advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: DirecTV coax run.. how long?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 21, 2005 07:02AM
Hoping to put a third satellite box on my system so my daughter can have TV in her apartment.

However the apartment is between 150' and 200' from the dish.

Can the signal go that distance between the dish and receiver or will she need a separate dish?

Does satellite need special coax and splitters?

TIA

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: DirecTV coax run.. how long?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: December 21, 2005 07:07AM
Not sure about the distance, but you will need RG-6 for a long run like that. They say you can't use RG-59, but I've used it without problems for short runs

You can't split a satellite signal. You need a multiplexer, which takes 2 connections from a dual LNB dish and gives you 4 outputs.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: December 21, 2005 09:30AM
You can likely run the coax that far and the picture quality be just fine, with no issues that you will notice; you can always add a small amplifier, if necessary.

If she is going to have her own receiver, then you'll likely need to upgrade your LNB (coax connectors on the Dish, itself) to a triple LNB...although I have tinkered around and have split the coax and used two receivers with it...so I don't know what to tell you. I would recommend the upgrade.

DirecTV will likely install this for you, for free...if you ask, since you'll be adding more service - but I understand if you are trying to avoid the DirecTV route, due to this receiver being at a "different address" than your account.

Lots of new, cheap dishes out there that you can replace your current on with, that will do the job: [search.ebay.com]

...in fact, I'm thinking about upgrading mine (for HD) - so I might buy one. lol
Posted by: Dick Moore
Date: December 21, 2005 08:38PM
Use RG-6 rated for buried use. You can go a couple hundred feet OK at the standard DTV frequencies around 1.5GHz.

What it is, man, a low-down and funky feelin'
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 26, 2005 04:44AM
If it makes it from the satellite do you really think it can't make it the last 200 feet winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020