The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Who likes/hates Roombas?
Posted by: davester
Date: November 16, 2009 12:45PM
Poll
Do you like the Roomba?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
27 votes were received.
The Roomba is better than the second coming. 8

30%
Roomba shmoomba. I do it the old fashioned way. 6

22%
Comme ci, comme ca. They're alright but no great shakes. 7

26%
What the heck is a Roomba? 6

22%

Since we have a dog and cat who both shed, leading to pet hair tumbleweeds within a week of vacuuming, I was thinking of getting a Roomba. The reviews of these things are very inconsistent...either "I hate it" or "I love it". Have you folks used these things? If nothing else they seem like they'd be entertaining.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2009 12:46PM by davester.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Who likes/hates Roombas?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 16, 2009 12:46PM
it also entertains the animals.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 16, 2009 12:48PM
...like to but I have 2 left feet...I can barely do the cabbage patch....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 16, 2009 12:49PM
Search youtube for "roomba driver"... grinning smiley

Don't have one, but love the idea... I also think that it'll be a few more technological generations before it's really 100% practical.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 16, 2009 12:56PM
Never even seen one in person, seems like a good idea but I have no problem doing it myself. I don't have any pets at the moment, but our last cat shed many times his weight in fur over the years which was eventually vacuumed up. Might be nice to not have to deal with it in person but it seems lazy to not.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: November 16, 2009 01:01PM
There is a version that is made for pets. Get that version. The regular version does well with the day to day sweeping but it chokes on pet hair.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: earache
Date: November 16, 2009 01:03PM
We have a dog, two cats, wood floors and uncontrollable dust bunnies. Just acquired a new Roomba (551 from Costco) and it works great at keeping those dust bunnies at bay. I would not count on it to replace a real vacuum, but it certainly is great for maintenance.

earache
Posted by: JoeM
Date: November 16, 2009 01:03PM
Yeah man, I don't usually go for the hip hop/rap thing but that Pitbull dude is Okbime:

one-two-three-four
Uno-do'-tres-cuatro
Rumba (Si)
Ella quiere su Rumba (Como?)
Rumba (Si)
Ella quiere si Rumba (Como?)

JoeM
Posted by: rz
Date: November 16, 2009 01:12PM
I have a friend who has 2 dogs and a cat, and she swears by it. She has tile throughout her house, though, and it's all on one level. I have 3 cats that shed like crazy, but more than half the house is carpeted, and there's two steps down from the dining room to the living room. It wouldn't work for us.
Posted by: Carm
Date: November 16, 2009 01:31PM
It wouldn't last a day at home, dogs would kill it.
SIL loves hers though.
Posted by: Wailer
Date: November 16, 2009 02:12PM
Roombas are great when time is more precious than money.

It's not the most efficient method of cleaning, but it sure helps a lot when you have 2 kids who drop crumbs everywhere and you feel the need to clean or sweep nightly.

I use it frequently in the kitchen and less frequently where I have to pick up stuff before cleaning.

I'd wait to find one on woot for around $135.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 16, 2009 02:49PM
I'm still waiting for one of these - And that dang flying car they promised us.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 16, 2009 02:59PM
Since Rosie did all the housework and Mrs. Jetson did not work, what exactly DID Mrs. Jetson do all day?

Date: November 16, 2009 03:23PM
I think she spent her time servicing the pool robot.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: November 16, 2009 03:44PM
davester
I think she spent her time servicing the pool robot.

Yer makin me LOL @work with these comments!
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: November 16, 2009 04:25PM
We've been wanting one of these for a while and Santa is planning on bringing one; I was just going to post an "any recommendations" thread.

The trick, I believe, is not to think it can replace you vacuuming but augment it. I'd like to think of it as a roving dust buster more than a replacement vacuum.

Date: November 16, 2009 04:31PM
If you're thinking of getting one, note that there is an outlet store that sells refurbs at iRobot (only 90 day warranty though) at waaaay below regular price. Some of the geeks at robotic reviews suggest buying one of those and augmenting with a squaretrade warranty. They also said that tomorrow there's going to be a further 10% off on certain roombas.

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 16, 2009 06:07PM
I have very large old area rug in out Den that has like 2" fringe or whatever you call on 2 ends
how would the one for pet hair handle the fringe?

Grateful11
Date: November 16, 2009 06:44PM
According to their website, this was a problem for the older models but they have specifically addressed it for the newer ones. Apparently they are able to detect and spit back out fringes, bootlaces and the like.

Posted by: Michael
Date: November 16, 2009 09:49PM
Our 500 series (from Costco) nicely ignores the fringe on rugs. Who knows how it does it...

The only problem is having to take it apart on occasion to take hairs and such from around the brush and wheel.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 16, 2009 10:22PM
Have a Roomba and a Scooba. Our home is a lot cleaner because of it.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Spock
Date: November 16, 2009 10:24PM
My Roomba is great for dealing with the dust bunnies and there is no better feeling than vacuuming the bedroom floor whilst laying on the couch watching TV.

My Scooba takes care of the tiled floor in the kitchen and Dining Room.

I also have a Dyson Animal to cope with the hair from two cats.

Oh, and a Dyson cordless. Very good for cleaning the last bits of crud from inside my Roomba.

Rinse, repeat.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 206
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020