advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
G4 iMac startup problem
Posted by: rouderon
Date: October 05, 2009 03:13PM
Recently bought a used 17" g4 iMac 1ghz and the guy I bought it from said he has been having to reset the PRAM to start it up. I was able to start it up and install Tiger. When it wakes from sleep I get the spinning beach ball and have to do a hard shut down. I also have to reset PRAM several times to start it up (usually starts to a white screen). I have started into Open Firmware and reset the NVRAM and am about to open it up and reset the PMU (not sure if this will help). I feel it may be the clock battery as Open Firmware shows slightly different time and date than what is current (I assume when it does start it's getting the correct settings from the internet as it always shows the correct time). I also swapped out the user accessible ram thinking that could be the problem - still the same results. Any other ideas (or am I correct in assuming it's the clock battery)?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: G4 iMac startup problem
Posted by: S.Taylor
Date: October 05, 2009 03:49PM
I've seen the battery have a similar effect on other machines. Seems the likely suspect.

This remote controlled tree is a must for the person who wants to be on the cutting edge of Christmas technology.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: October 05, 2009 04:08PM
I would agree the PRAM battery could be the problem. What happens when you take it totally out of the unit and try to start it up?

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Date: October 05, 2009 04:12PM
WhiiP - I haven't tried that, but it's the lamp iMac. In order to get to the battery, do I have to break the seal on the thermal paste?
Date: October 05, 2009 05:04PM
rouderon
In order to get to the battery, do I have to break the seal on the thermal paste?

Nope, it should be right next to the user-replaceable ram dimm, under the user cover.

This remote controlled tree is a must for the person who wants to be on the cutting edge of Christmas technology.
Date: October 05, 2009 06:23PM
Cool - I'll check it out
Date: October 05, 2009 07:01PM
dumb question - can I put the clock battery from my 700 mhz g4 imac into the 1ghz imac?
Posted by: Doc
Date: October 05, 2009 07:23PM
Fer gosh sake, just buy a second battery from Radio Shack. It's a 3.6v 1/2 AA Lithium lighter battery. You'll also need some thermal paste (a.k.a. "grease") as per this guide.

[www.r3uk.com]
Date: October 05, 2009 07:48PM
Dammit, I got it wrong. You probably will need the grease.
Terribly, terribly sorry.

Date: October 05, 2009 09:42PM
Yeah - realized I would need to 're-grease' after I opened it up: cleaning the dust and thought it was a build-up of dust on the spots that need the paste. Once I tried to wipe it I realized :-)

Anyway, it was the hard drive. Original was having problems powering up when I connected it to an external usb adapter.

Doc - was just looking for a quick fix since I had the 2 iMacs open and RS was about to close. Thanks for the grease guide - I'll need to grease it once I get a new battery (just closed it back up for now to install OS and make sure it worked)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 130
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020