advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Re: MacResource NYC - Sunday, May 21 at 1:00 pm or Thursday, May 25th at 7:00 pm.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 12, 2006 07:45PM
Hi everyone,

One more time. Send me the PM to me with the details I requested if you're attending. Consider it an RSVP. No PM to me equates not attending.

Robert
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MacResource NYC - Sunday, May 21 at 1:00 pm or Thursday, May 25th at 7:00 pm.
Posted by: buggerd
Date: April 12, 2006 07:57PM
Here's a comprehensive photo review of Mindado:

[www.appleswitcher.com]

(WARNING *BANDWIDTH* due to actual photos of Minado, and a possibility you may find a few silly offensive photos added by others to the thread.)

(from AppleSwitcher.com post...)

Minado Sushi buffet is this HUGE almost city-block size Pan-Asian Buffet restaurant in midtown Manhattan. 32nd Street. It is gigantic, run by a Korean-Taiwanese conglomerate.

Don't think Korean-deli buffet bar. The waiters use walkie-talkies and there are 30 sushi chefs churning out fish as fast as they can to a buffet hundreds of feet long. Very clean and high-tech, this is astonishing when you stumble on it for the first time.

Fresh sushi in huge quantity every day, many choices, dessert pastry and fruit bar, bulgoki, Asian hijiki salads, katsu pork, chicken, beef barbeque, dessert bar and LOTS OF FRESH SUSHI, ALL YOU CAN EAT.

$13.95. It's all fresh and tasty, OK, not in the rarified strata, but for $13.95 you can get gorged and try every variety. Literally a block long buffet.

And female eye-candy. Oy vey, go during lunchtime and try to eat your food. (Photos not up to top par technically because they frowned on photos and I only had a shutter-lagged point and shoot, not my trusty Nikon D1).

This is a MUST VISIT when in Manhattan.

Well, it's been nice, but Hello, I must be going.....

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2006 11:02AM by buggerd.
Posted by: 3d
Date: April 12, 2006 08:21PM
With all this bickering on this thread, we New Yorkers have forgotten what's REALLY important...
Mega Millions Lotto is up to $220,000,000.00!!
Git yur tix. Next drawing is this Friday night.
Date: April 12, 2006 08:22PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2006 09:05AM by Stuffed Shirt.
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: April 12, 2006 08:29PM

[www.minado.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2006 09:08AM by Stuffed Shirt.
Date: April 12, 2006 09:40PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2006 09:24AM by buggerd.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: April 13, 2006 11:21AM
I would kill to find a place like that in Atlanta.

That's about all I can say. There are some nice restaurants, but nothing like that place.
And certainly not at that price (for what you get).

There are a few large generic oriental buffets, but atmosphere and food quality
are just OK. I'll bet with the NYC turnover of the food, there is never an item more
than a few minutes old on the buffet.
Date: April 13, 2006 11:32AM
There are actually several of them all over the place in NJ and of course one near a certain hefty fellow's residence as well. Check the website.

Date: April 13, 2006 12:25PM
Minado info:

Minado
6 East 32nd St,
New York 10016
Between 5th & Madison Ave

Phone: 212-725-1333
Feel free to call and confirm prices...

Minado Payment:
Cash, Credit Cards

Discount parking at Central Park (5th & Bdwy) on 32nd St.
Pay at Minado for parking (2 hrs=$8, 4 hrs=$12).

Prices:
Sunday Lunch - $15.95
Thursday Dinner - $25.95
tax+beverage+tip is extra

Yes, people leave tips here. The wait staff keeps the buffet area spotlessly clean. They clear empty plates very quickly... so you can grab a new plate for second, (third??) helpings. Water/soda refills are free and they come very fast. Sometimes without even asking. The wait staff at Minado work harder than most any typical restaurant.

Date: April 13, 2006 12:46PM
3d,

Thanks for posting that information!

I'd've done it myself but circumstances didn't allow today and you beat me to it - lol! Minado on LI is one of the more expensive buffet style place I've visited over the years. However, it's well worth it, especially when compared to the competition.

Everything you've said about the one in the city applies to the Minado here on the island. Glad to know that the place is consistent from location to location. It makes me look forward to the meet-up all the more!

Good food, good company. Can't ask for more than that! smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: Monster
Date: April 13, 2006 08:27PM
Are we there yet?

The Taoist Zhuangzi said, "Good order results spontaneously when things are let alone".
The sociologist, and historian, Adam Ferguson described the phenomenon of spontaneous order in society as the "result of human action, but not the execution of any human design".
Date: April 16, 2006 10:11AM
The official NYC MacResource Meet-up is... Sunday, May 21 at 1:00 pm at Minado!

Hi everyone,

I've tallied up the information as provided to me via private message. The date for the NYC MacResource Forum Meet-up is Sunday, May 21 at 1:00 pm.

The definite attendees are:

Robert M
Trisho
The_Poochies
Monster

3d and Mattkime are maybes. I'm hoping they'll be able to join us. Guitarman said he'd join us in the thread, though he didn't PM me to confirm it. If circumstances allow, I'm hoping Wowzer can join us but if not, I'll make sure to have pictures for him!

Dennis R has offered to donate buttons for us to wear. Although I haven't given him a yes or a no, I do want to thank him for his generosity. It's much appreciated!

So, now that we have a definite day, time and location, I hope more members will join us in the city! Bring friends! Bring family! Bring everyone! It ought to be a fine afternoon with lots of laughter and fun. smiling smiley

My best,

Robert

P.S. A second thank you to 3d for getting the info about Minado. Here it is:

Minado
6 East 32nd St,
New York 10016
Between 5th & Madison Ave

Phone: 212-725-1333
Feel free to call and confirm prices...

Minado Payment:
Cash, Credit Cards

Discount parking at Central Park (5th & Bdwy) on 32nd St.
Pay at Minado for parking (2 hrs=$8, 4 hrs=$12).

Prices:
Sunday Lunch - $15.95 plus tax and tip

Date: April 16, 2006 03:10PM
dude, it's a sunday. you can park legally on the side streets in that area. just make sure you check the parking signs.

Date: April 16, 2006 06:52PM
Guitar,

That was just cut and paste information, not me saying people should pay for parking. However, I was just by the restaurant this afternoon. Parking on the street could prove to be a pain in the butt. Makes me happy I'm going to just hop a train and walk to it from Penn Station.

Robert
Re: MacResource NYC - Sunday, May 21 at 1:00 pm at Minado. See the thread for more details!
Date: April 16, 2006 10:51PM
FYI: For anyone driving into the city on Sundays...

ANY parking spot on the street with a meter (including muni-meters) is free for the entire day on Sundays. Side streets AND avenues. They just changed this 4 (?) months ago. So many of the street signs have not been updated yet. There are still alot of no standing/parking zones, bus lanes, and hydrants, in that area because it's a commercial area, so watch out.
Re: MacResource NYC - Sunday, May 21 at 1:00 pm at Minado. See the thread for more details!
Date: April 17, 2006 10:04AM
Hi everyone,

Please add Sam Ward to the list fo attendees!

My best,

Rob

P.S. Minado looked like it was seriously hopping yesterday!
Date: May 02, 2006 02:57PM
Hi everyone,

19 more days to the MacResource lunch at Minado!

Robert
Date: May 02, 2006 10:31PM
I'm waiting, and waiting, and waiting.

The Taoist Zhuangzi said, "Good order results spontaneously when things are let alone".
The sociologist, and historian, Adam Ferguson described the phenomenon of spontaneous order in society as the "result of human action, but not the execution of any human design".
Date: May 07, 2006 06:14PM
Yes, this is a double-post. My apologies in advance to anyone for which this may offend. Since this is the weekend I didn't want the info to get buried for people who only check MacResource during the workweek...

Original post:
[forums.macresource.com]

**ALERT**
NYC Macresource get-together restaurant, MINADO, has gone out of business!
It is no longer there.

As what happens in NYC quite often, what was here one day is gone the next. Minado has been bought out (?) overnight. All evidence of it's existence is gone. Painted over. And re-invented.

In it's place is "TODAI" buffet. All-you-can-eat seafood/sushi buffet.
It's motto: "The mother of all seafood buffets"

[www.todai.com]

It just opened last Friday 5/5/06.
It was totally a bizarre coincidence that i was there for the grand opening of Todai...

Last Friday night my girlfriend and i were strolling around Manhattan looking for a place to have dinner after work. Neither of us had a craving for anything in particular so we decided to stroll around 'til we saw something that struck our fancy. We found ourselves walking in the direction of KoreaTown so we thought it might be a good idea to sniff around. As we walked down 32nd street we started hearing drums. Big booming drums. Our first thought that popped into our heads... ohno is there a protest march or something?! Wait it sounds pretty good. Is it a liondancers troupe? A Chinese restaurant grand opening? Hmmm,, no, it doesn't sound like liondancer drums... wait what's that over there? Takio drums! Wait a sec that's Minado over there, but where's the Minado sign? In it's place is a restaurant called Todai. New sign. Same facade. 3 big taiko drum players ceremonialy banging away and a large crowd of onlookers milling around.

OHNO!! What happened?! Where's my beloved Minado?!

Our curiosity took the better of us and we decided to have dinner there to test it out. The decor inside looks about the same as i remembered it. Nice, clean, bright and airy. Same layout. Got seated promptly. Our waiter whips out a card with tonight's special. One pound steamed lobster for EIGHT bucks. Half a lobster for FOUR bucks. VERY tempting. It's not often that i turn down an eight dollar one pound steamed lobster, but we came for the buffet. Heineken beer for me. And i'm hitting the buffet line...

Food was OUTSTANDING. Just as good or even better than Minado. They either switched the chefs or they wanted to go all out for the opening day menu. Scallops, dumplings, shumai, gyoza, short ribs, shrimps, teriyaki chicken, raw oysters on the half-shell, beef skewers, fried baby calamari (not cut up squid, ie. rings) but whole tiny baby calamari lightly fried, smoked salmon, seaweed salad, cellophane noodle salad, tuna salad, macaroni salad, leafy salad, Then there was the sushi,, salmon, tuna, eel,etc., rolls galore, sashimi up the wazoo. Made-to-order udon noodle bar with server, hibachi grill with cook, crepe grill with cook, nicely presented fruit buffet with pretty much everything you can want, ice cream freezer with two girls scooping out the flavors, small bite size cookies, cheesecakes, layered cake, creme brulee, pudding, fruit tarts,, and much more.

We had dinner there two days ago and I'm just typing this off the top of my head. So i'm positive i'm forgetting 80% of it. This stuff i've mentioned is just the tip of the iceberg.

After the meal, we were stuffed. The service was great. Extremely friendly and attentive for such a large restaurant. The hot food was super hot and cold food was ice cold. No empty buffet trays. Food was coming out from the kitchen at a lightning pace right before my eyes. Since tips usually get split between the waiters, busboys, cooks, and all the people behind the scenes, we left a very nice tip.

Have no fear. Although Minado was a great restaurant. Todai is a worthy replacement. And a worthy place to hold the first ever NYC MacResource get-together.
Date: May 08, 2006 08:18AM
3d,

Many thanks for posting about this! I'd been in and out so much over the weekend that i hadn't checked the forum. Todai sounds like a worthy replacement for Minado and I'll change the subject line accordingly!

Robert
Re: MacResource NYC - Sunday, May 21 at 1:00 pm at Todai. See the thread for more details!
Date: May 08, 2006 12:44PM
Todai

It sounds good to me

Re: MacResource NYC - Sunday, May 21 at 1:00 pm at Todai. See the thread for more details!
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: May 08, 2006 05:37PM
I'm still a-comin'.
Date: May 08, 2006 08:04PM
Hi everyone,

Add Srabadan to the list! And, Srabadan may brings a friend or two as well.

My best,

Robert
Date: May 09, 2006 08:25AM
Hi everyone,

We're getting buttons! I just dropped Dennis a quick note about buttons and took him up on his offer. Hopefully, he'll have time to make them for us.

My best,

Robert
Date: May 11, 2006 09:52AM
Photo hosting for the NYC lunch - volunteer needed ASAP!

Hi everyone,

Hosting photos and is such is a tad outside of my expertise. I realize it may be more work than anticipated but I'd rather have it done right the first time. With that in mind, I'm asking one of the attendees to volunteer to handle the photo hosting and such responsibilities. Worst case, I'll manage to get it done though I can't offer much hope for the results.

Thanks,

Robert
Date: May 11, 2006 10:20AM
Hi everyone,

Grim has volunteered to handle the photo hosting for us.

Many thanks to him!

My best,

Robert
Date: May 15, 2006 10:09AM
MacResource NYC Lunch. Less than a week to go! What do I wear?

Hi everyone,

Yups! Less than a week before MacResource NYC! I'm looking forward to it. The question is whether to break out the uber on the vanguard of fashion genius clothes or stick with plain ol' jeans and a nice shirt. Me, I'm inclined to go with jeans and a nice shirt. That's just me. I just _know_ the moment I break out the spiffier clothes that part of my lunch will drip on my shirt or drop on my lap. It's just bound to happen. Then again, I've not been to Todai and can't vouch for what is considered appropriate clothing for the restaurant. If it's anything like Minado, then jeans and a nice shirt will be just fine.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Sunday!

My best,

Robert
Re: MacResource NYC - Sunday, May 21 at 1:00 pm at Todai. One more week!!!!!!!!!!
Date: May 15, 2006 11:49PM
I'll second the jeans and shirt, I'm certainly not wearing a dress.

Re: MacResource NYC - Sunday, May 21 at 1:00 pm at Todai. One more week!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: trisho.
Date: May 17, 2006 12:00PM
I just realized: How are we going to recognize one another? Isn't Todai huge? In which section of the restaurant are we meeting?

Sorry, I need to eat lunch.

trisho.
----------------
Official Card-Carrying Mother Earthin' Sl*t.
Date: May 17, 2006 12:06PM
Trisho,

You beat me to that! I was going to suggest we meet outside. I'm going to call ahead to see if I can reserve a table but I suspect they don't take reservations. Either way, I'll post a note on Saturday or early Sunday with what I'm wearing so it's easy to recognize me, i.e. jeans, what color shirt and such.

Robert
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 17, 2006 01:05PM
Or everyone needs to wear a pocket protector with the Apple logo grinning smiley

so the event is "Todai" and not on Sunday?

grinning smiley

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 17, 2006 08:07PM
Are we doing anything else afterwards? Stroll around Bryant Park? Bar?

trisho.
----------------
Date: May 17, 2006 08:54PM
Trisho,

Don't know yet. I figure scarf some food, enjoy lots of fun and laughs and take it from there.

Four more days and counting!

Robert
Date: May 17, 2006 09:16PM
2 words. . .

Kara. . .oke!

Date: May 19, 2006 09:03AM
Hi everyone,

Two more days and counting! And, I promise, if we do Karaoke afterwards, I won't sing. Believe you me, if I sang during karaoke, this would be the forums first _and_ last luncheon. That or I'd be banned from them in the future. smiling smiley

Robert
Date: May 19, 2006 12:15PM
Hi everyone,

The buttons arrived and they're looking sharp! A special thanks again to Dennis R for making them for us!

Robert
Date: May 19, 2006 12:19PM
here. . .here!!!!

smiling smiley

Date: May 19, 2006 04:53PM
I was thinking of paying a visit to the new Apple store on fifth ave. afterwords, but then again I never know what I'm going to do.

Date: May 20, 2006 02:51PM
I think a post-lunch visit to the new midtown Apple Store may be in the cards. That would be a cool place for a group photo.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 20, 2006 03:19PM
gee, 1000 views and 89 posts. I'm sorry I can't make it. should be scary fun

!#$@@$#!

proofraed by OwEn the c@t.

Nobody remembers their first download, but everyone remembers their 1st LP.
Date: May 20, 2006 05:11PM
Hi everyone,

I'll be in blue jeans and dark greenish -blue shirt tomorrow. Depending on the weather, either a black leather jacket or a blue denim jacket. If denim, then the Macresource NYC lunch button will be on the jacket. If leather, then on my shirt. Either way, I've no doubt you'll know me when you see me!

See ya'll tomorrow!

Robert
Date: May 20, 2006 05:11PM
Robert M, what's the final count/list of people attending tomorrow?

trisho.
----------------
Posted by: estnyc
Date: May 20, 2006 07:28PM
Is it too late for me to count myself in?

Date: May 20, 2006 07:45PM
estnyc
Is it too late for me to count myself in?

Just send Robert M a PM and I'm sure he'll find room for you at the table.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: May 20, 2006 11:12PM
Wow! Sounds like you guys will have a great time. Enjoy and take plenty of photos. I'll be close but not close enough. (Going to Williamsburg, Bklyn to take the mom and sis out for a late mother's day Italian dinner).

Have some bait and plum wine for me! smiling smiley

JoeM
Date: May 21, 2006 08:13AM
est,

Too late? Not at all! Definitely join us! The more the merrier. I'll put you on the definite list. We've got buttons to spare - lol!

I'll be catching an 11:45 train from Long Island which should get me into Penn by 12:20 or so. That should give me ample time to get to Todai by foot or cab. It's beautiful out right now so I'm inclined to walk it.

My camera is charged and raring for pictures and I've got plenty of storage for lots of pictures. I'm waiting for Grim to get back to me with details about where to send him the pictures. Hopefully, he'll drop me a PM or e-mail by the time I return to Long Island.

See everyone in a few hours!

Robert

P.S. Here is a final count/tally of everyone who is joining us so far...

Definites:

Robert M
Trisho
The_Poochies
Monster
Sam Ward
Srabadan
EstNYC

Maybe:

Guitarman
3D
Date: May 21, 2006 09:15AM
I just called Todai for prices because I wasn't sure how much money to take with me. The prices are:

$16.95 Lunch Buffet
$1.50 Soda
$4.00 Beer [roughly]

I didn't get the price for wine, but add a buck or two probably.

trisho.
----------------
Date: May 21, 2006 10:06AM
11:56 train, hmmmm, I wonder if Todai has wireless, bring a laptop and post geeky pics from the restaurant, naah - too much to carry.
I'm debating on bringing my camera, I think it's time to get a pocket sized one, the Dimage Z2 gets in the way, and the last time I tried to get it in my pocket I ripped my pants :-)
Todai awaaaaaay!

Date: May 21, 2006 07:23PM
previously posted in the MacResource NY meet-up Apple Store visit thread

left to right

Monster, Trisho., Poochies, RobM

I really liked the black MacBook Pro, but maybe not $200 dollars more worth of like.
It looks much better in person than in pictures, I have to wonder what the dirt and oils from your wrists & arms would look like on it after prolonged use.
What about scratches, I saw one that had a fair sized nick in it, and it appeared to be black plastic all the way through, that's a plus.

We tried to set up a four way iChat video conference, but due to the bandwidth being stretched thin, we suffered from a continuous plague of dropped connections, come on Apple, you know it will be busy, beef things up so we can play.
Oh well, maybe it will be better when I go back at three or four in the morning.

Trisho made me walk up the glass stairs in front of her when we left, why don't people trust me, or is that just the female peoples?

It was great meeting everyone, or at least the three others that showed up, and I just realized that we forgot to get our buttons from Robert, dang!
I guess that's a good excuse to get together for another meeting, YAY!
maybe we should meet at one of those bars that Trisho & poochies used to hang out in, yeah, that's it.

Date: May 21, 2006 09:36PM
Monster
maybe we should meet at one of those bars that Trisho & poochies used to hang out in, yeah, that's it.

The bar is called Sophie's although there is no sign indicating the name. It's a dive bar, but they have a jukebox and a pool table. It's in the East Village. Hangovers are guaranteed for all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2006 09:36PM by the_poochies.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 391
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020