advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The toads, the toads! The toads, the toads!
Posted by: SteveO
Date: April 10, 2006 09:24PM
They're finally here, at MY house! (Er, outside!) I put in a water garden two years ago and the little buggers FINALLY found it. Now they're out in front AND back, how cooli is that? Very few calls in nature are as sonorous as the sound of the toad's mating call. I'm thinking these are Spring Peepers.

Yeah, um, I like crawly things! Plus they eat pesky mosquitos and other biting insects.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The toads, the toads! The toads, the toads!
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: April 10, 2006 09:36PM
Be careful mowing!
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 10, 2006 09:41PM
Uh oh. You KNOW what I'm going to say next...

1) PICTURES, DAMMIT!

2) Depending on species (see #1 above), I might ask you to catch a few for me... I am serious.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: graham1352
Date: April 10, 2006 09:45PM
Watch out for this one...

[home.comcast.net]

No, I don't know what it is smiling smiley
Posted by: iaJim
Date: April 10, 2006 10:06PM
We have to clean our pond this week, and as of right now, the toads haven't arrived. I hope we get it done before they show up. We usually have around ten pairs that sing all night. The first time I heard it I thought that it was a bearing going out of someone's air conditioner. I love watching them and seeing the long gelatinous strings of eggs turn into tadpoles. They are great eaters of algae, and great for the environment. Lots of toads means a healthy pond.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: April 10, 2006 10:10PM
Pix would require me to get off my arse and STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD...actually I'm doing some work tonight but maybe tomorrow I'll try to snap some and post back to this thread.

As for catching/sending them to you...ehhhh, chances of that are not high. I need as many of these guys around here as I can possibly get. Good point on the mower, Gutie! ;)

Yeah, watch out for THAT one, graham!
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: April 10, 2006 11:04PM
yay! I do hope you can get pics. I'd love to see 'em.

By the way, could I send you a couple frozen pinkies? I need for you to rub them on the toads & send them back to me. I have a picky baby western hognose who's apparently holding out for a frog or toad. Often, scenting a pinky mouse with a toad will supposedly do the trick. You wouldn't mind...would you? smiling smiley
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 10, 2006 11:05PM
SteveO, take the number you see and hear, and multiply by five.

That's the actual number you have around, trust me. smiling bouncing smiley

Once they find a good "niche" (as they have in your case), they will frequent it, and come back around so long as it continues to be so. In that way, they are sort of like birds-- like how the birds, once they find a good nesting spot, will come back year after year.

If they're spring peepers, more info than you wanted to know here: [www.fcps.k12.va.us]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 62
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020