to get return receipts for ALL messages, and also it may not work with Mail 2.0/Tiger?

Date: April 09, 2006 03:51PM
As far as I know, they can read it, and when the window pops up to request the receipt, they can just dismiss (or ignore or cancel) it. You need a cooperative recipient to make it work right. :-)

I ended up trying the free trial for read-notify a couple years ago when I had a client who wasn't acknowledging emails, and it was somewhat comforting to know that he was in fact receiving them and reading them. He's now an ex-client. And yes, I did finally get paid in full.
Date: April 09, 2006 03:56PM
wurm, still not sure I understand... so they could conceivably ignore or dismiss it, but still read the message?

If so, then it would seem to be a fairly useless option. So then I'd just want delivery receipt...

Date: April 09, 2006 04:18PM
PeterB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wurm, still not sure I understand... so they could
> conceivably ignore or dismiss it, but still read
> the message?

Yes.

>
> If so, then it would seem to be a fairly useless
> option.

Indeed. smiling smiley

> So then I'd just want delivery receipt...

I'd settle for that too, but to the best of my knowledge the only way to get even that without the recipient's cooperation is with something like that read-notify I linked.

I would love to be proven wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2006 04:19PM by wurm.
Date: April 09, 2006 04:33PM
wurm, shouldn't there be something in the email header which just sends you a receipt if the destination email server gets the email? That would seem to be pretty simple, and not really much, if any, of an invasion of privacy... since it would just be telling you that the email went through, not necessarily that the person actually read it.

Date: April 09, 2006 05:37PM
I don't know enough about the inner workings of email protocol to know whether or not that's doable. To that end though, I was under the impression that if it didn't bounce back, it was delivered. Whether it's seen is another issue altogether.

Seems to me I went through this exercise in futility way back when, which is why I ended up doing the trial for that notification service.

It's deja vu all over again. [forums.dealmac.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2006 05:45PM by wurm.
Date: April 09, 2006 06:08PM
wurm, OK, then how did the notification service work out for ya?

Date: April 09, 2006 06:20PM
Well, as I said, I only used it for the free trial. It was certainly worth that. :-) That client was really the only reason I felt I needed something and I haven't felt I needed it enough to pay for it since then.

That said, it did work well, as I recall. I felt a little sneaky, because the recipient has no way of knowing you're tracking the email. Best advice I could give you is to give the free trial a shot. If it were something I needed to do on a fairly regular basis, I think I'd swing for the $24/yr. cost.

Wait a minute. I knew there was another one out there. My brain can't remember what my wife asked me yesterday, but this site must have been stuck in my ram buffer. [www.didtheyreadit.com] Looks like that one's a little pricier. At worst, you could check them both out with the free trials.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2006 06:25PM by wurm.
Posted by: S.Taylor
Date: April 09, 2006 08:36PM
I thought the spammers include a link to a graphic image, then monitor when that image is accessed. Should work, unless recipient doesn't automatically load images.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 10, 2006 01:15PM
Then the addressee would need HTML mail, wouldn't he (or she) for the pixel bug to work?

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 138
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020