advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How can I get TV-out from this graphics card to an old TV
Posted by: volcs0
Date: September 23, 2009 11:45PM
I have one PC running XBMC that I want to out to an old CRT TV that only has composite video in.

This is the graphics card I have.

[usa.asus.com]

As you can see, the output options are VGA, DVI-I and HDMI.

SInce DVI-I is apparently capable of both analog and digital, I took my DVI-to-S-video/composite cable I have (Apple) and tried it, but I just got a lot of flickering and shaking lines on my TV. I played with the settings (resolution and refresh rate) for a long time, to no avail.

I'm wondering if a VGA-to-composite adapter would work.

Or is there something I can do with the HDMI?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How can I get TV-out from this graphics card to an old TV
Posted by: Black
Date: September 24, 2009 12:11AM
No personal experience, but maybe this:
[www.monoprice.com]

Or this:
[www.monoprice.com]

?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: silvarios
Date: September 24, 2009 12:15AM
The VGA to composite converter in Black's second link should work.

I think the problem is DVI-I not supporting composite out (just VGA). I would be wary of the VGA to composite cable. For VGA, your video card would have to support the TV out feature.

Nathan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2009 12:27AM by silvarios.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 24, 2009 12:22AM
DVI-I generally supports analog in the form of VGA out. If the manufacturer doesn't support the pin-out Apple used for its adapters, then the Apple video adapter isn't going to work.

I also think you'll need a VGA->Composite converter, but cheap ones probably look like sh** and good ones are expensive. Might be easier to get a new graphics card that supports true video out.

You can also convert DVI and HDMI to composite video, but these adapters are much more expensive (sometimes a few hundred).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2009 12:23AM by Gareth.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 24, 2009 12:28AM
ATI cards used to be more likely to output composite on VGA. There is a different version of the 4350 that has a S-video, so there is a good chance the Monoprice adapter will work.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: September 24, 2009 12:30AM
Gareth posted his thoughts before I edited my post for better clarity. He has the right stuff.

I would try the Monoprice converter. For watching SD quality video I would think the converter should work good enough. I have the opposite converter (composite to VGA) and it works fine for connecting an 3G iPod nano to an old 15" NEC LCD.

Nathan
Date: September 24, 2009 12:40AM
Filliam H. Muffman
ATI cards used to be more likely to output composite on VGA. There is a different version of the 4350 that has a S-video, so there is a good chance the Monoprice adapter will work.

Right. I ordered the one with S-Video - at least that's the one Amazon had pictured. But the sent me the HDMI one instead. At this point, I was hoping to get the card working anyway, and then I would have an HDMI option, should I get an HD TV.

I found one post of someone using a cable with that card and it working, but the vast majority of users' ratings of those cables are negative. I guess I should try the converter box.
Date: September 24, 2009 12:44AM
I hope it works out for you volcs0. Again, I have MonoPrice's converter that does the opposite -- two in fact (my converter's were a bit more expensive than the one you are eyeing) -- and it works fine for my basic needs. I would check the reviews on MonoPrice for your adapter.

Nathan
Posted by: Wailer
Date: September 24, 2009 09:21AM
If I recall, XBMC can output at 480p.

The best-value solution might be to pick up a 20" LCD w/HDMI and/or DVI for $150 or so. Another $50 or so and you can get a TV with tuner, speakers, remote, etc. This way if you decide to upgrade to Plex or whatever the equivalent is on the PC, you've got 720p/1080i covered.

At least you aren't buying some funky adapter that may or may not work.

The one drawback is that if you watch a lot of normal SD TV via analog cable, most HDTVs make SD look worse than on a CRT.
Date: September 24, 2009 09:30AM
Well, I have another possible solution. The kids' gaming PC has a 2 year-old Radeon 850XT. It has S-Video out, and I have an S-video-to-composite adapter cable. Maybe I'll switch the video cards - the new EAH4350 should be good enough for their gaming (I'm not sure how to compare the cards), and the 850XT should be good enough for 480p. I think. I'll try it tonight.

And yes, the best solution would be to change this old 20" CRT to a 20" LCD-TV (it is in a bedroom). I'll shop around.

Thanks for the ideas.
Date: September 24, 2009 11:52AM
Wailer
At least you aren't buying some funky adapter that may or may not work.

That MonoPrice converter will work fine. You aren't getting 480p from composite anyway.

volcs0,
Unless I am mistaken, most CRT TVs do not support progressive scan. You certainly do not have progressive scan without component. Hence my comment about not getting 480p from composite.

Do you have an older CRT monitor or extra LCD? You could connect directly to it via VGA and get 480p support.

Nathan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 51
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020